BPEisenhower

C-195 help

BPEisenhower

Good afternoon Horse fans! I got bored and power washed the garbage find C195. I found this over a month ago and now have the itch to repaint this summer and find decals. Any advice on color and paint brand is welcome. I also washed Raider 14 and think it will be painted first but needs wiring and find correct decals too. It had bold white letter like the no names had. The people that gave me the C195 saw it today and can't believe it runs/mows and moves. I was told it was junk and have rocks in my head for wanting to keep it. Now that it's operating again, them people want it back. Lol. No, too bad. The gravel in my head won't move. Long story short, this was my great grandfathers tractor. It was sold in 91 at his auction when I was 12 and kept track of it for 27 years. Sadly it sat outside after it left our farm but now is back in the same shed when delivered in 82. Thank you all for the help with everything so far! Any information, advice on paint and decals is welcome. Have a great day and enjoy Horsing around! 🎉😊

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

boovuc

I use Rustoleum Sunrise Red for my WH Red match. (close to it).

For Blackhoods, I use a flat black to paint the hood's top and surrounds. Gloss black doesn't look original at all.

For Blackhood wheel rims, Rustoleum Antique white is almost perfect if you can find it anymore. I haven't bought any in years.

For decals, the only source you need to go to is this gentleman:

https://www.redoyourhorse.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BPEisenhower
19 minutes ago, boovuc said:

I use Rustoleum Sunrise Red for my WH Red match. (close to it).

For Blackhoods, I use a flat black to paint the hood's top and surrounds. Gloss black doesn't look original at all.

For Blackhood wheel rims, Rustoleum Antique white is almost perfect if you can find it anymore. I haven't bought any in years.

For decals, the only source you need to go to is this gentleman:

https://www.redoyourhorse.com/

Thank you for taking the time to help me! I wasn't sure about restoring or leave it be but, all the pictures I see of these WH repainted makes me believe it is aching for a fresh coat 😀

peter lena

having a black hood c 85 for 36 years, I use the gas grill, black satin finish for the best look, not bright and shinny , just a clean satin finish. I also use premium décor gloss  " fiesta red " for the main color. simple easy , prep , tape/paper masking and paint, keeps tractor looking fresh. just stay after it . pete

PeacemakerJack

I picked up my first Super C last fall and am looking forward to playing with it this summer.  My goal is to eventually do a complete restoration on mine and make it look better than the day that it left the factory.  They are an acquired taste for sure in the looks department but being the last of the "Big Wheel" :wh:'s they are really special machines.  I plan to have a rear three point and if I can find one, eventually a rear PTO.  What I really think is cool with yours @BPEisenhower is the fact that it has a family heritage with you.  I encourage you to become a member of  the forum.  It is very inexpensive but with allow you to post a bunch of pictures of your projects and the cash helps keep this great site up and running!  When you get ready to do the restoration, please start a thread in the restorations portion of the forum and we can all keep an eye on your progress.  One thing that would really add to the cool factor would be if you have any pictures of the tractor back when your grandpa owned it!  We love those vintage horse pics:wwp:!  

I have used several different reds in the past for my horse restos but I tend to be partial to Valspar IH red.  One thing interesting that many guys on here have found is that by changing the color of your primer, you can change the hue of your paint, the darker the primer, the darker, deeper the finish of the red...The wheels color will vary upon whether you prefer a linen white or a brighter white.  I like the linen or antique white myself...

Thanks for sharing this tractor with us and remember...These things are ADDICTIVE!

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Very nice machine. Always wanted one of those. I used Rustoleum regal red on my 854 when doing it over, the Super C is a beast of a rig. Good luck.

Glenn

Sarge

If you ever decide to turn loose of it (gravel does/can move), I'm only about 45 miles north of you. Always have hunted for a Super C, but they are pretty thin in our neck of the country.

Sarge

BPEisenhower

I've been hunting all day for Valspar Restoration IH Red and everyone I spoke to says it was discontinued 4 years ago 😢  So, it's either Rustoleum Sunrise Red or possibly go to Case IH dealer for paint. Is there a hardener for Rustoleum or is it compatible with Delthane/ Delstar? 

BPEisenhower
6 hours ago, Sarge said:

If you ever decide to turn loose of it (gravel does/can move), I'm only about 45 miles north of you. Always have hunted for a Super C, but they are pretty thin in our neck of the country.

Sarge

You're right Sarge, very few and far between around. The main reason my great grandfather bought it was because he lost use of left  leg and couldn't get on his farm tractors anymore. Thus being it was a hydro, he could maintain the lawn himself. Plus, it matched the I-H tractors we used. Only red power or orange.

PeacemakerJack
13 hours ago, BPEisenhower said:

I've been hunting all day for Valspar Restoration IH Red and everyone I spoke to says it was discontinued 4 years ago 😢  

Here is what you are looking for...

27428739-21DC-4DA8-BD51-7A17AAA7907E.jpeg.3fd55b2bf509a1b9365a28c1f0f1308b.jpegIf you google ”Valspar 5339-01” you will find all kinds of it still available on line ranging from $6-$15.  I have found it to be a really decent paint for spray bombs.  I believe they also have this available in qts and pints if you prefer to “roll your own”.  Other pro painters on here may disagree with me and I would respect their opinions more than mine. However, for the DIY guy, this is a really good product.  Lowe’s was my go to for this product but I just got off the line with an idiot there who wasn’t willing to help me.  He said, “We Don’t Have that on the shelf.” I said, “you ordered it for me in the past from your Valspar supplier by number.” He said, “Sorry sir, I can’t help you!”

THANK YOU CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!:kbutt:

So—hopefully this helps you in your search for some paint!  I’m fairly confident that if you have a Lowe’s near you and a willing person at the paint counter that they can order you a case 6 cans from Valspar direct...

Edited by PeacemakerJack
  • Like 3

Pollack Pete

Nice Super C you've got there.I have 3 or 4 of them.Big tractor compared to the rest of the Horses.Unless you count the D-250,that is.Have fun with your new toy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sarge

Not many truly good paints left out there in the consumer market - that later version of Valspar is not nearly as good in solids content as the original Restoration series, which is the problem with most brands you buy now whether in quarts or spray cans. If I'm out to get a really good paint job - it gets automotive grade single stage enamel. Otherwise, most all of the implement paints are almost worthless now except for maybe the Van Sickle, although I have yet to personally try it. There are hardeners still available, try hunting for an older automotive store that sells finishing supplies and the oldest guy behind the counter.

Sarge

elliot ness

Banner Red from ace hardware stores works great and looks good.