ronhatch

SEALED OR SHIELD?

ronhatch

What is the preferred type of bearing for a mower deck; sealed or shield?

Cvans

If it's a greasable spindle I will use sealed bearings and remove the inside seal on each bearing. 

If it's not greasable then use sealed bearings. There is too much chance of getting dirt and water in them to use shielded bearings.

Edited by Cvans
  • Like 3

WHX??

I don't think it matters a great deal Ron both types are made to wear out. . I run sealed just to help keep water out but wash my decks a lot. Sealed ones are also easier to pick the inside seal out for those who like to grease.

• Like 3

pacer

After running a Yard Man tractor for several years using sealed bearings in a similar spindle setup and having the bearings last and last, I have started using them on my horses. Got one thats in its 3rd season and still OK. I always hated having to pump and pump grease into the spindles to get the little bit of grease actually needed.

Along this same vein, I have also changed the front wheel spindles to sealed bearings also.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Cvans

Just a thought here, on sealed bearings (especially Chinese) I fill a syringe with grease and add extra grease to the bearing before installing it. Just slip the needle under the lip of the seal and add a little. Don't over do it or the bearing will heat up. I have also re-greased them this way. 

peter lena

found  (  royal purple  )  grease to be the saver in spindle bearings and the pto needle bearing , not only is it an  ultra performance rating grease , but you will notice and feel a smoother and faster running pto driven system. my mower decks and snow blower run without effort and drag. also take the time to lubricate and (  snug  up  ) any of the mechanical lever /engagement points, so the engagement is effortless. pete

ronhatch

Just to be clear, I was referring to the type of bearing seal that is best for a none greasable spindle, a black plastic seal or the metal shield, which I guess is also considered a seal..  Thanks 

1995 520H+96+97

Shielded would likely keep dirt and grass out of the lower spindle bearing.

• Thanks 1

doc724

On every deck spindle and tractor front wheels that I rebuild, I use double sealed bearings (double seal means a seal on both sides) and I remove the zerk fitting and replace it with a set screw so no one can screw it up.  Why?  Because if you let someone pump grease thru a zerk, you can never control that they will only put in three pumps worth.  People will pump until the grease comes out somewhere and that means that you have popped the single seal on one or more bearings, not to mention the mess and the anger from the Mrs. if you happen to track some of that spilled grease into the house.  Now the seal is good for nothing but to let water IN.  Also, I use only high quality bearings, Heim or equal.  None of these $5 Chinese bearings for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cvans
11 hours ago, ronhatch said:

Just to be clear, I was referring to the type of bearing seal that is best for a none greasable spindle, a black plastic seal or the metal shield, which I guess is also considered a seal..  Thanks 

Sealed.