giantsean

Aftermarket gaskets from "the Bay"

giantsean

Hi All,

I was on one of the parts sites checking out what gaskets were left for a K-532 (turns out, quite a few).  Not sure if THEY were even all OEM but figure $5-ish bucks for one.  Then I stumbled across an entire 25-30 piece full engine set (head, exhaust, odds and ends) for something in the neighborhood of $20 on the world's favorite e-auction site.  I have no doubt it's a made in China set of typical fine Asian quality but it's a bunch of paper gaskets... not airplane parts.  I would probably choose OEM for something like a head gasket, but for odds and ends either low pressure or no/low fluid situations, has anyone tried a set of these and have any stories to share?

thx!

midpack

I've used the sets from eBay. no complaints here.

I make sure the head gasket has the metal edge (not sure exactly what it's called) around the inside where you want it to seal well. ,

• Like 1

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, midpack said:

I've used the sets from eBay. no complaints here.

I make sure the head gasket has the metal edge (not sure exactly what it's called) around the inside where you want it to seal well. ,

Agreed. I've heard that metal ring referred to as a compression ring or Fire Ring. Always make sure that is in place.

I haven't personally experienced it but I've been told that some OEM gaskets don't even have that anymore

Other than that I've had good experiences with the stuff you find on Bay.

• Like 2

953 nut
11 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

OEM gaskets don't even have that anymore

Genuine Kohler head gaskets for the K Twins have the same appearance as the aftermarket ones. I have used the aftermarket head gaskets with good success. Always remember to hot torque any small engine head gasket after the fires test run where it comes up to normal operating temperature.

If you will be needing internal parts keep in mind that pistons and rings from a K-301 will work in a K-532. Here is a listing from Brian Miller's site.

http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/a1miller.htm#rebuildparts

Kohler K-series/Magnum models K301, M12 and K532 Ring Sets, and Piston and Ring Sets (includes wrist pin and retaining clips). (The K301, M12 and K532 engines use the same piston and rings.) Priced per cylinder. Rings made of high grade cast iron for durability. Compression height is 1.7". Being the wrist pin is centered, these pistons can be installed in either direction. IMPORTANT: Click here for proper break-in (wear-in) oils and procedure for rebuilt engines.

