kto434

36-inch vs. 37-inch mower decks

kto434

For those with experience running a 3-blade 36-inch and/or a 2-blade 37-inch mower deck which is a better choice for a 312-8 on a residential lawn?  Which gives the “nicer” cut?  Thanks!

09BEE168-D859-4815-A8E5-B9AD183A8945.jpeg

D976A167-3B72-4DB6-B568-621D5D94879C.jpeg

O2B__

I have no experience with the 36", but I do have a 37".  I don't use it because of poor cut quality.  As I recall, it left uncut grass when turning.

Ed Kennell

I have never even seen a 2 blade deck.   They must be somewhat rare.   I would stay with a 3 blade.  With the 4 rollers at the corners, I would think the 2 blade would be more likely to scalp on eneven lawns.

oldredrider

The 37" deck was common on the 300 series tractors. If it is adjusted properly,  it gives an excellent cut. Another advantage if the 37" is the option of adding a bagger. 

• Excellent 1

kto434

Thanks, guys.  Lots to consider.

clueless
3 hours ago, kto434 said:

Thanks, guys.  Lots to consider.

I currently have a 37"sd and a 36"rd for my 312-8, like all the WH deck I've owned if its not warped, and its mounted right and if its adjusted CORRECTLY! they both cut great. I still prefer the RD deck but that's just personal preference. Now on to the 37" sd, it will only fit tractors with the smaller front wheels. They also have a problem with cracking where the deck mounts to the cradle especially at the right front mounting bolts. Mine was cracked in three places, I had my local welding shop fix it, needed to make sure everything was level:handgestures-thumbupright:. I use the 37"sd with my Cyclone Rake, works great. If you decide to go with the 37" look it over real good top and bottom.  

Also you will need the correct mule drive for the 37" older ones used two v pulleys and the later ones used a v pulley and a flat idler pulley, two different belts depending on the configuration. If the 37" deck your looking at is the one in the picture, it looks a little road hard. Might be more information that you need but it may help with your decision. 

Good luck, Chris. 

Edited by clueless

kto434

Great tips, thanks.  I have a 36in RD which tends to windrow where my SD decks do not.  I like the size (for my yard and tractor) of the smaller decks and am considering a 36in SD or 37in SD.  For my needs/application the 36in SD probably would work fine.