moe1965

42in mower deck belt tension

moe1965

I have a 42 in mower deck and I'm not sure how to adjust the belt tension on the deck.  Is the bar I'm pointing at to be tightened  after the belt is installed or is the bar saposed to be able to move in the slot when the mower is in opperation to self adjust for slack.  Hope this make sense

20180407_162125.jpg

roadapples

It adjusts itself...clean occasionally so it moves freely...

Edited by roadapples
  • Like 3

moe1965

Thanks. That's what I thought but wanted to make sure.  That's why I love these tractors simple designes but work so well.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Lane Ranger

I recommend  taking off the bar, spring and pulley in the tension area and changing the carriage bolts based upon the picture you have of the deck.    Cleanup the surface  by sanding or wiring brushing and repainting with some Rustoleum  Regal Red paint.    Clean the tension bar well also and even paint with silver paint, etc. You will save your mower deck for much longer use by doing so.    Paint the spring also!   

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

doc724

to add to Lanes advice, buy a few of those plastic shoulder washers and keep them in your spare parts bin.  These are the first to wear.  They do not cost much so combine them into another order if you are ordering other repair parts.

• Like 6

clueless
1 hour ago, Lane Ranger said:

I recommend  taking off the bar, spring and pulley in the tension area and changing the carriage bolts based upon the picture you hacve of the deck.    Cleanup the surface  by sanding or wiring brushing and repaiting with some Rustoleum  Regal Red paint.    Clean the tension bar well also and even paint with silver paint, etc. You will save your mower deck for much longer use by doing so.    Paint the spring also!   

22 minutes ago, doc724 said:

to add to Lanes advice, buy a few of those plastic shoulder washers and keep them in your spare parts bin.  These are the first to wear.  They do not cost much so combine them into another order if you are ordering other repair parts.

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

gwest_ca

2nd item down on this page for tension washers

Garry

• Like 4

jay bee

Also, that double sheave drive pulley looks like it has a broken off zerk fitting.  That happens a lot on these decks.

• Like 1

lynnmor

The bar you have your finger on probably has considerable wear at the bolt locations.  The tension spring looks to be crippled as well.  I would replace the bar, plastic washers, grease fitting and the spring if it were mine.

• Like 1

peter lena

in addition to the broken zerk  fitting, on drive pulley, the slide bar / spring tension follower needs lubrication, the belt is also frayed. some simple detailing on the way this drive system is supposed to  function will make it work without effort.  pete

GREYGHOST

Moe1965 is trying to repair his deck. Lots of suggestions on what parts to replace. Now not to sound stupid, but where can one find those parts now a days. The reason I ask is the 417A that I just purchased needs a lot of TLC, PARTS included. It also makes it difficult to research without any manuals. My local TORO distributor treats Wheel Horse customers like they have some communicable disease. They hate to look up parts, because they usually are obsolete. So if there is an easier way to obtain parts, I'm All Ears. 

moe1965

Depending on what parts you need for instance the slider bar can be easily made with the diameter  length and gauge of steel used. The only thing you would have to do is find a machine shop to mill out the slot it rides in.  If that is what you are looking for i can do it for you .  What other parts are you looking for  ?

GREYGHOST

That's just it, those plastic shoulder washers? Not sure where those would go, but it looks like a nice nylon fender washer would be ideal under the steel washer on top of the tension bar. Not sure if there is a rotating bushing that rides in the slot of that bar. If not looks like a good place for one. Without a parts breakdown I don't know.

moe1965

You got it there is a nylon washer on top and bottom of slide bar and a nylon bushing as well between them.  That's how mine is set up.  Also a nylon locking nut so you can tighten it up leaving some play so the bar can move back and forth while in operation and the nut will not back off.  You can find the nylon washers etc at loews or home depot in the hardware section.  Hope this helps.  

• Thanks 1

gwest_ca

The very first picture in this thread looks like a 48" deck. 

Just a wild guess on the model year

Garry

• Like 1

moe1965

It is s 48 i should have changed it in the prior post.  I think the 42 and 48 are set up about the same....sorry for the confusion.   

lynnmor

For parts, go to the TORO site with your model and serial number.  Get the part number and Google it to find the best price.  Many parts are still available and I just got the parts being discussed for the mower deck.  Despite having a machine shop, the parts didn't cost much more than what it would have if I made them.

• Like 3

tunahead72

Once you have part numbers, you can check out any of the parts suppliers here. A lot of these sites also have parts diagrams:

There's lots of parts manuals here on RedSquare, do some exploring when you get a chance:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/

And don't forget our vendors, some of them have Wheel Horse stuff you just won't find anywhere else:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/92-vendors/

• Thanks 1