CountryRock

Toro Power Plus/B&S 16hp twin head trouble and other questions about this engine

CountryRock

Went to adjust the valves on my 246H and found that I had a stuck exhaust valve and pushrods off the rockers.  I ran this machine all last year and never knew there was an issue with it, fired up and ran fine (so I thought).  I freed the valve up but I need new pushrods.  What's the best course of action for this?  Should I pull the head and rebuild it?  

IMG_20180414_192054530_LL~2.jpg

IMG_20180414_192127106~2.jpg

Edited by CountryRock

WVHillbilly520H

@Docwheelhorse, Tony think you can help @CountryRock out with his Briggs issue?

CountryRock

Just pulled the head.  Cylinder looks ok.  At this point I'm doubtful of any cam damage.  I think the pushrod took the brunt of it.

IMG_20180414_211112678~2.jpg

Edited by CountryRock
Add pic.
  • Sad 2

Docwheelhorse

Hi, very common and very easy fix... pm me and I can explain... or we can talk and you can send me the heads. Ill fix and send back.

Tony

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

CountryRock

Ok, I bought everything I need to fix this now.  Just gotta wait for it all to show up.  I'm glad I printed out the service manual for this engine last week.  I appreciate all of the help so far.

CountryRock

@Docwheelhorse is this the correct height for the guide to be seated at?  I used the Briggs tool and hit it until it bottomed.

IMG_20180421_171626549~2.jpg

CountryRock

So now that this issue is repaired, the engine runs very well.  I do notice that it surges/hunts for just a few seconds when I start it from cold at idle speed.  Runs great once warmed up and at higher speeds.   Governor is set properly, thinking some fresh fuel might help.  Maybe a carb rebuild in the future.  Thoughts?