DennisThornton

Quicken Users?

DennisThornton

With such a vast and in-depth collection of knowledge here I was wondering if there was also someone with knowledge of Quicken financial software.  I've been using it for a LONG while but at times it just stumps me!  I started searching for a good user group besides Quicken's and it dawned on me that maybe someone here had already found one. 

It's really hard (impossible?) to find a user group about ANYTHING that is as good as this one!

• Like 2

formariz

I have been using it for over 20 years now. Anything I can help you with?

DennisThornton

It just dawned on me that I've been using it for over 20 years as well.  Gosh! Time flies...

I knew there were folks here using Quicken!

I think I was dealing with a corrupted data file with all sorts of oddities going on.  With much difficulty I've moved the data to another file but it wasn't pretty!  Lots of rechecking and balancing.  Still not done!  No way I'll be able to file without an extension!

I was hoping to open two data files at once to copy between them but Quicken won't open two data files at the same time like most other progs will.  It will copy between accounts but not between files.  At least no way I know.

First of all is there a good user group somewhere?

formariz

Besides the automatically backed up copies do you not back it up on a regular basis? I back it up everyday on two different devices, one automatically done also. Problems with this program would definitely be catastrophic. Any issues I only have to restore back up of same day or at worse the day before. That way nothing major needs to be reconstructed.

I never really looked for any user groups, but in the distant past I spent a lot of time speaking to tech support over issues or quirks I did not understand. They were very helpful all the time. Most  if not all of the problems I ever had always happened when it was upgraded to a new version.

• Thanks 1

DennisThornton

These issues crept up on me.  It appeared that all was well but it wasn't.  Then I couldn't connect anymore.  And, yep, all after an upgrade!

I did learn two things, one can export any range of data from any account and to any other Quicken data file, not just from one account to another account within that file.  That way I can transfer data from this file to that file.  Did not know that before this thread.

There is a built data file repair utility which I ran several times until there were no issues.  Then I deactivated all accounts and reconnected all of them.  Still have some duplicates with my bank but Quicken assures me it's the bank and not the Quicken program.  Still aggravating...

I'm glad to hear you had good luck with Quicken phone support because I've had trouble just getting through.

Still like a good online forum for Quicken users...

Thanks though!  It's nice to know that at least you are here!

Any others??

formariz

Like I stated before, for me problems with this program would be nothing short of catastrophic. So besides all the backup procedures I described above and since my problems have only been right after an update, now when it is time to update it, I load program into another desktop that I have and back all current data into it. I update that one and see how everything goes. If I have problems I still have the intact version in the main PC which I continue using until I work everything out in the other one. Once all kinks are gone and I am familiar with it, I then update the main PC. If that does not go well I have the other one working correctly. Sounds crazy but it is the only way I can be absolutely sure that I will not have problems. Updates some times work and look very differently than previous version and it can take a while to learn to use it correctly. They also almost always screw up at least a few institution connections if not all of them .Keep in mind that also, occasionally some financial institutions change their protocols to connect into them and that shows up as an error when you try to connect.

• Thanks 1

DennisThornton

I have far less faith in Quicken than I did. 

Good idea and I can implement but shame on Quicken for us needing to do so,