Jake0030

Best inline fuel filter?

Jake0030

Thought I would ask for members opinions on a good inline fuel filter for my 312-8? Fresh out of rotator cuff surgery, so I'll explain why I switched out the gas tank another time(pain block just wore off, so typing hurts). The replacement fuel shut off valve I got did not come with the little metal screen, so I would like to add an inline fuel filter. I have installed many an inline fuel filter on other projects, but never a garden tractor. Would greatly appreciate feed back from other members on fuel filters they found worked well and where you put them? I'm planning on installing mine, or rather having a family member install it within the green circle in the photo below. Thanks in advance for feedback.

fuel filter.jpg

• Like 1

953 nut

Hope your shoulder heals up rapidly.      :handgestures-thumbupright:      That looks like a great location, it can be seen so you know if it needs to be changed. I have always used the inexpensive clear plastic fuel filters and never had a problem.

5acd4bc5bb094_Getwellredtractor.jpg.b9663e5ca11194bb71adf9b180ef3dd2.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Jake0030

Thanks. I figured that would be a good spot just because of the downward direction of the line before traveling up to the carb. Hanging in there.

• Like 1

roadapples

Usually get mine at tractor show flea markets. $2 each or 3 for $5. Cheap enough to change often :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

wallfish

This is just one place to order from but my advice is to get them in bulk, like 10 at a time. It makes them cheaper even though they're not that expensive to begin with but you won't be shy about changing them more often when you have'm in stock. IMO, Stuff like that tends to go on the back burner if they have to be ordered every time. :twocents-02cents:

http://www.psep.biz/store/small_engine_fuel_filters.htm

• Like 6

Jake0030

:thanks:

Daddy Don

Great site to know about thanks

• Like 2

squonk

I use the red filters designed for Briggs. I get them at Napa or tractor supply. I tried those pleated paper ones. I had issues with air lock on several models of tractors. And it didn't matter where I put it. 

• Like 3

Tankman

Been using "off the shelf" clear fuel filters for years.

Inexpensive and always on the shelf at TSC, Lowes and Home "cheapo".

Always installed where you show in your picture. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Always pick up a few for the shop shelf.

As noted, I too like to see the filter element. Dirty? Change it.

• Like 3

SPINJIM
3 hours ago, squonk said:

I use the red filters designed for Briggs. I get them at Napa or tractor supply. I tried those pleated paper ones. I had issues with air lock on several models of tractors. And it didn't matter where I put it. 

I have also had that problem with the pleated filters.   I found that it helps to put some fuel into the filter before connecting it.  It's a little messy, but it works.   It wets the filter material, and 'primes' the filter.    I wish the red Briggs filter were made in clear plastic.   I also like to see when the filters are dirty inside.

Jim

• Like 2

Jake0030

Thanks for all the feedback!!!:thanks:

squonk

I change my filters every 2 years. I can check and see how much crud is in them then. If they are really dirty in that period of time, something ‘s wrong 

• Like 2

oliver2-44

I recall some past discussion of some online fuel filters being rated for Gravity flow (less Restriction) and some (finer ones) suited for use with a fuel pump. 

Can anyone share some knowledge about that?

• Like 1

pfrederi
3 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

I recall some past discussion of some online fuel filters being rated for Gravity flow (less Restriction) and some (finer ones) suited for use with a fuel pump. 

Can anyone share some knowledge about that?

They do sometimes show different screen types for gravity vs pump.  For many years I had a generic paper in metal can filter on my Lawn Ranger.  4-5 years ago i got one of the red B&S disk type screen filters that was supposed to be for gravity.  Just replaced it with another cheap plastic paper one.  Never saw any difference over the years.  Gravity has proven much more reliable than fuel pumps...

• Like 1

Anglo Traction

I use Kohler Fuel Filters (on my WH High mount Tanks)-

DSC01623.JPG.84bb632895f74e85e9b78c580c6a9ff6.JPG

The tapered upper end keeps down the risk of Airlocks. May be more difficult to avoid them with a lower tank position, but not impossible.

• Like 2

Butch
On 4/11/2018 at 3:55 PM, Anglo Traction said:

I use Kohler Fuel Filters (on my WH High mount Tanks)-

DSC01623.JPG.84bb632895f74e85e9b78c580c6a9ff6.JPG

The tapered upper end keeps down the risk of Airlocks. May be more difficult to avoid them with a lower tank position, but not impossible.

