upstate yank

wheel horse B-80

upstate yank

well here i am again after my last post a few months back pertaining to a 1973 16 horse automatic ;as i have so many reply and stated it is not what you think it is ;it seems everyone has to get there 2 cents in and think they know so much about so little ;but really it  doesn't matter as i sold it for a lot more then what i paided for it ;so now i ask about an issue i am having with my B-80- 8 horse ;when i first unloaded it started every time;for at least a week, but once i decided to add the mower deck and each time i shut it off to adjust the rod  for the PTO  it did start up again , but then it was like the battery was dead nothing when i turned the key switch ;the battery is charged ;the starter was rebuilt ;i have changed the condenser and the solenoid 'i even tried to jump it with a pair of pliers from both posts off the solenoid the motor would spin but that was all ;i even tried the jumper from the plus side of the coil to the plus side of the battery boy did  it  fry that wire ;so where do i go from here as it is a hair puller and at my age i don;t have much hair to pull anymore 'any help sure would be appreciated ;and yes i have the wiring diagram and every wire is in place 'at least i think 

ebinmaine

Couple things come to mind. Pto switch circuit and a bad ground.

Do you have a test light or multimeter?

Did you run a continuity test with key on to see if there's power going through the pto switch?

Have you push/pulled the pto on/off to be sure it's working the switch correctly? 

Or... when was the last time ALL the terminal connections were removed and cleaned?

Edited by ebinmaine
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

upstate yank

thanks for the input on the problem .yes i did check the pto i moved it back and forth ;i as well cleaned the wires and battery posts ;i do have a test light and as with your thoughts the pto safety switch is bad ;always something and i would like to by pass the switch if i knew how ;they are a pain ;thanks again 

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Bypassing the PTO switch is as simple as connecting the wires and triple checking to make sure that it's well-insulated. I would absolutely never recommend doing so if you have any young children in the area or more than one person operates the machine.

upstate yank

thanks again and no little ones here as the 4 has wings of there own and flew away 'i will try that ;i wonder if it could be the safety switch on the pedal if so i have another one to try if that isn't the issue the next step is the PTO safety switch 'again thanks and i will let you know but again the weather is changing and not for the good ;as i am ready to mow with my other horse ;always something but heck you can't beat a horse or even 4 hehe

• Like 1