Sparky

Taking a ride....come-along!

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: Looks like an awesome place...

for a meet & greet Mike. :teasing-poke:

• Like 7

ClassicTractorProfessor

Lots of :text-coolphotos: from your ride Mike, thanks for sharing

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

mikeeyre74

I knew I wasn't the only one who did that. :) Best pics of the day!

• Like 3

Sparky
26 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

:rolleyes: Looks like an awesome place...

for a meet & greet Mike. :teasing-poke:

It’s not my property....gotta talk to the owner 🤔

• Like 3

roadapples

Looks like good deer and Turkey country too.. 

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

Look`s like a fun ride Mike.  We are getting there with the weather SLOWLY.  

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Thanks for the ride Mike.  Love those stone walls...wonder how old that one was?  :)

• Like 5

WHX??

You do that again Sparkeye you need to strap a go pro on... hate to be greedy but a vid would have been cool! B)

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Docwheelhorse

Im not against a meet and greet... Ill start figuring out when and how. But it wont be for awhile, maybe after Stevebos extravaganza in October. A warm Saturday in November ?? 

Tony

• Like 5

Retired Wrencher
18 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Thanks for the ride Mike.  Love those stone walls...wonder how old that one was?  :)

Steve Like Mike said they are all over. Probably turn of century time period.I Believe they used them as land markers like pegs today. Lots rocks Bad for plowing so put them to use.

Edited by Retierd Wrencher
  • Like 2

Docwheelhorse

The land in the pics was an open cow field until 1965 from what I found / was told. There is a small pond out back with a small stream thst feeds it--stream dries up and the pond shrinks in summer. It never disapears so it must be spring fed too. It was the "watering hole" for the farm. I dont have / never looked for pics of the area back then.

Tony

• Like 2

peter lena

good pictures, thanks for the ride along, before you know it you will be thinking of getting a ( unimog )  so you can do anything , incredible road going power plant. pete 

• Like 1

elliot ness

Love the old stone fences, and your trail was great. Thanks for sharing.:text-bravo:

• Like 2

ebinmaine
On 4/18/2018 at 11:39 AM, stevasaurus said:

13 hours ago, Retierd Wrencher said:

Steve Like Mike said they are all over. Probably turn of century time period.I Believe they used them as land markers like pegs today. Lots rocks Bad for plowing so put them to use.

Likely even earlier. 

Many of the stone walls in New England were built between 1750 and 1850 - Many many Farmers started moving West where there are few to no stones, hills.. and better soil in the late 1800's. That was the driving force of guys like Deere and McCormick.

Lots of very interesting info on the logic used when building stone walls online.

Here in Maine many were Not borders. Just so many rocks they had to make extra rows of them so they built them every 200 to 400 feet and left spaces for livestock to walk/pull through.

Love the pics!!

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 4

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: Any links to share here Eric...

to the stone wall history you've found online? 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

:rolleyes: Any links to share here Eric...

to the stone wall history you've found online? 

https://www.earthmagazine.org/article/history-science-and-poetry-new-englands-stone-walls

I've read the book in the above mentioned. Stone by Stone. Interesting read.

More here, some same, some different.

http://www.primaryresearch.org/stonewalls/schweizer/

We have about 800 feet of border that's a stonewall here. I have no idea what is Sooooo fascinating about them but I could look at a stone wall half the day and be perfectly happy.

• Like 3

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: I'm thinking, it's all the hard work involved...

makes how they accomplished it back in the day, so damn intriguing. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine

I agree with that. Then.... Why is it there? Who built it? How long did it take? What did they farm there ? Look at the craftsmanship.... On and on and on...

• Like 1

posifour11
9 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I agree with that. Then.... Why is it there? Who built it? How long did it take? What did they farm there ? Look at the craftsmanship.... On and on and on...

I love rock walls. Now that I'm at "the home place" where my great grandfather homesteaded, I'm planning to start a few. Partially for looks, but mostly to get them out of the way. It's hard to Imagine this place when he had stock and grew corn. He died in 1951 (I think) in his early 80s. 

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, posifour11 said:

I love rock walls. Now that I'm at "the home place" where my great grandfather homesteaded, I'm planning to start a few. Partially for looks, but mostly to get them out of the way. It's hard to Imagine this place when he had stock and grew corn. He died in 1951 (I think) in his early 80s. 

It's fantastic that you have that land that comes from your heritage.

Our property here in Maine is just plain riddled with rocks of all possible sizes. Every time we go to move any dirt around I separate the rocks out and my honey builds free-standing walls and retaining walls with them. Rock Gardens. Etc.