moe1965

C 141 automatic

moe1965

I'm going to look at a c 141 automatic tonight with two mower decks and a front blade. Stored indoors not ran in five years but did run when last used 5 years ago.  I never owned a automatic and not sure what kinda price range they go for.  What price range is a good deal?  It has a Koehler engine.  Thanks for any imput I'm thinking of restoring it 

Edited by moe1965
More info

jay bee

I'm by no stretch of the imagination an expert on evaluation of tractors, but if I were selling that tractor I would be thinking around $500 for just the tractor.  Good decks are at least $100 to $150 each and the front blade has to be worth at least $100.  Weights and chains add a little more if they come with the deal.  Make sure the rear axle mount is there for the front blade.  Also make sure you get the mule drive for the decks.  If you take a "jump starter" and a can of starting fluid with you, you can at least see if it wants to fire and start.  The good part is that when buying as a package you should be able to get a better deal.  Also the fact that it is not running and you have to take their word that everything is in good working order should put you at a negotiating advantage and I would certainly use that.

I'm sure that members that have more experience than me will chime in with more info.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, jay bee said:

round $500 for just the tractor

I agree with that - IFF - you can drive it.

Non running... you don't know for sure if trans is any good.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

A non runner is a big gamble, especially an automatic that you can not test.   I do prefer the hydros for all my work, especially for blowing and plowing snow.

Good decks with no rust thru, good spindles, blades, belt, and working belt tensioner are easily worth 2-300 bucks.  The blade, frame, and axle bracket are worth 150-200$.

I am not a fan of the rocker plate engine tractors, but they perform OK. I just think all tractors should have a solid engine mount and I don't see any less vibration in the rubber mounted engines.

If the tractor were running so I could check the hydro by chaining it to a tree and running it hot in forward and reverse while spinning the tires and the tractor was clean, I would say 4-500 bucks for the tractor.      With out being able to test the engine and tranny the price has to be much less.   But with two good decks and a complete dozer  4-500 for the package would be tops.

• Like 3

moe1965

ok here is paul harvy with the rest of the story..Ended up i knew the guy from a friend I know. His dad bought it brand new and used it to mow his grass and push his  snow here in town. Not sure of the year of the tractor so i will send a pix of the vin number if any one can tell me. Based on the size of the yard his father owned and used it  there are not a lot of hrs on the engine when the previous owner inherited it.  The previous owner used it to pull a lawn roller around and mow with from time to time.  He ended up with a extra deck and mule drive  from a friend that had a similar tractor that blew up. when i went  over there today he had a new battery in it and it cranked over but had no spark.  I bought it  as is  got both decks, snow blade and new battery for 450.00 .       Based on the pictures it looks to me like there might be some moisture issues due to the storage and am hoping its a connection in the wiring issue. Points I hope.  I'll  keep you all informed and im sure I'll have some questions.

• Like 1

moe1965

20180405_180540.jpg

20180405_191227.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Ed Kennell

1978     C-141

You did OK.   Get her running and check the hydro.

• Like 2

moe1965

I'm hoping for the best  on the trans.  I feel better that I now more history on the tractor.  If it's no good I know where he lives.    I'll egg his house.  LOL

Just to add for those who never heard of Paul Harvey the rest of the story.  Check out on YouTube Paul  Harvey what happend to the Mayflower 

Edited by moe1965
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Ed Kennell

Make sure you know what fluid was used in the tranny before adding any.    It could be ATF (pink) or motor oil(amber).  They don't mix well.

• Like 1

jay bee

I'm hoping for the best for you based on your connections to the owner and the history you've found out about.  If all works out, you made a heck of a score.  I'm sure that just dressing the points and that horse will fire up.  Good luck to you.

PS...I miss Paul Harvey!

Edited by jay bee
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, moe1965 said:

egg his house

:ROTF:

Duck eggs are bigger and have a larger yolk.... just sayin.

I miss Paul Harvey too.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: ...and Casey Kasem too.  :lol:

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Hope I read your numbers correctly. Click on the fuzzy pictures

Garry

• Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

c-series don

I really only want one more tractor (OK maybe more!) that's a C-141 Automatic then I will have almost all of the 78-79 C's ! Then again a 420-LSE would be a nice addition to the collection too!! 

• Like 1

Herder
22 hours ago, moe1965 said:

20180405_180540.jpg

20180405_191227.jpg

Nice score. I have the identical tractor.  

Herder
5 minutes ago, Herder said:

Nice score. I have the identical tractor.  

I bought mine two years ago and I put a dozer blade on it and have been using it like that since. It's amazing what that tractor can push. What  ever type of hydo units they used in the mid to late 70s they where as strong as a bull. 

moe1965

I got it up and running today.  i mowed the lawn for about a hour  or should   i say  chopped up leaves and had no issues other than a mower deck issue with the belt. i will be posting a question in the implement section to ask a question about belt tension. im picking up up the other deck and blade tomorrow. im happy with it so far.  i dont really need it but im gona replace a 12 hp no name for this one,

• Like 2

c-series don

We really need some more pictures of this C-141 !! If you would please!

jay bee

:text-yeahthat:

moe1965

Here is some more pictures as requested.  This is the second mower deck I put on today and tested out.  Worked well no issues. Ran it for about a hour and didn't miss s beat.. the pictures are without the hood. But I do have it.  I'm might have a charging issue but I'm not st sure.. with the Tractor running the reading I'm getting on my volt meter is 14.10 volts.   Seams a little high to me.... forgot to add when I picked up the other deck and snow blade the owner found a set of brand new chains he gave me.     Asked me if I wanted them.  No hesitation on my part....

20180408_191109.jpg

20180408_191034.jpg

20180408_191000.jpg

Edited by moe1965
More info
  • Like 4

ebinmaine
48 minutes ago, moe1965 said:

Tractor running the reading I'm getting on my volt meter is 14.10 volts.   Seams a little high to me....

I don't know the exact spec but I'm thinking you're fine with anything between  about 13.5 - 14.5 or so.

• Like 2