porschpow

520 H Oil Change

porschpow

Hello all!

I am just wondering a few things since I am new at this:

How often should you change the oil?

I know it called for straight 30 SAE 30, if there a recommended name brand. (She does consume oil)?

How many quarts does she take?

Where is the drain plug/ oil filter?

Should I also change the oil for the transmission, it takes 10 w 30?

gwest_ca

Sounds like you need an operator manual. The ID decal should be under the left side of the seat. It will have the model number, serial number and possibly the Julian build date on it. With those we should be able to link you to the correct manuals.

Garry

WVHillbilly520H

Engine oil changed every 50-100 hours of run time or at least annually and yes it has a drain plug/spout and filter 2.5 quarts with a filter change I use Castrol GTX and factory Onan filters but any brand name oil and NAPA/wix filter will do, transaxle change oil every 200 hours of run time and filter every 100 hours can't recall capacity at the moment and TORO or NAPA/Wix filters, Jeff. 

IMAG3748.jpg

IMAG4338.jpg

IMAG1989.jpg

IMAG2121.jpg

• Like 2

squonk

Napa 1762 engine filter, Napa 1410 trans filter. Shell Rotella 30W and Mobil 1 10/30

• Like 2

EricF

Oil has come a long way in quality over the last few decades since the engine was built... even "generic" SAE 30 oil you buy today is higher grade than the original "SF" spec in the manual -- "SN" is pretty much universal now. Brands available will vary somewhat regionally. Where I live, the auto parts counters tend to carry mostly the lightweight multi-viscosity oils -- mainly because of the strong push to high-mpg/low-emissions vehicles, which includes an undercurrent of limiting resources to keep older ones running - so you don't get a lot of choices in straight-weight oils. Even the 10w30 synthetic for the hydro isn't stocked with many choices -- 5w30 is carried in more selections, or "high mileage" 10w30 which contains additives to soften seals - which you don't want in the hydro system.

• Like 1

porschpow

It's a 73501 tractor. My guess it is a mid 90's model I have a photo with the serial number, I would have to dig it up.

But I would always have to top it off with Straight SAE 30 every other time I would cut the grass.  I do not know when it was changed last, and I ran the tractor the first time we "inherited" it all last season. So Yes, It is overdue to change the oil.  My question is, I would like to use Seafoam for cleaning out the crankcase as well the fuel tank. Would you advise for or against it?

---I have read somewhere that it takes 1.7 (almost 2) qts of oil for the crankcase (with filter)

As for the transmission/ Hydrostatic transmission, same goes for that.  I have to change that and in addition I would have to top it off once every month, if that. Can I seafoam that?

I have read somewhere that it takes 1.7 almost 2 qts of oil for the crankcase (with filter)

---I have read somewhere that it takes 5 qts of oil for the hydrostatic transmission (with filter)

WVHillbilly520H
2 hours ago, porschpow said:

It's a 73501 tractor. My guess it is a mid 90's model I have a photo with the serial number, I would have to dig it up.

But I would always have to top it off with Straight SAE 30 every other time I would cut the grass.  I do not know when it was changed last, and I ran the tractor the first time we "inherited" it all last season. So Yes, It is overdue to change the oil.  My question is, I would like to use Seafoam for cleaning out the crankcase as well the fuel tank. Would you advise for or against it?

---I have read somewhere that it takes 1.7 (almost 2) qts of oil for the crankcase (with filter)

As for the transmission/ Hydrostatic transmission, same goes for that.  I have to change that and in addition I would have to top it off once every month, if that. Can I seafoam that?

I have read somewhere that it takes 1.7 almost 2 qts of oil for the crankcase (with filter)

---I have read somewhere that it takes 5 qts of oil for the hydrostatic transmission (with filter)

I'm not a fan of Seafoam in the crankcase as you don't the history of the tractor you may "cleanse" it TOO well,  post #3 I referred to the crankcase capacity but I run the bigger -0800 oil filters, and yes that sounds about right for the hydro, honestly I have run 10w30 in the engine as well as the hydro since I bought mine new 20 years ago NO issues for me with the engine just my personal experiences, Shell rotella comes in 10w30 then if/when you need to top off hydro there wouldn't be any confusion of which oil to grab/use engine or hydro, Jeff.

• Like 1

porschpow

I wasn't going to put a lot of Seafoam in there, perhaps a small thimble if that..That is if I was going to do it.  I totally get it with not knowing what the history is before me

Would even a minute amount cause it to cleanse TOOO Well?

WVHillbilly520H
2 hours ago, porschpow said:

I wasn't going to put a lot of Seafoam in there, perhaps a small thimble if that..That is if I was going to do it.  I totally get it with not knowing what the history is before me

Would even a minute amount cause it to cleanse TOOO Well?

I'm just a firm believer in modern detergent oils like Castrol GTX, but if you want a cleaning agent that really won't harm anything, adding ATF or Marvel Mystery Oil would be my go to before changing the engine oil ,but by all means adding some Seafoam to the fuel tank is a good thing to do every fill up.

• Like 1

lynnmor

I always change the oil and filter together.  Using the longer -0800 oil filter, all three 520H's take exactly 2 quarts. 

