Jamie Darian Brown

Raider 12 Transmission for project

Jamie Darian Brown

Hi all, 

A couple years back I put a fairmont railcar engine on a wheel horse  C 141 frame to make a ride for hit miss engine shows.  It's an eight speed   hi   lo  

So, I got another fairmont engine and am gonna make another ride.    So I found a Raider 12 carcass      rolling frame stripped down and parted out with an 8 speed trans.    

As I look online I see that these had a ten pinion no slip set up that people say are weaker?    

Should I proceed with frame I have?    Or do I need to find a stronger trans?      The set up is basically a ride for shows that has a double seat for two people  

heres a link to  the first one I built so you can get an idea of what I am building    

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

wallfish

Don't think you'll have a problem with that trans for what you're doing. Trans is strong enough but not recommended for maybe setting up as a puller where it's going to be worked HARD. :twocents-02cents:

• Like 3

WHX??

That would be a 5060 transmission and although you really won't the need the limited slip feature I would see no reason not to use it. They were a very strong unit with 1 1/8 axles. My biggest concern would be what does it look like internally. If you are skilled enough to build that you are skilled enough to split it for and inspection and cleaning. Perhaps replace the outboard axle bearings, seals if need be & check the 1533's. check the differential side plates as some were made of aluminum and prone to cracking if some one else was in there and over torqued them. Bearings and seals can be found here http://www.wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/index.html The other thing you may want to do in your build is inspect & reinforce the F plate area, where the frame attached to the tranny. Been know to be a weak area and you will find many ways to beef it up here.

Good luck and we would appreciate some :text-coolphotos: of your build!

Edited by WHX16
  • Like 4

Jamie Darian Brown

Okie Dokie.  Thanks guys. Good news.  Sounds like its strong enough and  will work.  I will give it a good inspection and cleaning.   I will get to working on it in next couple months and show yall pics of progress.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jamie Darian Brown

One more question... I was thinking of making this one a three seater.  See vid of one above.   Can the axles handle that much weight?  With the heavy engine in front, the front end is plenty heavy enough.. just concerned about axles....