TravelinJavelin

not a good day for my 953

TravelinJavelin

well on debate right now took the  rear end out yeasterday to put in a new case gasket well in doing opened up a can of worms the 2 little bearings that are held with a spring and pin had been modded a bit and gears on some had some real bad wear and tear....then the four big bolts on the main bull gear i call it were rubbing on something metal chunks were taken right off the heads of the bolts so looking for another tranny unless someone knows someone here to rebuild it or if worth rebuilding

• Like 1

stevebo

The rear for that machine are specific. You cannot just put a regular 4 or 8 speed in as the axles are longer on the 953. You can keep a look out for a good used one but you never know what you get with a used one. IMO I would research here on rebuilds and take your time and just do it. 

• Like 1

TravelinJavelin

oh i know all of this i have a 5045 tranny i  wish i had a idea to put in a 8 spd in i'd do it in a heart beat

• Like 2

19richie66

Could you put your axles in a regular or 8speed rear? Kinda like Aldon did with his gt22 project. He put gt14 axles in an 8speed. Pretty sure the gt14 and 953 axles are similar. Same hubs. Just an idea. 

Edited by 19richie66
  • Excellent 1

TravelinJavelin

i've heard it can be done but never opened one of these up to really get to know it and take time but i beleive 953 nut has done it and somehow i think i read where he had t o tap a new hole to mount it i'd love to have someone show pics of this modd done

• Like 1

Shynon

I thought I had read somewhere you can put an 8pinion differential in your trans, just need to cut the c clip grooves in the 953 axles. So all you are replacing is the differential.  I have not done it yet but that's my plan. 

• Like 2

19richie66

So 953/1054 axles dont have the c clips? 

Shynon
Just now, 19richie66 said:

Roll pins

• Like 2

19richie66

Gotcha!

953 nut

Sorry to hear of the problem you encountered.

Presuming the transaxle case is in good condition you could replace the internal parts including a bull gear and differential from another 3, 6. or 8 speed using your axles. The end plates on the differential would need to be 1 1/8". 

I put a six speed from a 1257 in a 953 years ago.     :text-imsorry:      no :text-coolphotos: ! this was done several years ago and didn't take any pictures. You could put your axles in any three speed, six speed, eight speed or even a hydro as long as they have 1 1/8" axles.

The process was very straight forward, I pulled the axles from the bad transaxle and inserted them in the ten pinion with the roll pins. Took a piece of heavy paper and pressed it against the transmission leaving an imprint of the mounting holes, used a hole punch to cut the holes and then bolted it to the mounting plate on the frame. As I recall it the top two bolts lined up perfectly and one of the lower holes had to be elongated about 1/8". The fourth hole was off enough that I decided to drill and tap a new hole in the transaxle case. Could have drilled the mounting plate but as I recall it the hydraulic lift cylinder was going to be in the way or something, at any rate it seemed better to drill and tap.

• Like 5

TravelinJavelin
20 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

well mine do plus has holes for the roll pins and there no roll pins in it

TravelinJavelin
17 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Sorry to hear of the problem you encountered.

Presuming the transaxle case is in good condition you could replace the internal parts including a bull gear and differential from another 3, 6. or 8 speed using your axles. The end plates on the differential would need to be 1 1/8". 

I put a six speed from a 1257 in a 953 years ago.     :text-imsorry:      no :text-coolphotos: ! this was done several years ago and didn't take any pictures. You could put your axles in any three speed, six speed, eight speed or even a hydro as long as they have 1 1/8" axles.

The process was very straight forward, I pulled the axles from the bad transaxle and inserted them in the ten pinion with the roll pins. Took a piece of heavy paper and pressed it against the transmission leaving an imprint of the mounting holes, used a hole punch to cut the holes and then bolted it to the mounting plate on the frame. As I recall it the top two bolts lined up perfectly and one of the lower holes had to be elongated about 1/8". The fourth hole was off enough that I decided to drill and tap a new hole in the transaxle case. Could have drilled the mounting plate but as I recall it the hydraulic lift cylinder was going to be in the way or something, at any rate it seemed better to drill and tap. did you feel any difference in on gearing or ddi it make it lower or higher ratio feel? did it seem to pull a load better or any difference?

953 nut
3 minutes ago, TravelinJavelin said:

well mine do plus has holes for the roll pins and there no roll pins in it

:woohoo:            No telling what was done in the transmission over the past five and a half decades. 

TravelinJavelin

your not kidding there lol