• Like 2

porschpow
11 hours ago, lynnmor said:

I always change the oil and filter together.  Using the longer -0800 oil filter, all three 520H's take exactly 2 quarts. 

Lynmor,

What is the model number and name of the longer oil filter -0800

WVHillbilly520H
58 minutes ago, porschpow said:

Lynmor,

What is the model number and name of the longer oil filter -0800

Onan 122-0800

porschpow

I was unable to find the onan 122-0800, they offered a wix filter

WVHillbilly520H

All kinds on the internet...

Screenshot_20180427-130425.png

bo dawg
On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:43 AM, WVHillbilly520H said:

Engine oil changed every 50-100 hours of run time or at least annually and yes it has a drain plug/spout and filter 2.5 quarts with a filter change I use Castrol GTX and factory Onan filters but any brand name oil and NAPA/wix filter will do, transaxle change oil every 200 hours of run time and filter every 100 hours can't recall capacity at the moment and TORO or NAPA/Wix filters, Jeff. 

IMAG3748.jpg

IMAG4338.jpg

IMAG1989.jpg

IMAG2121.jpg

Where did you get the wheel horse cover on the shroud?

WVHillbilly520H
26 minutes ago, bo dawg said:

Where did you get the wheel horse cover on the shroud?

"Classic Kitchens and More"...

Screenshot_20180427-162025.png

Screenshot_20180427-161927.png

• Like 2

porschpow

Thanks  a lot guys! The oil came out like tar.   I noticed that the plug had an elbow and a pipe fitting that went out 90 degrees to make it easier to let the oil out. Nonetheless, I changed the oil, fuel filter, air cleaner

I NOTICED THE SPARK PLUGS WERE OUT .038, not the .025 it calls for!

the tranny oil 10W30 was still pretty clean, but I still changed it,

lynnmor
26 minutes ago, porschpow said:

The oil came out like tar.  

I would change it again in the near future.  I always fully warm up any of my engines (car, truck, toys and anything) and then drain the oil immediately after shutting it off.  That way, the oil is thinner and contaminates are stirred up and flow out with the oil.

cschannuth
On 4/25/2018 at 11:14 AM, WVHillbilly520H said:

I'm not a fan of Seafoam in the crankcase as you don't the history of the tractor you may "cleanse" it TOO well,  post #3 I referred to the crankcase capacity but I run the bigger -0800 oil filters, and yes that sounds about right for the hydro, honestly I have run 10w30 in the engine as well as the hydro since I bought mine new 20 years ago NO issues for me with the engine just my personal experiences, Shell rotella comes in 10w30 then if/when you need to top off hydro there wouldn't be any confusion of which oil to grab/use engine or hydro, Jeff.

So does the engine take 2.5 quarts or 1.7 quarts with the filter change? My old brain is a little bit confused.

lynnmor
5 hours ago, cschannuth said:

So does the engine take 2.5 quarts or 1.7 quarts with the filter change? My old brain is a little bit confused.

Onan 20 HP takes 2 quarts with the long oil filter.

• Thanks 1

tom2p

can't recall the last time I used straight 30w

one issue is the better / best motor oils might not be available in straight 30w

10w30 would be fine ... as would 10w40 (maybe better) ... as would 5w30 

( I've been using 10w30 and 5w30 

in 312-8 and 416-H for 20+ years - almost combined 2000 hours run time )

a high quality motor oil that continues to protect well at elevated / high temps is especially desirable for an air cooled engine  

tom2p
On 4/30/2018 at 8:21 AM, lynnmor said:

I would change it again in the near future.  I always fully warm up any of my engines (car, truck, toys and anything) and then drain the oil immediately after shutting it off.  That way, the oil is thinner and contaminates are stirred up and flow out with the oil.

agree - I would also change the oil again in the near future (sooner rather than later)

tom2p

416-H Onan apparently uses same oil filter 

Recently I've been using Cummins / Fleetguard LF3339 - 3" diameter and 4.5 length 

Some oil filters for this application can be slightly smaller diameter - and/or shorter or longer in length 

The original black Onan 122-0800 filters are 3" diameter and 4.25 length 

Toro 137-5012 / NN10147 is a smaller filter - slightly less than 3" diameter and just over 4" length

read somewhere NAPA filters for this application appear to be larger based on published dimensions (note:  some listed / published can not always be trusted) - around 4.8 " length 

Onan 122-0800  

Diameter :  3 "

Length     :  4.2.5 "

Fleetguard LF3339    

Diameter :  3 "

Length     :  4.5 "  (can be 

4.58 ")

Toro 137-5012 / NN10147 

Diameter :  2.92 "

Length     :  4.05 "

Edited by tom2p

lynnmor

You might be interested to know that Onan now packages the white Fleetguard  LF3339 in the green 122-0800 box.  You can search to find the Fleetguard filters at attractive prices on the internet.

tom2p
31 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

You might be interested to know that Onan now packages the white Fleetguard  LF3339 in the green 122-0800 box.  You can search to find the Fleetguard filters at attractive prices on the internet.

can recall I was bummed when I opened a green 122-800 box and was greeted with a white LF3339 instead of the black Onan filter 

I got over it - although the fashion police in me still prefers the appearance of the black Onan filter   lol

LF3339 is slightly larger - so it makes removal and install just slightly more challenging