Sign in to follow this  
Brian1045

Paint and Gas tank fume reactions

Brian1045

Most know that I base/coated almost my entire tractor. Everything is fine except that around the gas fill hole and the cap the paint and or clear is starting to melt or dissentigrate.

I figured that clear would really hold up well to the gas. :thumbs: I'm pretty sure it may be mostly the fumes becasue I've only filled the tank once since the resto.

I'm thinking of just taking the cap back down to the bare metal. Maybe putting something protective around the fill hole as well.

Any ideas or suggestions?

jerrell

:thumbs: Hi Spencer, don't know if i underrstand you correctly but gas and diesel will deterate or disolve the clear coat over time, the clear coat on my f150 and chevy 3500,around the gas cap from dripping or over filling, have disolved over time i just use a polishing compound and touch it up when it gets ugly again, do you have a solid gas cap or does it have a vent hole in it, i think the solid caps are vented from around the sides of the cap when screwed down. :dunno:so over time the fumes could be acting like a corrosive..

jusjeepn

Brian, SEM makes a product called "Chip Guard". It was designed for use on rocker panels to prevent rocks from chipping the paint. It goes on clear (or black) and dries to a slightly textured finish. This product hold up very well to fuel being spilled on it. I have personally used this on a diesel fuel tank and it works great. If you've ever seen a painted/powder coated fuel tank on a med. or heavy duty truck, you know what diesel fuel does to it over time. This product works great and hold up over long periods of time. Easy to apply (rattle can or qts.), no special equipment required, easy to touch up. You determine how much texture by how heavy of coats you put on. It protects your paint and looks good to boot! Just sprays on over your clear coat (some prep required)!