thehoz

Mower deck blades questions

thehoz

Hi,

I have a wheel horse 310-8 from 1985. I just got from a friend and I don't think much has ever been done with it in years, if ever. It does run well. I want to replace the blades in the mower deck. I can't see any numbers. It is 3 blades and the are 12" 14" and 12". Any suggestions in what to replace with or look for? Thank you.

20180422_132131.jpg

20180422_132117.jpg

20180422_132114.jpg

dcrage

Your blades don't need to be replaced from what I can see -- From my view they look to have almost all of width still there; i.e. haven't been sharpened much -- Take them off, sharpen them (angle grinder with sanding wheel will do a good job), give your deck a good cleaning while you have the blades off including the top (I think there is a spring loaded tensioning slide for the belt under those belt guards, lube everything (should be at least 5 zerks; 2 for the wheels and 3 blade spindles); put everything back on and off you go -- Your deck looks to have a lot of life left in it

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH
11 minutes ago, dcrage said:

Your blades don't need to be replaced from what I can see -- From my view they look to have almost all of width still there; i.e. haven't been sharpened much -- Take them off, sharpen them (angle grinder with sanding wheel will do a good job), give your deck a good cleaning while you have the blades off including the top (I think there is a spring loaded tensioning slide for the belt under those belt guards, lube everything (should be at least 5 zerks; 2 for the wheels and 3 blade spindles); put everything back on and off you go -- Your deck looks to have a lot of life left in it

:text-yeahthat:

I always sharpen my own blades. Takes just a minute and you are off t the races...

:twocents-02cents:

• Thanks 1

peter lena

that 36" r/d deck is definitely overdue for basic clean up and blade sharpening . all of that caked on grass grunge is trapping moisture and future rot, after you scrape it off, you could let it air dry in the sun, just the opposite  of the life its been living. Then spray it down with a penetrating oil spray to counter the start of rot. leave the deck upside down for air and sun , hopefully you will save it, not that difficult . also check the spindle belt ,while you are lubing the spring tension slide. those 36r/d decks are really smooth and cut very well, regular maintenance , will help them live on , pete  

• Thanks 1

gwest_ca

Can't read the numbers on your deck decal. The long model number and serial on the top line and the 4-digit Julian build date on the 2nd line.

This is for a 1985 36" rear discharge deck. If the actual model number is different the blades and belts listed on the next page should be the same. Click on the picture.

We do not have the 1985 deck operator manual so this one should do

Garry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, dcrage said:

:text-yeahthat: Those blades are hardly worn.  

Worn blades look like this:

IMG_0080.JPG.32d9f43e90dc03b6996772c5ae0b223f.JPG

• Like 4

thehoz

Thank you all for the information...all very helpful.  This is my first tractor of any kind.  I will sharpen the blades...not myself as I don't have a grinder.  I also just bought a snow blade on Craiglist so I am just getting started.  Thanks again.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:     Did you get the axle bracket with the plow?

thehoz
Just now, Ed Kennell said:

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:     Did you get the axle bracket with the plow?

Well....I assume you mean the bracket that connects to the tractor where the mower deck connects....if so yes, and it has the handle to adjust the angle.  Got a great deal on it too.  Now it finally stopped snowing, but it will give me time to get chains and maybe wheel weights for next year.

953 nut
14 minutes ago, thehoz said:

just bought a snow blade on Craiglist so I am just getting started.

:WRS:           Next report will probably be that you bought your second :wh:.     :ychain:

5add15c122708_1Horse-a-holic.jpg.bdb45d33ae1b937bbccf5b5e0d998461.jpg

• Haha 1

thehoz

I hope not...not for a couple years at least!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, thehoz said:

Well....I assume you mean the bracket that connects to the tractor where the mower deck connects....if so yes, and it has the handle to adjust the angle.  Got a great deal on it too.  Now it finally stopped snowing, but it will give me time to get chains and maybe wheel weights for next year.

No, the plow frame mounts to a bracket that bolts to the rear axle.    The deck munts to the mid attach-a- matic under the engine.   They both attach to the center rock shaft for lifting.

Go to the manuals section and do a search for your tractor to find the manuals.

Marlowe Rasmusson
3 hours ago, thehoz said:

I hope not...not for a couple years at least!

I have never seen a Horse that doesn't like a Stable Mate!

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Click on the picture

Garry

• Thanks 1