The New Guy

Kohler K181S starting problems...

The New Guy

New to the site and I'm not a mechanic but I picked up a B-80 Eight Speed to eventually do some plowing with and I'm diving into the engine. It hasn't ran in a number of years. I've changed the oil, new spark plug, new fuel line and new fuel filter. When I try to start it I just get one click from the starter. It doesn't engage and doesn't turn over (the engine isn't seized up. It turns fine by hand). Would my next place to look be the coil? Starter? Remember, I'm not a mechanic but I will be very appreciative of any help you can give me. Thanks! 

rjg854

I'd start by checking all the wire connections, and grounds. 

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:             With any electrical problem the first step should be to have the battery load tested, auto parts stores will do it for free.

Next you need to clean and tighten all electrical connections including grounds. If the battery is good and the problem persists begin by taking a jumper cable from the battery "+" directly to the large wire terminal on the starter.

This manual has a wiring diagram that may be helpful.

• Like 2

KC9KAS

@The New Guy :WRS:  

I have a B-80 and it is a working machine for only being 8 hp!

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON

Welcome to Redsqure 

As the guys all said check wiring connections. I have a b80 with the K181  and there great engines . Here is a wiring diagram for yours that may help. The wire colors may be different on yours but the wire connection will be the same.

As 953nut posted check all connections first and if every thing is ok then jumper from battery positive to starter and if it turns over you'll know it's not the starter.

BASIC WIRING B80 - C160.jpg

Edited by BOB ELLISON
  • Like 3

richmondred01

Turn the key on. Place a screw on both solenoid contacts and see if it turns.

if not pull the two bolts that hold your starter to the engine and remove.

check the starter by grounding starter housing and touch hot lead to starter post.

the starter should spin. 

Edited by richmondred01

The New Guy

I really appreciate all of the help you all have given. All the connections seem to be good. I'll go through this scenario as soon as possible and see how it goes. Can a starter be repaired if need be? If it's just sorta 'stuck' and won't turn, can it be worked loose and freed up again? 

richmondred01

They can be repaired or you can buy a used one for 35-40 bucks or a Chinese knock off for 60-65. 

Ive got several sitting around.

The New Guy

Great. I'll be working on it again this weekend and I'll see how it goes. Thanks!