• STD Size Ring Sets Only (3.375" cylinder bore size.).
    • Fits K-series cast piston. Aftermarket. Same quality as OEM Kohler. $16.00 each, plus shipping & handling.
    • Fits K-series cast piston. OEM Kohler part # 48 108 01-S. $69.59 each, plus shipping & handling.
    • Fits Mahle piston. OEM Kohler part # 47 108 01-S. $82.17 each, plus shipping & handling.
  • STD Size Pistons and Ring Sets (3.375" cylinder bore size.).
    • Cast piston and rings. Aftermarket. Same quality as OEM Kohler. (Will fit K301, M12 and K532.) $34.50 each, plus shipping & handling.
    • Cast piston and rings. OEM Kohler part # 47 874 06-S. (Listed for K301, but will fit M12 and K532.) $184.44 each, plus shipping & handling.
    • Cast piston and rings. OEM Kohler part # 48 874 01-S. (Listed for K532, but will fit K301 and M12.) $288.99 each, plus shipping & handling.
    • Mahle piston and rings. OEM Kohler part # 47 874 16-S. Discontinued from Kohler. L
  • .003" Oversize Pistons with Rings (3.378" cylinder bore size.). Mahle piston and rings. OEM Kohler part # 47 874 17-S. Discontinued from Kohler. L
  • .010" Oversize Ring Sets Only (3.385" cylinder bore size.).
    • Fits K-series cast piston. Aftermarket. Same quality as OEM Kohler. $18.00 each, plus shipping & handling.
    • Fits K-series cast piston. OEM Kohler part # 48 108 02-S. $119.30 each, plus shipping & handling.
    • Fits Mahle piston. OEM Kohler part # 47 108 02-S. $102.75 each, plus shipping & handling.
  • .010" Oversize Pistons and Ring Sets (3.385" cylinder bore size.).
    • Cast piston and rings. Aftermarket. Same quality as OEM Kohler. (Will fit K301, M12 and K532 engines.) $51.00 each, plus shipping & handling.
    • Cast piston and rings. OEM Kohler part # 47 874 08-S. (Listed for K301, but will fit M12 and K532 engines.) $247.81 each, plus shipping & handling.
    • Cast piston and rings. OEM Kohler part # 48 874 03-S. (Listed for K532, but will fit K301 and M12) $228.89 each, plus shipping & handling.
    • Mahle piston and rings. OEM Kohler part # 47 874 18-S. Discontinued from Kohler. L
  • .020" Oversize Ring Sets Only (3.395" cylinder bore size.).
    • Fits K-series cast piston. Aftermarket. Same quality as OEM Kohler. $18.00 each, plus shipping & handling.
    • Fits K-series cast piston. OEM Kohler part # 48 108 03-S. $119.30 each, plus shipping & handling.
    • Fits Mahle piston. OEM Kohler part # 47 108 03-S. $83.03 each, plus shipping & handling.
  • .020" Oversize Pistons and Ring Sets (3.395" cylinder bore size.).
    • Cast piston and rings. Aftermarket. Same quality as OEM Kohler. (Will fit K301, M12 and K532.) $46.00 each, plus shipping & handling.
    • Cast piston and rings. OEM Kohler part # 47 874 09-S. (Listed for K301, but will fit M12 and K532.) $247.81 each, plus shipping & handling.
    • Cast piston and rings. OEM Kohler part # 48 874 04-S. (Listed for K532, but will fit K301 and M12) $228.99 each, plus shipping & handling.
    • Mahle piston and rings. OEM Kohler part # 47 874 19-S. $182.66 each, plus shipping & handling.
  • .030" Oversize Ring Sets Only (3.405" cylinder bore size.).
    • Fits K-series cast piston. OEM Kohler part # 48 108 04-S. $119.19 each, plus shipping & handling.
    • Fits Mahle piston. OEM Kohler part # 47 108 04-S. $83.03 each, plus shipping & handling.
  • .030" Oversize Pistons and Ring Sets (3.405" cylinder bore size.).
    • Cast piston and rings. Aftermarket. Same quality as OEM Kohler. (Will fit K301, M12 and K532.) $52.00 each, plus shipping & handling.
    • Cast piston and rings. OEM Kohler part # 47 874 10-S. (Listed for K301 and M12, but will fit K532.) $247.81 each, plus shipping & handling.
    • Mahle piston and rings. OEM Kohler part # 47 874 20-S. $182.66 each, plus shipping & handling.
  • .040" Oversize Pistons with Rings (3.415" cylinder bore size.). Ring set not available separately. L
    • Cast piston and rings. Aftermarket. Same quality as OEM Kohler. OEM Kohler-replicated; fits K301, M12 and K532 engines. Irrelevant Kohler part number. $60.00 each, plus shipping & handling.
    • twin-rod.gifNew connecting rods for Kohler KT-series and Magnum engine models MV16, KT17, KT17 Series II, M18, MV18 with a wrist pin hole diameter of .625" and STD crank journal diameter of 1.3733"/1.3738". NOTE: Crank journal must be reground .010" undersize to match this rod. And new rods for model KT19 is no longer available. L Also, the KT17 cylinders are different than the M18 cylinders because the OEM KT17 rods are narrower than the M18 rods. To make the KT17 cylinders work with M18 rods, grind away (notch out) the lower portion of the cylinders until the rods clear. Or acquire a couple of M18 cylinders that's in good condition. (The OEM [US] manufacturers are phasing out many parts for flathead engines due to EPA smog emissions. But some parts may still be available in aftermarket.) The alternative to using undersize rods - If STD size or .010" undersize rods are in good condition, the matching crank journals can be reground so they're perfectly round again then if the original rod(s) isn't badly scored or burnt, it can be resized to fit to odd-size undersize journal(s) with .0025" oil clearance. NOTE - The maximum a connecting rod can be resized to is .005" undersize. If it's resized more than .005", being the big hole in the rod will be made excessively oblong or egg-shaped, which will allow it to less bearing surface contact around the crank journal after being resized, due to the centrifugal force at 3,600 RPM, the big end of the rod could become elongated (metal stretch) and might eventually knock and possibly break. IMPORTANT: To prevent scoring of the rods when the engine is ran for the first time, apply clean motor oil, gear oil or lubricating grease on crank journal before installing rod. This will better protect the parts until crankcase oil reaches them. IMPORTANT: Click here for proper break-in (wear-in) oils and procedure for rebuilt engines.
      • STD size.
        • High quality aftermarket. $70.00 each, plus shipping & handling.
        • OEM Kohler part # 52 067 67-S. $98.90 each, plus shipping & handling.
      • .010" undersize (w/hole drilled in beam section).
        • High quality aftermarket. $90.00 each, plus shipping & handling.
        • OEM Kohler part # 52 067 68-S. $123.88 each, plus shipping & handling.

