Deadguy

B80 with nothing but potential...

Deadguy

April in northern WI... how long until the transmission ice melts?

E137B1E8-0B4D-4238-8B6C-B5BCE4B89A11.png

stevebo

A pressure washer may be in order... Wonder how much peeling paint it would take off?

AMC RULES

:ychain: You're gonna lose a lot of patina.  :teasing-poke:

• Haha 1

Deadguy
6 minutes ago, stevebo said:

A pressure washer may be in order... Wonder how much peeling paint it would take off?

I am thinking a pressure washer is in order, but with temps over here still around 10, it might be a while.  Given that the original paint was covered in barn paint years ago, I doubt there is any patina to save.

Deadguy

Now the 8hp 4speed that I got with this B80 has a freaky sweet patina. It’s a shame that my wife is making me sell it once it’s rehabilitation is complete.

• Like 1

oliver2-44

Let's see now, is this one the 8HP or is it the B80. One in the garage one in the shed.....she will neve know you still have 2 of them

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Deadguy said:

April in northern WI... how long until the transmission ice melts?

June?

B80 looks like it would be a great runner.

Pollack Pete

Fix it up and use it.I have a B-80 at my house in the Adirondacks.Has a small rear discharge deck on it.Surprises me how capable the little Kohler 8 horse is.And.......it sips gas.Have fun with your new toys.

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

That will buff out.

Or, you can do it all with very little elbow grease. paint like that will come off in the electrolysis tank. It will take a few days, but the dividend is not removing any metal that is not rusted. The rust even comes out of the pitted areas and they can be filled successfully. On a job like the hood, you need big fat annodes. Maybe 2 inch angle iron or fence posts...Plenty of wait time, but not a lot of work

If you decide to use just abrasion, these little beauties work pretty well so long as it is a larger flat area. A bolt sticking out will tear them up.https://www.harborfreight.com/4-1-2-half-inch-nylon-abrasive-wheel-94017.html

Deadguy

This electrolysis doodad sounds interesting....

• Like 1

pfrederi

I use junked disc brake rotors and weld an old bolt on them to hang them at the ends of the barrel

IMG_0028.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

ohiofarmer
8 hours ago, Deadguy said:

This electrolysis doodad sounds interesting....

Yep. The main thing to remember is to keep wire brushing the annodes morning and evening at the minimum to keep the rust flying off the part you want to clean. A manual battery charger is better than one of the new electronic ones as well. pfrederi has a great setup with the big surface area a brake drum provides

RandyLittrell

:bow-blue::bow-blue: To the man working on a dirt floor and ice still on the tractor. I was raised to make do, but you are one hardy soul!! I am a wimp, I gotta have a concrete floor and heat now that I am older. Hats off to ya brother!!

Randy

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

A project is to be done. Best of luck. Good machines, I have had one. Gave it to my friend, he luvs it. 

Glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn

DennisThornton
On 4/7/2018 at 1:51 PM, pfrederi said:

I use junked disc brake rotors and weld an old bolt on them to hang them at the ends of the barrel

IMG_0028.JPG

Never thought about cutting a barrel that way!  Nice!

• Like 1

pfrederi
1 minute ago, DennisThornton said:

Never thought about cutting a barrel that way!  Nice!

I have it on a heavy duty movers dolly so i can move it around. (slowly to avoid sloshing) Takes two passes to do fenders and hoods wish I had something bigger.

• Like 1

Deadguy
6 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

:bow-blue::bow-blue: To the man working on a dirt floor and ice still on the tractor. I was raised to make do, but you are one hardy soul!! I am a wimp, I gotta have a concrete floor and heat now that I am older. Hats off to ya brother!!

Randy

Right now there is ice on everything, the overnight lows are still dropping into the single digits.   And to think that one year ago on this day, the ground was already thawed, i was plowing the garden, and it was in the 60’s outside!

• Like 2

DennisThornton
35 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

I have it on a heavy duty movers dolly so i can move it around. (slowly to avoid sloshing) Takes two passes to do fenders and hoods wish I had something bigger.

I have 2 or 3 275 gal oil tanks that I intend to use.  One for a sandblaster, another for a molasses rust removal tank and if I'm careful for an electrolysis tank.

But, BIG tanks take LOTS of liquids.  Not so bad on the electrolysis side but more so on the molasses side.  Or other chelating chemicals 

A wooden frame and some heavy poly (with some protection!) might better suit your needs if your barrel is not big enough.

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

@DennisThornton Molasses as rust removal ? Give me details

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, pfrederi said:

.......Takes two passes to do fenders and hoods wish I had something bigger.

Measure the minimum size you need and get a box store storage tote a bit bigger.

DennisThornton
5 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@DennisThornton Molasses as rust removal ? Give me details

Unbelievable but true!

10% molasses and 90% water  Maybe twice that concentration and heat helps

Black strap molasses is from the third boiling and contains relatively few sugars and a concentrated spectrum of minerals like copper, calcium, magnesium, potassium, and iron. This concentrated combination of minerals creates the chelating process to remove rust. So, it's important to get Black Strap Molasses. Small quantities can be found in some grocery stores, most health food stores and restaurant supply shops. Larger quantities can be found at feed mills.

Molasses owes its properties to cyclic hydroxamic acids which are powerful chelators of iron. (benzoxazinoids)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
36 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Molasses owes its properties to cyclic hydroxamic acids which are powerful chelators of iron. (benzoxazinoids)

:scared-eek:        And to think, we just added it to cattle feed. I guess the cows stomachs didn't rust!      :ychain:

RandyLittrell
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

:scared-eek:        And to think, we just added it to cattle feed. I guess the cows stomachs didn't rust!      :ychain:

I worked at the CO-OP all through high school and you didn't go in the molasses pit without a fresh air resperator or the fumes could over take you. At least thats what I was told! 

Randy

• Like 1

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

My first run was with molasses was with cattle feed molasses and I thought I'd found the bargain way to buy it.  It worked but it has SO much other filler that I think it's better to buy straight liquid instead.

• Like 1