RJ Hamner

Kohler K301 Has me stumped

RJ Hamner

Let me first say that it ran when I brought it home.  Drove it around the guys yard, tried out the mower, drove it onto the trailer and drove it off the trailer and into the garage.

I've done a "ground up" restore on the tractor (70 Charger 12).  Swapped out the breakerless for a battery ignition and swapped out the 10 amp for a 15 amp stator, flywheel and regulator.

Pulled the head, looked pretty good, new head gasket and head bolts.new fuel pump, fuel lines,new switches and wiring, new aftermarket carb, new coil, coil wire, new points, new throttle and choke cables.

Static timed (twice just to make sure) Have tried Autolite 216's and the hotter 437's. changed the condenser to the high dollar Kohler one.

It will idle but when I give it some throttle it stumbles or will rev up a little then quits.

I've gone thru the "trouble shooting " steps multiple time and to no avail

Anyone got any ideas??  I am willing to try most anything at this point

Bob

Daddy Don

Check the gap on your points and make sure they did not open up on you

953 nut

Could be the float is set a bit low resulting in fuel starvation. Will it rev up better with the choke pulled part way? Another possibility would be the high speed needle needs to be opened up a little.

RJ Hamner

Hadn't thought about the float. I'll give that a try. May have to wait on the next rainy day. The wife wants to do yard work while we have a couple of nice days

wallfish

Condenser on the - side of the coil?

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

RJ Hamner

Positive side. OMG do I feel like a DA. It should be on the Neg side :blink:

Edited by RJ Hamner
incomplete text
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Mike'sHorseBarn
8 hours ago, RJ Hamner said:

We've all done things like that, don't feel bad!

• Like 3

wallfish
9 hours ago, RJ Hamner said:

No big deal, bet you'll ALWAYS have it on the neg side now just like many of us do because the same thing happened. How do you think we recognize that symptom?

Is it running good now? 

• Like 5

RJ Hamner
12 hours ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

We've all done things like that, don't feel bad!

Some days I feel like the windshield.  But some days I feel like the BUG.

11 hours ago, wallfish said:

No big deal, bet you'll ALWAYS have it on the neg side now just like many of us do because the same thing happened. How do you think we recognize that symptom?

Is it running good now? 

They say that a man learns through his mistakes.  If that is true......then I am on my way to becoming the next Eienstein

BTW:  It now runs like a stripped a#&@* ape. (OLD NAVY TERM)

Thanks guys

Bob

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

wallfish

Sweeeet!

So how about some pictures of this restored  tractor?

• Like 2

RJ Hamner
1 minute ago, wallfish said:

So how about some pictures of this restored  tractor?

I've got the hydro draining as I type then make the final adjustment on the shift lever and mount the mower deck. 

We have some rain coming so I might get to work on it in the next few days.

Yard Work AKA "Pride of Ownership" tends to put a dent in my work schedule:(

• Like 2

WHX??

Sorry RJ... have to agree with 'fish....... :text-worthless:regardless of the :text-blondmoment:  !!!!!

• Haha 3

wallfish

Take it easy on the guy Jim, the wife is cracking the whip about his yard work so he'll get to it. :ychain:

21 minutes ago, RJ Hamner said:

Yard Work AKA "Pride of Ownership" tends to put a dent in my work schedule

• Haha 5

RJ Hamner
1 minute ago, WHX16 said:

Sorry RJ... have to agree with 'fish....... :text-worthless:regardless of the :text-blondmoment:  !!!!!

"Never give a sucker an even break"

Photos Soon!!

Just so ya know....I've had sooo many "Blond Moments" I am now bald.

To me, a trip to Fantesy Island is looking longingly at the hair brush and comb section at the store.

• Haha 4

wallfish
4 minutes ago, RJ Hamner said:

Photos Soon!!

Get some with you and the tractor and add it here if you're interested. The more the merrier!

• Excellent 2

WHX??
46 minutes ago, RJ Hamner said:

I've got the hydro draining as I  drain another adult beverage.

Yard Work AKA "Pride of Ownership" tends to put a dent in my work drinking schedule:(

Thats how it should have read RJ..... You forgot the very most important  thing too RJ .... with baldness comes wisdom.... ok we'll let it slide bout the points thing...:lol:

Signed 

Midnight Mafia Lawn Mowers

A drinking club with a tractor problem. 

• Haha 1

RJ Hamner

Now THAT sounds like a fun group:D

• Like 1

RJ Hamner

OK  You all wanted pictures.  Refill your glass and set back.  Here we go.   I SHOULD WARN YOU..THE LITTLE GUY IS A CAMERA HOG AND TRIES TO SNEEK INTO ANY PICTURES OF WHEEL HORSES

DSC_0704.JPG

DSC_0705.JPG

DSC_0707.JPG

DSC_0708.JPG

DSC_0709.JPG

DSC_0710.JPG

DSC_0711.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 2