Daniel N

Trans Oil change for a GT 14

Daniel N

I just bought a 1970 GT 14 and I can't seem to find a drain plug. How do I drain it?  Thanks for you help

gwest_ca

The 1/4" NPT drain plug is item # 49 located in the left rear corner on the bottom of the case. The plug is flat with a hex hole for an Allen wrench. The hole may be full of dirt making it hard to find. Clean the hole out well and tap the Allen wrench in to make sure it bottoms in the hole so you don't strip the hex. Being a tapered pipe thread they require a thread sealer and don't need to be singing tight.

Garry

Tractor 1970 GT-14 1-7452 1-7453 IPL A-5255 Trans drain plug #49 SS.jpg

• Like 3

953 nut

:WRS:       Your GT-14 left the factory with Dextron ATF in the transaxle, but many were changed over to 10 W 30 later on. Either one is fine but they don't mix well so be sure you replace it with the same fluid as is presently in there. ATF is pink and 10 W 30 is amber.

As can be seen in Garry's drawing there is a hump in the floor of the transaxle housing so it is best to jack up the front of the tractor to ensure complete draining. You should also replace the filter, it is a NAPA 1410 hydraulic oil filter, regular auto oil filters will not work.

• Like 3

Daniel N

Thanks for the detailed answers. I’m looking forward to having fun with this Machine 

• Like 2

oliver2-44

Putting the new oil in down the filler tube can be very slow due to trapped air needing a place to escape. Leave the oil filter off initially and you can install roughly 3 quarts befor it runs out there. Then install filter Nd slowly add the rest of the oil. On my similar Sundstrand transmission I initially got about 3-3/4 quarts in it.  Ran it some and added 1/4 at, rand some more added another. 1/4 qt. I ended up with about 4-3/4 quarts replaced

• Like 1