twin-rod.gifNew connecting rod for Kohler KT-series and Magnum engine models KT19 series II, M20 and MV20 with a wrist pin hole diameter of .750" and STD crank journal diameter of 1.4993"/1.4998". NOTE: Crank journal must be reground .010" undersize to match this rod. The alternative to using undersize rods - If STD size or .010" undersize rods are in good condition, the matching crank journals can be reground so they're perfectly round again then if the original rod(s) isn't badly scored or burnt, it can be resized to fit to odd-size undersize journal(s) with .0025" oil clearance. NOTE - The maximum a connecting rod can be resized to is .005" undersize. If it's resized more than .005", being the big hole in the rod will be made excessively oblong or egg-shaped, which will allow it to less bearing surface contact around the crank journal after being resized, due to the centrifugal force at 3,600 RPM, the big end of the rod could become elongated (metal stretch) and might eventually knock and possibly break. IMPORTANT: To prevent scoring of the rods when the engine is started for the first time, apply clean motor oil, gear oil or lubricating grease on crank journal before installing rod. This will better protect the parts until crankcase oil reaches them. IMPORTANT: Click here for proper break-in (wear-in) oils and procedure for rebuilt engines.

• STD size no longer available from any source. Not available in aftermarket. L (The OEM [US] manufacturers are phasing out many parts for flathead engines due to EPA smog emissions. But some parts may still be available in aftermarket.)
      • .010" undersize (w/hole drilled in beam section). OEM Kohler part # 52 067 72-S. $93.10 each, plus shipping & handling.
      k482k532.jpgConnecting rods for Kohler engine models K482, K532, K582 and K660/K662 are no longer available from Kohler. Used and New Old Stock rods can be purchased off of eBay when available. And with the crankshaft rod journals reground to .010", .020" or .030" undersize, the K482, K532 or K582 connecting rods can be bored for installation of bearing inserts. Bearing inserts that's made for certain British MG Midget cars will fit the K482, K532 and K582 rods perfectly when the rods are bored to accept these (STD size, .010", .020" or .030" undersize) bearing inserts. The alternative to using undersize rods - if a STD size or .010" undersize rod is in good condition, the matching crank journal can be reground until it's perfectly round again, then if the original rod isn't badly scored or burnt, it can be resized (in a connecting rod honing machine) to fit or match the odd-size undersize journal with .0025" oil clearance. Bearing inserts cannot be used in this procedure. NOTE - The maximum a connecting rod can be resized to is .005" undersize. If it's resized more than .005", being the big hole in the rod will be made excessively oblong or egg-shaped, which will allow it to less bearing surface contact around the crank journal after being resized, due to the centrifugal force at 3,600 RPM, the big end of the rod could become elongated (metal stretch) and might eventually knock and possibly break. Contact Elson Nichols of Loop 70 Automotive Machine Shop, 14 Business Loop 70 East, Columbia, Missouri 65203 USA. Phone: 1-573-449-0893. Email: vjnen@centurytel.net. He can bore the K482, K532 or K582 rods and install bearing inserts for a reasonable price.
      • The K482 STD size connecting rod is OEM Kohler part number A-277130-S.
      • The K482 .010" undersize connecting rod is OEM Kohler part number A-277130-S-10.
      • The K532 and K582 STD size connecting rod in an engine with [K301 or K321 K-series] cast pistons (wide wrist pin hole) is OEM Kohler part number 48 067 12-S.
      • The K532 and K582 .010" undersize connecting rod in an engine with [K301 or K321 K-series] cast pistons (wide wrist pin hole) is OEM Kohler part number 48 067 13-S.
      • The K532 and 582 STD size connecting rod in an engine with [M12, M14 or M16 Magnum] Mahle pistons (narrow wrist pin hole) is 48 067 16-S.
      • The K532 and 582 .010" undersize connecting rod in an engine with [M12, M14 or M16 Magnum] Mahle pistons (narrow wrist pin hole) is 48 067 17-S.
      • The K660/K662 connecting rod is OEM Kohler part numbers: A-271741-S (aluminum rod); A-270890 (steel rod). Bearing inserts for these rods are no longer available from Kohler
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

lynnmor

I have had some Chinese paper gaskets turn to mush in one season.  If you use them, be sure you are saving enough money to warrant a possible redo.

pacer

I too have had good luck with the import gaskets, and have even used on several occasions now the overhaul sets (piston, rings, gaskets, etc)

In one case of refreshing a K532 I used piston/rings off the bay for a K301 as mentioned. Ive got some 40-50 hrs on it now and working great.

giantsean

Great info... thanks fellas!  I shall report my findings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

giantsean

So ultimately I ended up buying some gasket material from Amazon, mostly because it will get her in two days, but also because when looking at the picture closely, the stuff looks more papery and less "gaskety" than the OEM's I've seen.  For what it's worth the head and exhaust gaskets look the same as OEM.

I could be way wrong but since I really only need one at the moment it's easy enough to make it... I'll probably give these a try at some point once it's time to skin this pig proper :)

s-l1600.jpg