RJC1965

Kwik-way loader fluid

RJC1965

Hi everyone I just installed my loader on my 520 H and it seems to work very well. I have a few questions even  though I have a manual that I downloaded, 

1. What fluid do you use? Manual says ATF or good quality  hydraulic fluid. I live in Wisconsin so some cold  weather use can be expected. 

2. How do you change it. I does not say in the manual only  talks about adding in the fluid for the first time. 

3.  How often should you change the fluid.  So far I can’t see any leaks. I was told the loader was only used for about two or three hours I believe it to be true since the bucket looks brand new and still has the original paint on it.   Loader is most likely purchased in 1997 or 1998. 

Thank you in advance 

Rod 

00A708D3-3749-4CF2-BBE6-D5C7294AA980.jpeg

908E8050-B62E-40A0-9BE6-1FB30FE32BD3.jpeg

AA086282-2A45-487D-AFCA-6FC47FD76813.jpeg

2F36B753-B14C-4F8B-BD65-FBE2D4080E93.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:                 ISO 32 hydraulic fluid seems to be the most commonly used farm equipment fluid. It is a low price oil and will work well in a variety of temperatures. I doubt that you will ever work your loader hard enough to boil the fluid so changing it shouldn't be a big consideration. 

pfrederi

You should give serious consideration to adding a filter.  The loader may look nice an clean on the outside but inside the left support there can be condensation which leads to corrosion and that is your reservoir. The only thing in an ARC loader is a mesh strainer at the reservoir end of the suction line to the pump. I do not know what Kwikways have.

• Like 3

Cvans

Nice looking machine. Where your living you might want to consider a lighter weight oil as it can get darn cold there. I'm running ATF in mine and it has worked good for a number of years now. If it gets below 0 degs it's a little slow but doesn't take very long to start warming up. 

You should give serious consideration to adding a filter

I agree with this just don't put it in the suction line to the pump. I can cause cavitation of the pump. 

Edited by Cvans
  • Like 1

lynnmor
12 hours ago, RJC1965 said:

Hi everyone I just installed my loader on my 520 H and it seems to work very well. I have a few questions even  though I have a manual that I downloaded, 

1. What fluid do you use? Manual says ATF or good quality  hydraulic fluid. I live in Wisconsin so some cold  weather use can be expected. 

2. How do you change it. I does not say in the manual only  talks about adding in the fluid for the first time. 

3.  How often should you change the fluid.  So far I can’t see any leaks. I was told the loader was only used for about two or three hours I believe it to be true since the bucket looks brand new and still has the original paint on it.   Loader is most likely purchased in 1997 or 1998. 

2F36B753-B14C-4F8B-BD65-FBE2D4080E93.jpeg

Drain the fluid from the left leg.  If it is clean, just add to the fill level hole.  If you see contamination, add enough fresh universal hydraulic fluid so that the pump picks it up and run for just a very short time and drain again.

Now look at that weight box.  That sharp rear corner will have you dug in when backing into dirt or hard packed snow.  Mine now has a 45 slope half way.

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

Be sure to only check and add fluid with the cylinders closed. It is a closed system so adding fluid with cylinders extended can cause you to blow a seal out. My son didn't ask and helped me out by adding fluid to our loader, now it leaks like a sieve and I need to pull them off and send them out. 

Randy

WHX??

Any idea what's in it now for fluid as that's what you should continue to use. Nice looking rig :handgestures-thumbupright:...set of ags on the rear and you won't know how to act!

953 nut
14 minutes ago, RandyLittrell said:

Be sure to only check and add fluid with the cylinders closed. It is a closed system so adding fluid with cylinders extended can cause you to blow a seal out. My son didn't ask and helped me out by adding fluid to our loader, now it leaks like a sieve and I need to pull them off and send them out. 

Randy

Randy, it is a closed system, but the cylinders are double acting so the fluid that was expelled from one end is consumed on the other side. The fluid level will remain basically the same with the minor amount of volume taken up by the shafts.

RandyLittrell
Just now, 953 nut said:

Randy, it is a closed system, but the cylinders are double acting so the fluid that was expelled from one end is consumed on the other side. The fluid level will remain basically the same with the minor amount of volume taken up by the shafts.

Mine are double action too, but don't you have to account for the volume of the shaft itself. When you retract the cylinder, the fluid level goes up the amount of the shafts volume. Mine has fairly large main cylinders. 

Randy

RandyLittrell
10 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Mine are double action too, but don't you have to account for the volume of the shaft itself. When you retract the cylinder, the fluid level goes up the amount of the shafts volume. Mine has fairly large main cylinders. 

My math isn't what it used to be but, I think my loader has about a pint and a half worth of cylinder volume. My son filled it while he had both cylinders partially extended clear full. Probably not an issue most of the time, but something to be aware of. 

