Cadmandu

Solved run away tractor problem

Cadmandu

Hi all Happy Spring

Last year I posted about my tractor running off with me 40% of the time that I would go down my very steep hill in the back yard. Yesterday I changed my drive belt and found out that the 82" belt was a 1/2" wide instead of 5/8" and it had cracks in the side every 1/8" I'm sure that this was the problem. While removing the old belt I found a L shaped bracket above he pto with a break pad see below. I have a 89 312-8 can I buy one of these and what is it called? I have a new brake lining to install also what adhesive should I use?

Thanks

20180423_143708.jpg

WHX??

That bracket is a 110665 (94-6652) and can be here https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Brake-Lining/946652/1850844 or here https://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/31-12ke01-312-h-toro-312-h-garden-tractor-1990/pto-clutch-and-control/ This is just a brake pad to stop the PTO attachment quicker.

Most just use silicone adhesive or gorilla type glue to hold the brake lining on clamp and allow to dry.  Can use Goop or contact cement as well per @rmaynard

• Like 1

Cadmandu

Thanks is it important that I replace the brake assembly on the PTO?

I have the yellow foamy type of gorilla glue will that work.

Thanks for the link do they sell blades for a 42" cut c120 deck 5-1011

WHX??
1 minute ago, Cadmandu said:

replace the brake assembly on the PTO?

Only if you want the blades to stop quickly.

Here is some more info on your deck. You should be able to take your old blade(s) to any competent outdoor power center and they should be able to hook you up. Or Ebay the Toro part no and you will find all kinds of them

Any quality glue will work.

• Like 1

Cadmandu

Thanks so much for the great nanual. I think I have spindle with a d shape not two holes on each side. I will pull the blades and try to get the part number of the spindle. I think that the gym I bought it from built he deck for me from spare parts. He had a fresh bead of red silicon around the base of each spindle. We have a few days of rain when it stops I will get some pictures. Should all three blades be all mounted pointing in the same direction?

Thanks

gwest_ca

Click on the picture

Garry

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, Cadmandu said:

Should all three blades be all mounted pointing in the same direction?

Thanks

This does not matter. If the blades are the correct length, they will not contact each other.   Their  position to each other will change with time as the individual pulleys slip on the belt.

Just be certain they are all installed with the curved side up.

• Like 1

Cadmandu

Thanks for the great manual.

Thanks for the blade info I hit a tarp last year and sucked it in the blade might be bent. Can I still purchase the double d blade anymore?

gwest_ca

Check the blades you have for the size of center hole. If they are held on with a bolt and washer they should have a 5/8" x 3/4" double-D center hole.

If they are retained by a large 1-1/8" wrench size nut they should have a 3/4" center hole. If the spindle assemblies have been replaced they likely got these later versions.

Within the last year most suppliers have discontinued the double-D blades but you may find NOS (new old stock) at an established dealer.

There was a bushing made to use a blade with 3/4" hole on a 5/8" x 3/4" shaft but Toro wanted more for the bushing than the blade. Will see if I can find the info on it.

Garry

gwest_ca

Guess I got it backwards but don't understand how you can place a bushing with a 5/8" wide hole on a 3/4" shaft. Bushing is part number 109916.

Do the 3/4" shafts not have a 3/4" thread?

Garry

Mower Rotary 32in Bagger 1984-86 5 Bu 07-06BB01 Bushing SS.jpg

Cadmandu

Thanks for all your help you guys are highly appreciated.

We get a break on the rain until noon. So I will go out and pull a blade and get some pictures. I would like some help identify the spindle also. I think they are K type.

What actual 42" deck was supplied with the 1989 312-8?

Also the C-120 1975 42" deck which I think I have.

What is the best place to buy parts for the above deck and tractor?

Cadmandu

Okay got my blades off and greased my spindles. The blade are 14" long and each one had a different number I have a round center hole of 3/4" and a nut size of 1 1/8"

1) 106077

2) 746

3) 789

gwest_ca

Wheel Horse 106077 replaced by Toro 106636 3-blade set (3/4" round hole)

These are common original numbers if you look for other replacements.

Garry

Cadmandu

Thanks where is the best place to get them?

I need a plastics guide that goes over the tensioner slide also