dlaw90

Towing with 314-8

dlaw90

I was wondering how much weight a 314-8 can tow? I am looking to get a 4,500 lb, 35 ft manlift into my backyard. There's no room to get my truck turned around  due to a large hill and my leach field, so I'm thinking about using the tractor.

I saw some hitches by wildcruiser on Ebay. Has anyone used these to tow this much weight? I am leaning toward the hitches that mount to the front Tach-A-Matic because of cost and ease of installation.

Jrblanke

I can pull my 4000 lb pickup with my 314-8 on a flat paved surface, but if there is a slight incline I lose traction. I think it will all depend on how big the tires are on the man lift and whether it sinks into the ground. I'm thinking you will have traction issues. 

• Like 2

Skipper

It can easily move it if you can get enough traction. My old c120 towed a 2 ton car with 4 flat tires on tarmac no problem. a 2 ton agricultural roller on grass however was a pita.

Be sure not to tip it over and hurt yourself, when using it for those things that in reality calls for something bigger ;-)

• Like 1

pfrederi

If there is any grade involve I wouldn't do it...The 314 may pull it but if it get moving on a downgrade you will not stop it.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 4

peter lena

if you attempt anything, use your low range gearing, giving you the mechanical advantage , also easier on drive train. pete 

Tankman

Flat paved would work. For your move, not a good idea. :unsure:

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

clueless
17 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

If there is any grade involve I wouldn't do it...The 314 may pull it but if it get moving on a downgrade you will not stop it.

It will pull 4500lb, but like like the guys say any incline, downgrade, grass, your just going to loss traction. Also I have one of the front hitches on ebay, guy says it will hold 300#, I'm not sure if I would put any more than 300# on mine, I'm thinking a 4500# piece of equipments  tongue weight is way more than 300#s, don't think I would do it :snooty:.

• Like 3

pfrederi

Is this the sort of thing you are talking about??? You wanted a front hitch, I believe a rule of thumb is tongue loading is about 10 % of total weight.  That would be a lot on the front wheels and spindles..(300 series spindle are more prone to bending.  Next that much down pressure in front of the front axle will seriously lighten your rear end depriving you of traction..... 

lift.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Tractor boy

Could you rent a nontowbehind man lift and just drive it in the yard?

ebinmaine

Two words.

Don't.   doitt.

You have one little tiny brake drum that is not designed to slow down anywhere near that much weight.

I've been a commercial driver trainer and a boom operator and a forklift trainer and a safety officer.

What I always tell people is - if you have to think about it at all... You already thought about it too long.

You may very well be able to pull that thing anywhere you want to but you also may very well not be able to stop that thing anywhere you want to.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

953 nut

A few years back I used one similar to the one Paul has pictured. It was attached to the hitch on the truck and all four outriggers down and you could see the rear of the truck moving as I changed positions with the lift.

Like Eric said, don't even think about it. You may want to rent some scaffolding if you won't be able to move the lift safely.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

dlaw90

Thanks for the help. I'll look at other options than the tractor.

The area is completely flat, but I would be driving through grass. The hill would only be in the way for trying to turn my truck around.

1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

Is this the sort of thing you are talking about??? You wanted a front hitch, I believe a rule of thumb is tongue loading is about 10 % of total weight.  That would be a lot on the front wheels and spindles..(300 series spindle are more prone to bending.  Next that much down pressure in front of the front axle will seriously lighten your rear end depriving you of traction..... 

lift.JPG

This is the manlift I was hoping to use.

1 hour ago, Tractor boy said:

Could you rent a nontowbehind man lift and just drive it in the yard?

I looked at renting one, but there is a big cost difference between the self-propelled and tow-behind models.

wallfish

Since you can't turn the truck around, how about backing it in? Seems to simple so there must be some reason why this can't be done.

• Like 1

dlaw90
3 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Since you can't turn the truck around, how about backing it in? Seems to simple so there must be some reason why this can't be done.

That's probably the route I will have to go. I just need to back around a pine tree and go through a narrow gate without looking. Picking up a tractor hitch for $75 sounded better than replacing the fence and manlift when I trash it

• Like 1

pfrederi
6 minutes ago, dlawrence529 said:

That's probably the route I will have to go. I just need to back around a pine tree and go through a narrow gate without looking. Picking up a tractor hitch for $75 sounded better than replacing the fence and manlift when I trash it

Buy one of them newfangled Fords with some sort of dial your self trailer backing:P

More seriously

Anyway you can rig a hitch on the front of your truck.  We used to put a pintle on the front bumper of the 3/4 tons to push the Dueces 1-1/2 ton trailers onto C-130s and C-141s.  Lot easier and cheaper than putting a hole in the side of an airframe trying to back them in.

• Like 2

wallfish

One advantage of that thing is the distance of those trailer tires from the hitch. (At least on the one pictured). Short trailers are tougher to back up because they react so much quicker to even slighter movement.

Try backing up one of those tow behind compressors into a tight space with minimal sight view like in a van. I must've jackknifed one a dozen times before getting used to it but I could put the boat trailer anywhere in a single shot. 

• Like 4

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, wallfish said:

Short trailers are tougher to back up because they react so much quicker to even slighter movement.

I'll second that. My father drove tractor trailer for 30 years or more ... had the darndest time getting a 9-foot pop up behind a Buick LeSabre to stay anywhere near where he wanted it to go.

• Like 4

elcamino/wheelhorse

Many years ago back in the Dark Ages I had a 23 ft trailer that I had to back down an alley and then turn into my yard. Biggest PITA I ever had , mounted a  hitch off set on the front of the van parked the trailer without any problems .  Sometimes when traveling , had problems getting into spaces. Unhook the trailer , hook to front hitch problem solved .

Edited by elcamino/wheelhorse
  • Like 4

WVHillbilly520H

I don't even know if I would try that with my Mahindra eMax, but I did move a late 60s 14' Winnebago with the Kioti nearly a mile and they aren't that light and bit top heavy but the Kioti has way better brakes than a :wh:...

IMAG2469.jpg

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

Don't even consider hooking a 4500lb trailer to a 500lb tractor.   Put a front hitch on your truck and push it in place.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

JPWH

Another option is like we do on jobsites. Make sure to get one with a rolling wheel on the jack and get 4 or 5 guys to manhandle it in place. 3/4 plywood placed on the ground makes it easy to roll. 

• Like 2

Jerry77
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

Don't even consider hooking a 4500lb trailer to a 500lb tractor.   Put a front hitch on your truck and push it in place.

Excellent advise....:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

richmondred01

I’ve used this it gives extra support and brings the hitch further away from fender for turning.

it works well.

BE1890D8-6592-4543-81B2-4E7159D15B66.jpeg

A2886D85-1735-456B-925C-FB66FB35F5C9.jpeg

• Like 1