TonyToro

Briggs and Stratton 11hp with choke a matic linkage help needed

TonyToro

So I finally got the GT-1100 running and shutting down. I rebuilt the carburetor with a new rebuild kit the other day but now I need help with the linkages and springs on the choke a matic. I think I found all the items needed to make it work somewhere on this machine( under the seat, in the cooling fins of the engine, and behind the battery) I found a few diagrams showing me exploded parts breakdowns but I haven’t found any showing a complete unit. Does anyone have a picture of the front side and rear of this choke a matic? I think I have everything hooked up correctly but it won’t run full throttle. It seems the throttle cable is pushing in the wrong direction or fighting with the governor linkage. Any help would be appreciated.

gwest_ca

Will guess what you need can be found in this file.

The throttle tries to increase rpm by applying tension to a spring connected to the governor arm.

The governor tries to decrease rpm by reducing the tension on the same spring.

The resulting rpm you end up with is the balance of those two forces.

The throttle control must have a pivot tight enough to maintain it's position at full throttle because that is when the governor spring tension is the highest.

Garry

• Thanks 1

TonyToro
6 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Will guess what you need can be found in this file.

The throttle tries to increase rpm by applying tension to a spring connected to the governor arm.

The governor tries to decrease rpm by reducing the tension on the same spring.

The resulting rpm you end up with is the balance of those two forces.

The throttle control must have a pivot tight enough to maintain it's position at full throttle because that is when the governor spring tension is the highest.

Garry

Thank you Gary for the manual download. Lots of great ideas for future to eliminate what I have now. This current setup is overly complicated. If there was a separated choke cable It would be much easier. 

Would you have a later version of this choke a matic  bracket control? I think my machine is a 1984. It has a large plate attached to the bottom of the carb and block. 

From the exploded view I think I have everything in the correct orientation but for some reason when I throttle up I’m getting resistance. The throttle cable moves freely on its own. The plate functions freely when not attached but when I put it all together it’s fighting..lol

TonyToro

C99D260B-8A72-4B58-A826-BC5578ACCFE8.jpeg

gwest_ca

Sorry I can't find anything else. I may have a similar setup but won't be able to get to it for a few weeks. It is snowed in or I should say iced in and can't get the doors open. The freezing rain today has only added to the foot of blue ice we already had around buildings.

By chance has the carb been removed? Wondering if the governor setting has been changed which happens if the carb does not get back on in the exact same location.

Garry

• Haha 1

TonyToro
11 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Sorry I can't find anything else. I may have a similar setup but won't be able to get to it for a few weeks. It is snowed in or I should say iced in and can't get the doors open. The freezing rain today has only added to the foot of blue ice we already had around buildings.

By chance has the carb been removed? Wondering if the governor setting has been changed which happens if the carb does not get back on in the exact same location.

Garry

Thank you for the help.

No problem. It’s icing here too now.  It was freezing working in the garage today and yesterday was 70’s. Crazy weather.

Yes I took the carb off for rebuild. I was thinking the previous owner might have done something to the governor also. It was off just a bit. I reset it and is on tight now. There are two holes on the governor, one for the throttle linkage and the other for the spring. I think I have them in the correct spots. That’s where I’m stumped. This machine was apart when I got it. I haven’t been able to find a picture of how it’s supposed to look together. I have seen parts exploded views so I knew what I needed to make it complete but orientation is where I may be mixing up.

Howie

If you haven't adjusted the governor, Throttle needs to be in the high speed setting  loosen lever where it attaches to the shaft coming 

out of the block. Turn that shaft with a screwdriver as far clockwise as it will go tighten screw in lever. The governor spring attaches to

the lever on the plate then to that lever in hole about in the middle of it. Rod will run from the end of lever to  arm on the carb. 

• Like 1

gwest_ca

See if this file has the correct info

Garry

• Like 1

TonyToro
On 4/15/2018 at 9:38 PM, Howie said:

If you haven't adjusted the governor, Throttle needs to be in the high speed setting  loosen lever where it attaches to the shaft coming 

out of the block. Turn that shaft with a screwdriver as far clockwise as it will go tighten screw in lever. The governor spring attaches to

the lever on the plate then to that lever in hole about in the middle of it. Rod will run from the end of lever to  arm on the carb. 

Thank you Howie for the suggestion. I did exactly that. It was off just a bit but now it is set end tightened. 

I am off from work today. I am going to work on it until I get it. 

This machine has been tough since day one. The previous own did really bad back yard mechanical work to this machine. 

TonyToro
On 4/16/2018 at 7:20 AM, gwest_ca said:

See if this file has the correct info

Garry

Thank you Garry for the file but this one doesn’t have that choke plate that my tractor has. Looks like the smaller 8hp have a similar plate but not as large as this. I have been looking at videos, diagrams and pictures for days. This set up must not have been used for to long seeing that I haven’t found any other than a couple exploded views.

gwest_ca

Is this the number on the engine blower housing?

252417-0664-01

What is the date code following the above numbers?

The last 270962 manual posted is the one listed by B&S for this engine model - 252400

Garry

TonyToro
5 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Is this the number on the engine blower housing?

252417-0664-01

What is the date code following the above numbers?

The last 270962 manual posted is the one listed by B&S for this engine model - 252400

Garry

Yes you are correct 252417-0664-01 

date code is 84022911

Howie

That engine was built  Feb 29 1984.First two numbers year, second two month and next two day of the month.

• Like 1

TonyToro

Thanks guys for all the help.

This morning I caved in and brought the carburetor to a professional. The carb still had a slight fuel leak and that linkage issue. The owners father was a huge Wheelhorse guy. He fixed the fuel leak and showed me why it wasn’t working properly. One of the levers on the plate was behind the linkage that would press on the choke. This machine had so many bent pieces I didn’t know what was supposed to be bent or straight. Lol

In the end it lives. I just got done tuning by ear and took it for a ride. 

Thanks again!

Now on to make it look presentable, add the pulling hitch, wheelie bars and weight.

13705E55-A2ED-4068-9795-52032A0604E6.MOV

Howie

Good deal, glad you got it running. I have seen some pretty messed up linkages on some of these engines.