Jrblanke

Which Tires for 520H with Front End Loader?

Jrblanke

Hey guys,

I have a 1995 520H that I will be using with a Kwikway FEL. I am tired of having to pump up the front tires (completely flat after 3 or 4 days) and am thinking about replacing them. What style of tire should I go with if I am going to be running the front end loader exclusively on the 520H? I was thinking of some kind of ribbed tire. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to running ribbed tires? Also, does the number of ribs matter (1 rib vs 3 ribs)? 

Thanks,

James 

roadapples

I have 6 ply trailer tires on mine. Haven't added air in two years. And with 70 psi they steer great...

• Like 4

littleredrider

I don't have a loader yet, but have the firestone tri ribs on the front of one of my machines. They seem to steer OK, but my yard is super soft right now. I think with the weight of the loader alone, they will really dig into the yard. But if on hardpack, they prolly be great. I'm thinking of getting the Vredesteins from Miller tire. I had them before, and they are a 5 or 6 rib, but are sorta a flat profile. So with weight on them, they shouldn't sink out a site. But with little weight they steer awesome. 

• Like 1

squonk

Tri ribs will steer easier on hard surfaces. I put them on my 520 just to mow with. It made a big difference as I don't have gear reduction steering and hang a heavy recycler deck on it.

• Like 3

lynnmor

I have 4 ply turf tires that I inflate to maximum sidewall specs and they work fine with the loader.  For homeowner use the ribs likely would make some serious tracks, you want more flotation.

• Like 2

cschannuth

I used the tires below and went with the 18x8.50’s. You can steer this thing with your pinky with no load. I’m still working on my loader. 6028AC4C-958C-4249-8730-69F3A3E203CE.jpeg.9a7845237085b4b1e07b8b649386318d.jpeg13556FF4-7E1C-4480-B088-6D0BED450993.jpeg.8940d7d23251be454b150899d0cd803d.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2

Jrblanke

Craig your tractor looks great! 

Y'all bring up a good point about messing up the yard. I will be using the loader to move fill dirt and pea gravel from my concrete driveway, to different places in the yard. So making ruts may be something I need to think about more. Craig's front tires look like a good balance between turf and tri ribbed tires which would seem to be a balance between traction when steering and floation in the yard. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

littleredrider

I had those on my old 520. Didn’t do much with it, but when I did use it in soft ground it didn’t sink in. I plan on getting the same exact size as above, since I have 25s on the back, maybe level it out lil bit...

• Like 1

WHX??

Looks like Craig has got Vredersteins v-61s & good choice. You will need to tube them. You could just tube the old ones too. That's what I did till my V-61 ship comes in.

Looking good on the loader @cschannuth..keep at it!:handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by WHX16
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bmsgaffer

+1 for V61's. I dont have a loader, but the weight of this thing sure plays the part. I can sometimes still sink in a bit when its soft, but the tracks are shallow enough that the rears usually flatten /dimple it mostly out. 

2017-03-21_18_06_42.thumb.jpg.8e9b3eea6d5d94061f3b6ce33313cc13.jpg

• Like 2

cschannuth
On 4/10/2018 at 6:14 PM, WHX16 said:

Looks like Craig has got Vredersteins v-61s & good choice. You will need to tube them. You could just tube the old ones too. That's what I did till my V-61 ship comes in.

Looking good on the loader @cschannuth..keep at it!:handgestures-thumbupright:

Yes on the Vreds. I have tri ribs on another tractor that bite better but I like these a lot. 

Steve_O

cschannuth

Are your 18x8.50’s mounted on a 5-3/8 wide rim?

I need front tires for a recently acquired 520 with a FEL.   V61's look like a good choice, but they are currently not available in 16x6.5-8. 

Also, Do you have any more feedback on the 18x8.5's since April?

Lee1977

The posters above have no ideal how hard the ground gets down here in North Carolina.  The only time you can make ruts is after a lot of rain. Go with 6 plys if you can get them in the tire you want. It's your choice, I like Tri Ribs but I don't have a loader. I have had 6 plys on my mowing tractor since the 90's they steer easy as they don't fold up every time you run over something.  I just put 18 x 6.50 x 8 - 4plys Turf Masters on my 520 as it just has regular steering and I keep a 48" deck on it. 

• Excellent 1

Steve_O

So, I bought the 18x8.50’s.    As soon as they arrived, Miller tire notified me that 16x6.5-8's were back in stock.

Rather than sending them back, I tried the 18.8.5's.  They fit well on a swept axle 520.   They look good.  They ease turning force... .all good stuff.

They do, however, interfere with a the hydraulic pump on a kwick way loader, when turning hard right, if the axle is tilted.    

These 18's will end up on my blower 520.  

• Like 2

AMC RULES

:eusa-hand:   :text-imsorry:

Old saying here on :rs:...

no picts, it never happened.:teasing-poke:

• Excellent 1

WHX??

Yes pics please Steve. Did the 18's unlevel the tractor much? 

Steering better on soft snow and slush. As expected no better on hard pack or ice. A quick pull on the lift lever if they start to skid on tight turns on hard pack.

My sno rig with 16 V's

20190919_183313.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Steve_O

20190920_093548.jpg

20190920_093308.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

WHX??

Looks like those hoses could be re-plumbed to get them up out of the way and closer to the frame.

• Excellent 1

cschannuth
On 7/17/2019 at 7:54 AM, Steve_O said:

cschannuth

Are your 18x8.50’s mounted on a 5-3/8 wide rim?

I need front tires for a recently acquired 520 with a FEL.   V61's look like a good choice, but they are currently not available in 16x6.5-8. 

Also, Do you have any more feedback on the 18x8.5's since April?

Apologize, I just saw this. I’m still having good luck with my 18s. They do get very close to my pump but I built the loader myself so it’s not exactly in the same location yours would be probably. 

ericj

this is my loader, when I bought it, it had the Firestone tri rib on it. I didn't like the way the center rib cut into the soft yard when you had any weight in the bucket or hanging off the front end. I read about the Verstiens on here and thought I would like to give them a try. Found them for sale at Lebanon valley Exbo show in February in the other year. Move the tri ribs over to another 520-H that I use a front dozer blade and rear garden plow on. I like them very much on that tractor. I like the V61 on the loader, supports the load better, making the tractor more stable. I would buy them again and would put them on another loader tractor if It didn't have them on.

eric j   

DSCN1702.JPG

DSCN1703.JPG

Edited by ericj