Don't know what I'm looking at but it sure looks sweet!!

Jake0030

Need help. I think I mentioned I was at the mercy of a family member. This is what I ended up with. Said family member refused to fill filter before connecting and could not get the clamps on the line (although the filter is so snug in the line I doubt it will be a problem. The fuel filter never did fill up all the way and when I went to mow today, fuel filter completely emptied and engine died. Fuel filter is in correct direction in line. Fuel tank cap is vented. Any ideas? Thinking about trying to install the little red briggs and stratton filter when I can get a family member out here. Still have my arm in a sling and can't use both hands.

IMG_1822.jpg

oldredrider

Try pressurizing the tank. Either blow into it or use a funnel and air nozzle on an air line from a compressor. 

• Like 3

formariz

Fuel filter does not have to be full in order for it to function properly. As long as there is some fuel in it (sometimes very little) it will work. Try @oldredrider recommendation but be careful if you use a compressor, i don't know how tight those lines are around that filter with no clamps. There may be some air in line due to cutting it for filter installation. I would pinch line with a needle nose vise-grips or something similar close to fuel pump connection, then remove it and then let fuel run into a container.Pinch it again while fuel is running and then put it back to fuel pump.Also fill the tank to top before starting it to help fuel pump. Under seat tank does not have gravity in its favor. Two hands will help to do all of that .

• Like 1

WHX??

Small world here @Jake0030 but just had a wing clipped for said same rotator cuff. Doing good now thank you and hope the same. I would like to blame it on an old baseball injury but would be pulling yer leg. 

I use just the off the jungle site generics but change them yearly and put them as pictured. 

@Anglo Traction we may have seen that tractor before but me thinks we need to see it again!  BTW whats with the petcock under the motor? Some sort of drain system?

20170401_121517.jpg

Edited by WHX17
  • Like 1

Jake0030

Thanks everyone. Well, I tinkered with the line. I could not budge the fuel filter from the line, can't use both hands. Trust me when I say, that thing is air tight connected. Disconnected line from carb and blew air through the line back to the tank. Could hear air venting out the gas cap. Tried blowing air into tank, again air vented out from the tank cap. Then sucked gas through the line, carb end. Yum, always wondered what gasoline tasted like. Got the fuel filter to fill mostly all the way, and got some mowing done with no engine kills. When finished, fuel filter was about 1/3 full. Haven't checked on it yet today. Still considering getting one of those little red brigs and stratton filters.

clueless

I have the Briggs small white filter on my 312 in that exact location. I had the red one there for years, when I in stalled my new fuel lines, I bought a new filter. Briggs says the red one is for a gravity feed engine, the white is for a fuel pump engine, so I got the white one. I can't tell any difference, their both under $4.00 dollars.

Sidenote: When I bought the white filter I bought a pack of 4 on line, to put on two of my WH. So last spring I put one on my 10hp Tecumseh generator which has the screen in the tank shut off valve. Thought it my give me a little more protection, down here after one of those big ass storms comes through you my need these things to run for over three weeks or more. After I installed it the engine started to hunt when I started it, a little choke and it ran fine, removed the filter and it ran fine. This summer I'll try the red one, just to see.

oldredrider

The Briggs filters have different micron ratings. White ones have a finer screen. I prefer them over the red ones.

• Like 1

Anglo Traction
On 14/05/2018 at 4:14 AM, WHX17 said:

@Anglo Traction we may have seen that tractor before but me thinks we need to see it again!  BTW whats with the petcock under the motor? Some sort of drain system?

Hi Jim,

Apologies for delay in response to your question, only just seen it. The little Petcock is what I use to drain the Fuel system for overwintering. 

I also use it to re-prime the system in the Spring. By shutting the Tank Valve and pumping fresh fuel through the Petcock, it is sent to the Carb first. 

I then open the Tank Valve and pump fuel back up through the Filter into the Tank. As soon as it appears in the Tank, I shut the Valve(s) and fill at the Tank.

Zero airlocks and ready primed system that prevents long cranking to start.

The whole Fuel system is super clean, so no contaminates on the wrong side of the Filter.

Here's a few images of the 74 WH after I fully rebuilt and fitted a 36" RD Deck....... sorry for deviating from the the Topic-

DSC01720.JPG.e37addd9c3a6937a515693a7b17a182d.JPG

DSC01722.JPG.126913e45929d7fc1435775e19d7af59.JPG

Regards

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1