TonyToro

Rear end axle length question

TonyToro

I was working on the WorkHorse puller tonight. I noticed there is quite a distance from the rearend to the back of the hub. I want to push the rim as close to the rear end as possible. If I push it almost touching the rear end I run out of key way. Are there longer wheel hubs available or possibly a stepped key? Any suggestions? 

RandyLittrell

Tony, you need a rim with a different offset. Cubs were different than Wheel horse and John Deere different yet. You need to figure out how much backspacing you need by measuring your clearance. Then find the right wheel. I used a John Deere wheel reversed on my Cub to tuck it in real close. But I had to modify the fenders to do it. 

When I ran aluminum wheels on my cub I went with a 12x12 with 6" back spacing then had to use a 1/2" spacer to get it were I wanted it. 

And steel wheel before that, I cut 4 wheels apart to make 2 that were 11" wide and the back spacing I wanted. 

Randy

Edited by RandyLittrell
  • Like 3

TonyToro
16 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

Tony, you need a rim with a different offset. Cubs were different than Wheel horse and John Deere different yet. You need to figure out how much backspacing you need by measuring your clearance. Then find the right wheel. I used a John Deere wheel reversed on my Cub to tuck it in real close. But I had to modify the fenders to do it. 

When I ran aluminum wheels on my cub I went with a 12x12 with 6" back spacing then had to use a 1/2" spacer to get it were I wanted it. 

And steel wheel before that, I cut 4 wheels apart to make 2 that were 11" wide and the back spacing I wanted. 

Randy

Thank you Randy. I was told a few guys are pulling with widened rims. I was looking for a cheap and easy route...lol

The Raider 12 distance between the back of the hub and axle housing is much closer than the distance on this GT-1100. Later today I will have to measure that back spacing. Maybe the rim has a different offset. 

I have been thinking of a shortened axle or somehow machining a longer key way in the axle. One guy last pulling season had said his Wheel Horse rear end was narrowed. I still haven’t found any information on that. What  I am finding that there isn’t anything cheap or easy in modifying a pulling tractor. Everything has been taking more time and more money to do. But...it’s all good. Lol

pfrederi

There are some different axle lengths amongst horses.  Just pulled 3 out of the parts bin  all 1-1/8"  Longest was 12 shortest 11-1/4 most c's used 11-5/8.  Splines are all the same.

IMG_0135.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

TonyToro
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

There are some different axle lengths amongst horses.  Just pulled 3 out of the parts bin  all 1-1/8"  Longest was 12 shortest 11-1/4 most c's used 11-5/8.  Splines are all the same.

IMG_0135.JPG

Thank you for the terrific information. The 11 1/4 should work well on the WorkHorse. I haven’t measured the space but appears to be about an inch with the hub flush with the end of the axle. Do you have any source for axles? Do the axles have keyway cut in them?

RandyLittrell

Tony, here are some pics of some different wheels I have. The least backspacing in the WH with about 1 1/4', then I have a cub wheel and a ford wheel both about 2 1/2" but the ford has the valve stem on the inside like a WH. Then the black wheel is on my cub puller, it has a stock backspacing of about 3 1/2" but turned it backwards and use the 5" backspacing that way. You can tuck your wheels in without having to take your tranny apart. Just look for the right wheels. 

"

20180410_152707.jpg

20180410_152647.jpg

20180410_152622.jpg

20180410_153732.jpg

20180410_153408.jpg

Edited by RandyLittrell
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

dieselpuller

Hey Tony I can send pics of my raider how close the wheel are. I built my rims .the closer the better, Walt call if you like 

• Like 1