Docwheelhorse

R. Lee Ermey 1944-2018 Thanks for Everything

Docwheelhorse

Another big piece of Americana gone... as patriotic as they come. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Thanks for everything you did for the Veterans and America!

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

BPEisenhower

Gone but not forgotten. He visited us while we was heading to Mosul while on the CVN69 Dwight D Eisenhower. OOHRAH.  🇺🇸

• Like 2

1maidenfan

NOOOOOO !!!!!   :USA:    :no:  R.I.P.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Daddy Don

From one vet to another God speed.:flags-waveusa: 

• Like 1

953 nut

R. Lee Ermey, Obscene Drill Instructor in ‘Full Metal Jacket,’ Dies at 74

Photo
16xp-ermey1-master768.jpg

R. Lee Ermey in 2006. In addition to “Full Metal Jacket,” his film credits include “Apocalypse Now,” “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre,” “Se7en” and the “Toy Story” franchise. CreditMichael Buckner/Getty Images

R. Lee Ermey, an actor whose barking, foulmouthed drill instructor in “Full Metal Jacket” highlighted a decades-long career in which he frequently portrayed authority figures, died on Sunday morning. He was 74.

His longtime manager, Bill Rogin, said Mr. Ermey had died from complications of pneumonia at a hospital in Santa Monica, Calif.

Mr. Ermey, who was nicknamed the Gunny, earned a Golden Globe nomination for best supporting actor with his performance as Gunnery Sgt. Hartman in “Full Metal Jacket,” Stanley Kubrick’s 1987 film.

In a memorable opening monologue, Mr. Ermey’s character berates fear-stricken military recruits, hurling an avalanche of verbal insults that are both inventive and demeaning. His eyes bulging and his jaw square, he renames one recruit “Private Snowball,” knees another in the groin and chokes a third to stop him from smiling.

Later in the film, Mr. Ermey’s character admonishes a recruit, asking rhetorically in a now famous line: “What is your major malfunction?”

Photo
16xp-ermey3-master675.jpg

Mr. Ermey with President George W. Bush at a Veterans of Foreign Wars event in 2005. Mr. Ermey was a Marine Corps drill instructor during the Vietnam War. CreditJim Watson/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images

Mr. Ermey, whose dozens of acting credits included film and television roles, was also well-known for playing Sheriff Hoyt in the 2003 horror film “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.” He notably portrayed a police captain in the 1995 crime drama “Se7en” and was the voice of a green plastic solder named Sarge in the “Toy Story” franchise.

ADVERTIS

Ronald Lee Ermey was born on March 24, 1944, in Emporia, Kan., and moved to Washington State at age 11. He enlisted in the Marines immediately after graduating from high school and intended to spend decades in the military.

Much of the torrent of vicious language he unleashed in “Full Metal Jacket” was recalled from his days in boot camp and his 30 months as a Marine Corps drill instructor during the Vietnam War.

The clever, if obscene, tirades were of his own invention, Mr. Ermey told The New York Times in 1987.

“It was terrifying to those actors,” he said of the invective he spewed. “My objective was intimidation.”

Photo
16xp-emey2-master675.jpg

Mr. Ermey in Hoover, Ala., in 2012. CreditJoe Songer/AL.com, via Associated Press

Mr. Ermey’s 11-year career as a Marine was ended “by a rocket” in 1969, but he would not talk about the war for the Times article, saying: “If a person’s wife and children were killed in a terrible automobile accident, 20 years later it will bother him to talk about it.”

With shrapnel still lodged in his back and arm, Mr. Ermey spent four months in a hospital. Eventually, he moved to the Philippines, where he married, attended college briefly and acted in television commercials.

He is survived by his wife, Marianila Ermey; his brothers Jack Ermey and Terry Ermey; his children Kim Bolt, Rhonda Chilton, Anna Liza Cruz, Betty Ermey, Evonne Ermey and Clinton Ermey; and grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

By the late 1970s, Mr. Ermey landed one of his first movie roles, as a helicopter pilot in Francis Ford Coppola’s “Apocalypse Now.” He also served as a military adviser for the film.

