Stillwaters

Best model for parts availability

posifour11

Before I moved here, I was a property preservation contractor (taking care of foreclosed property). I used a "beater" C-120 with a side discharge deck the first couple times to be sure there was nothing to tear my stuff up. After that, I used a C-121 with a rear discharge deck for maintenance. Keep in mind that a lot of these places were waist high. 

I'd go with 70s and 80s for parts and availability. There's always going to be an obstruction that he wasn't shown. 

Just my 1.3 cents. 

• Like 2

Sarge

One thing I haven't seen mention of is the one drawback to the single cylinder Kohler engines when used for mowing - they do have a lot of brute force torque but are limited to side angles of no more than 25*maximum. Splash lube engines have that one drawback, but they are very strong and simple in comparison with later engines. 

If ditches are not a factor, I'd just keep it simple and use a C-160 - otherwise, any of the later model pressure lube twin cylinder engines are fine.

Sarge

• Excellent 2

RJR49

I’ve had everything from a 1045 to a C-160 and I don’t think you can go wrong with a 160. It might be overkill for some folks but it’s better to have and not need, than to need and not have. I prefer the C-XX0’s over the C- XX1’s because the hydraulics are easier to service, and some of the internals are easier to access

• Like 2