Deadguy

516h followed me home

Deadguy

Today a 516h followed me home.  The body work is straight, the paint is shiny, and it has 495 hours on it.  But, the fuel line is hard and cracked, but it will run as long as fuel is being dribbled down the carb. The tires are old and hard too.  It does have the limp-wristed, metrosexual Eaton 700 as an excuse for a transmission, so it isn’t good for anything other than mowing the lawn, but at least I got a 42” rear discharge deck out of the deal!

00E2045C-8649-4B91-AF67-83621D07F41E.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 6

Bert

Looks great  :) could swap in an 8 speed. 

• Like 2

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:          Looks like a keeper. If you wish to stay with the hydro an Eaton 1100 will be an easy swap.       :twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

Deadguy

For now, after the fuel line is changed, it will probably be going to the in-laws for lawn mowing duty.  After that, I do have an old 312h with a cracking frame that has an 1100 to donate....

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

muz123

Congrats on the new horse! Looks clean! Will be perfect for mowing. 

Dave 

Deadguy

By the way, is it easy to swap on an old Sundstrand?  I do have access to a strong Sundstrand that is currently attached to a broken C-series frame.

WHX??

By the way you stole it too Tom! :ph34r: I won't tell the others what you paid if I get seat time! :lol: Dan &  I was chomping at the bit for that one and musta have just missed it by a couple hours. Least it stayed in our RS family!  Didn't figure it had a 700 in it tho. Should be not too hard of a swap.  I would do the Eaton swap... you'd have a beast!

• Like 1

Achto

Good job on that one "Quick Draw". :D Way too good of a deal to pass up. Glad to see that it went to a good home.

• Like 1

953 nut
6 hours ago, Deadguy said:

By the way, is it easy to swap on an old Sundstrand?  I do have access to a strong Sundstrand that is currently attached to a broken C-series frame.

Sundstrands don't have a brake on the transmission and the motion control linkage would need to be adapted to the new home. Anything can be done, but you will find a few good threads on here that show how well the 1100 fits.

• Like 1

Deadguy
17 hours ago, Achto said:

Good job on that one "Quick Draw". :D Way too good of a deal to pass up. Glad to see that it went to a good home.

It is not confirmed as a good deal yet! I replaced the fuel line and filter and it still won’t run unless it is on full choke.  I will be cleaning the carb and changing the plugs, and if that doesn’t fix it, i could be looking at the dreaded Onan loose valve seat problem.  It could still end up being an expensive machine after all...

• Sad 1

Deadguy
13 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Sundstrands don't have a brake on the transmission and the motion control linkage would need to be adapted to the new home. Anything can be done, but you will find a few good threads on here that show how well the 1100 fits.

Speaking of which, when the brake lever is pressed, it does not return the motion control lever to neutral.  Is that how the 516 with the Eaton 700 is set up, or could there be a missing or broken linkage in there?

953 nut
2 minutes ago, Deadguy said:

missing or broken linkage in there?

That is what you have.

Deadguy
17 hours ago, WHX17 said:

By the way you stole it too Tom! :ph34r: I won't tell the others what you paid if I get seat time! :lol: Dan &  I was chomping at the bit for that one and musta have just missed it by a couple hours. Least it stayed in our RS family!  Didn't figure it had a 700 in it tho. Should be not too hard of a swap.  I would do the Eaton swap... you'd have a beast!

I did reply to the ad within an hour of it being posted.  It does have bad tires and possibly some engine issues, so once you figure those costs in, it might not be a steal, even at the price it was posted at...

• Sad 1

Achto
20 minutes ago, Deadguy said:

it might not be a steal, even at the price it was posted at...

If all else fails you should be able to more than double the asking price by parting it out.

• Like 2

Deadguy
4 minutes ago, Achto said:

If all else fails you should be able to more than double the asking price by parting it out.

If worst case comes about, I would gladly trade that Onan for a Kohler Magnum!

• Like 2

WHX??
1 hour ago, Achto said:

:text-yeahthat:Dibs on some parts if it comes to that Tom but before you bury a dead horse :deadhorse: clean that carb, check the fuel pump. Check the cooling fins on the rear jug. A compression or leak down test will confirm the dreaded valve seat.

• Like 1

Deadguy

After checking the plugs, they were capped at .045”! So I recapped them to .025”.  I sprayed more B12 Chemtool thorough all the carb passages. I checked the fuel pump.  There was a bunch of crud behind it, and the vacuum hose was loose.  So I fixed both of those situations. I then moved the fuel filter from between the pump and carb to between the tank and pump.  So then I fire it up, and now it runs with the choke open.  Yay!  But it still seems weak.  I look at the plugs.  One is firing, and one is not.  I do a compression test, and both cylinders are at just under 120 psi.  So it looks like I am off to get done new plugs!

• Like 2

Deadguy

Replaced the plugs, now it runs on both cylinders, but still needs choke.  So I open up the carb.  What do you know,it is full of Unholy Goo.  I do not have enough carb cleaner for this! Back to town I go!

• Like 1

953 nut
24 minutes ago, Deadguy said:

,it is full of Unholy Goo.

:wwp:

Deadguy
27 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:wwp:

Oh shoot, I had already started cleaning it when I got this request!  Here, see how the gasoline in the float bowl looks like chocolate...

7610182B-4B05-41C4-8644-20DA4E5308A8.jpeg

Deadguy

And there at the bottom of the float bowl is done of our Unholy Goo...

F10D6A87-B552-4FEB-9CC2-E4A3B18E7C00.jpeg

Deadguy

Here’s a chunk of it on the can of cleaner.

A48232C0-8B21-4507-B80F-202C8C6DB8DE.jpeg

• Like 1

953 nut
39 minutes ago, Deadguy said:

chunk of it

Ethanol!

Deadguy

I hate ethanol!

Deadguy

It is running on both cylinders with the choke open, but it is surging.  Getting closer!

• Excellent 2