briankd

K181s ign. coil issues

briankd

i have a 1970 K181s and im on my second coil in 2 yrs now. I put this tractor away last fall after mowing and it ran great and here last week it wouldn't start. i found it had no spark. further diagnosis and found the primary in the coil shorted to ground. the original coil was a tecky  for the price i went and bought the last 2 also tecky coils. it has new points and condenser after the previous coil went to hell.

anyone have issues with these coils ? i found where to get new kouler coils for 50 bucks but theses teckys only 35 bucks and i get them localy .the kouler ones can be had @ I save tractors for the fifty bucks but don't know them and how there stuff is. 

also thought about using automotive coil and doing away with the coil under flywheel.  

Edited by briankd

rmaynard

You can get a replacement coil at Tractor Supply (Tisco Ignition Coil, 396547R93) or any 12 volt coil with an internal resistor will work. Cross reference Kohler 41 519 21-S

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, briankd said:

I save tractors for the fifty bucks but don't know them

I can't answer for the coil but isavetractors is a great place.

Norman is wicked cool.

squonk

Napa IC64SB Internally resisted coil $35-40 bucks 

• Like 1

Howie

This sounds like his engine has the magneto style ignition not the 12 volt style, unless I misread the info. If it is the magneto style maybe it is feeding 12 volts back through it and destroying them. I would assume it could be converted to the 12 volt battery ignition.

briankd
3 hours ago, Howie said:

This sounds like his engine has the magneto style ignition not the 12 volt style, unless I misread the info. If it is the magneto style maybe it is feeding 12 volts back through it and destroying them. I would assume it could be converted to the 12 volt battery ignition.

yes this is a mag style ignition

pfrederi
13 hours ago, briankd said:

yes this is a mag style ignition

That is important info....

What tractor is this on???

Have you replaced the ignition switch?  How old is the one on there.  They can begin to fail internally and let current leak into eh M terminal and fry the magneto coil.  Kohler put a diode in the M wire on some units to prevent any back flow of current ...Does yours have one???

Really need more info here.

briankd
On 4/22/2018 at 9:25 AM, pfrederi said:

That is important info....

What tractor is this on???

Have you replaced the ignition switch?  How old is the one on there.  They can begin to fail internally and let current leak into eh M terminal and fry the magneto coil.  Kohler put a diode in the M wire on some units to prevent any back flow of current ...Does yours have one???

Really need more info here.

thanks i will check the ign. sw  mine don't have a diode maybe i will get one and put it in. the tractor this is on is not appropriate to mention on here . I sure won't own another green one they are junk :unsure: 

• Like 1