Randy

• Like 2

953 nut
3 minutes ago, RandyLittrell said:

retract the cylinder, the fluid level goes up the amount of the shafts volume.

Yes, I mentioned that. You should never fill the reservoir to the top anyway. Sorry to hear your Son overfilled yours.

Four one inch diameter shafts eighteen inches long each will displace less than a quart of fluid. The reservoir on mine is four inches square and the fill port on it is down about four inches so that leaves over a quart of free board.

• Like 1

RandyLittrell
Just now, 953 nut said:

Yes, I mentioned that. You should never fill the reservoir to the top anyway. Sorry to hear your Son overfilled yours.

Four one inch diameter shafts eighteen inches long each will displace less than a quart of fluid. The reservoir on mine is four inches square and the fill port on it is down about four inches so that leaves over a quart of free board.

My son had no idea, and most of the time, it would never be a problem. Just want to let the OP know, just in case! 

Randy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RJC1965

Thank you all for your responses. 

I am am going to check to see if it is ATF or Hydro fluid and will replace it. Should be able to tell by the smell? And color I hope. 

Thanks for for the tip on the weight box I will have to look into raising that to an angle now that bring it up I am sure I will hang it up on something. 

I  I definitely need some new tires all the way around and will most likely go with some ag tires.  Oh and by the way I also got the duel set up for the strange thing is that the tires are more narrow in the rim is not as wide as what’s on the current tractor but it looks like it would still add some extra stability to it. 

Will also be installing some sort of a filter kit probably do that later this spring for ever warms up here. 

I hope to post some pictures of me moving some snow this weekend I think that’ll be a good way for me to get the feel of how this works and I definitely need to get one of Those foot control kits from I  Believe it’s Matt Who makes them. 

Edited by RJC1965
  • Like 2

WHX??

Yes color...atf will be red. Will be interesting to see the dual rear set up. V-61s would be my choice for fronts. Some guys convert the fronts to trailer style hubs with tapered bearings for better load handling. Not quite sure how they do it but probably threads here on how

Weather does stink... stay safe.

Edited by WHX16
Speeling
  • Like 1

roadapples

Mine has a breather hole out the side of the fill plug. If you ever over fill don't be standing in front of said hole while lowering bucket. Don't ask me how I know...:bitch:

• Haha 3

WHX??

I was going to ask that question Apples... do these have a vent on the tanks like my log splitters or most hy systems  do? If you over fill it should just spit out there and not damage seals??

• Like 1

stevebo

I have the same loader on my 522xi and cannot find the manual for it? If anyone has it, please post link. Thanks.

RandyLittrell
3 hours ago, WHX16 said:

I was going to ask that question Apples... do these have a vent on the tanks like my log splitters or most hy systems  do? If you over fill it should just spit out there and not damage seals??

Mine doesn't have a vent or a filter. When I move it to a different tractor, I want to add both items. 

Randy

• Excellent 2

RJC1965
On 4/13/2018 at 9:48 PM, stevebo said:

I have the same loader on my 522xi and cannot find the manual for it? If anyone has it, please post link. Thanks.

On 4/13/2018 at 9:48 PM, stevebo said:

I hope this is it I found mine in the manual section under other page 3 

RJC1965

Some pic from snowstorm  Evelyn We got 29 inches I live just north of Green Bay. I’m very happy that I put the loader on since the snow was so heavy  I had a very difficult time trying to use my snowblower  eight horse power  Ariens to dig through it. The Video was shot on Saturday morning  which was round one of two so I probably had about a foot on the ground at this time after Sunday we had 29 inches of the wettest heaviest snow I’ve ever experienced. 

I posted a YouTube link to me using the loader. Since this is my first time posting a link to YouTube let me know if it worked? 

The hydro fluid looks like oil it is very clean and brown in color. I know ATF is red but not sure on  hydraulic fluid just doesn’t have that smell to it I’m wondering if maybe it’s actually motor oil.

Hopefully the video works can people please chime in my loader makes a whining noise when I run in the hydraulics is that normal or is there something I need to look at also give me some feedback on the speed of the loader if it looks like it’s running work should be since it’s my first loader I’m looking forward to hearing all your comments thank you. 

Edited by RJC1965
  • Like 4

RJC1965

Another video 

• Like 3

Sarge

Video embedding works fine, great job with the loader. The whine in the hydraulic pump is just a bit of wear, not uncommon and some pumps do it when they are even new.

Looks like it could use some more weight in the box for sure - that is some very heavy snow.

Sarge

Cvans
16 minutes ago, Sarge said:

The whine in the hydraulic pump is just a bit of wear,

Sounded like the relief valve to me but I wear hearing aids. :lol:

Yah nice job on the videos :greetings-clappingyellow:

Snowmobileaddict

SteveBO,

Here is the loader manual for your 5xi Kwikway

I posted it a few years ago to the site:

roadapples

The speed of the loader seems to be normal... What did you do without it....