Mr. Ermey told The Times he had given up “a good job and more money” — a supervisory role at a nuclear power plant that was under construction — for the part in “Full Metal Jacket” a few years later.

“I love being in front of the camera,” he said. “I get to play cowboy.”

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

ztnoo

• Like 1

Sarge

Semper Fi old buddy - rest in peace.

Sarge

• Like 1

SteveK440

God Bless Him and you and you Guys on this form that served our country!

SteveK440
1 hour ago, Sarge said:

Semper Fi old buddy - rest in peace.

Sarge

Hey Sarge,

Was doing some old post reading this week-end and ran across one write up you did two years ago on replacing spindle and hubs for your tractor which gave me a few ideas for mine. What really Impressed me was your Tig Welding dolly! I'm thinking of getting a 180 amp Mig for some projects around the house and I was playing devils advocate in my mind with your design for me but could only find two minor flaws. The thing I like the most is I could tote your design across uneven terrain without dumping my load!

slim67

Loved the commercial where he plays a phyciatrist.He was a mans man. RIP

Edited by slim67
  • Like 1

Docwheelhorse
11 minutes ago, slim67 said:

Loved the commercial where he plays a phyciatrist.He was a mans man. RIP

And thats why the color yellow makes me sad..... (patient)

YOU KNOW WHAT MAKES ME SAD.... YOU DO! WHY DONT WE CHUG ON DOWN TO MAMBY PAMBY LAND AND GET YOU SOME SELF CONFIDENCE YAH JACKWAGON!!!

LMFAO... its classic

Tony

• Haha 2

roadapples

Can you imagine those cream puffs if they brought back the draft....

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Mr Ermey will be missed I enjoyed his work in films and the shows " Mail Call " and "Lock and Load" , there may have been a third show but I can not remember the name of it.

Sarge
21 hours ago, SteveK440 said:

Hey Sarge,

Was doing some old post reading this week-end and ran across one write up you did two years ago on replacing spindle and hubs for your tractor which gave me a few ideas for mine. What really Impressed me was your Tig Welding dolly! I'm thinking of getting a 180 amp Mig for some projects around the house and I was playing devils advocate in my mind with your design for me but could only find two minor flaws. The thing I like the most is I could tote your design across uneven terrain without dumping my load!

That cart's whole design was driven to be portable - it lives in the basement most of the time and must be able to be loaded with ramps, crane or whatever to get it where it's needed as well as doorways down to 28". Stability on stairs is good - as long as the tires are inflated equally. Keep in mind, if you build something like that you'll need a means to anchor your welder down solidly - or risk dumping it. If in the market for a mig, go look at some of the offerings from Everlast - they are doing some great things for the cost and their line is proven to last. If you need any further details on the cart - ask in the tools and equipment section, I'd be glad to help.

Full Metal Jacket sure brought back a lot of memories of our beloved Marine Corps Drill Instructors - they are a force unlike any other. Ermey's barking basically hit the nail on the head with some of the old school phrases - sharp, witty and to the point, you'd never forget it.

Sarge

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I really liked his style. I have an autographed picture from him to me. The infamous jelly donut scene from Full Metal Jacket. Best movie I ever saw. RIP Gunny.

Glenn

r356c

R.I.P. AJLlDp2gLSTLTQwrAnuUpb0qPRvIoEJ3_KFiKvmY

He did love his tanks.

neil

I worked on the film set of full metal jacket , it was filmed at an old gas works in East London UK Stacey Kubrick said that the place where it was filmed looked more like Vietnam than Vietnam did . When the film was finished most of the movie set was left behind , along with an old Willy’s jeep and lots of imitation palm trees , sadly never got to meet MR Ermy

SIR yes SIR 

• Excellent 1

Docwheelhorse

Did you get the jeep? Lol