Lost Pup

Chasing An Oil Leak (Hard Way) Easy oil and Filter Change 416H

Lost Pup

I reached a point where I chased down  a oil leak and repaired it. It was a bit more involved than I expected but 24oz morning coffee must have not been Decaf. I powerwashed the 416H first then I removed the side tins to find more oily mess and buildup. Cleaned all of that up and wrapped a few paper towels around the cleaned up hydraulic hoses and put the tins back on. The Pics are after the first powerwashing cleaning.

Ran the 416H with the loader for a few weeks watching for leaks . The Onan engine oil was the only low fluid, engine ran perfectly with no issuses, smoke or noises.  The oil drain fittings were covered and leaking. Trying to remove them was plain fun. The short piece going from the oil drain cap to the 90 degree fitting was unwilling to turn out  no matter how I tried. The length from the 90 to the engine crankcase was just plain loose at both ends, the draining length would just rotate up and down with no wrench, super loose. Engine oil had leaked for so long that it completely migrated over, under and to the rear of the tractor. No hydraulic hose leaks at all. I had thought the axle seals or hydro were leaking given all the crud covering hydro when I first cleaned it up.  Of course in operation the hydro fan had helped to spread the oil nicely.

Tried all the tricks mentioned to tighten the oil drain fittings but was afraid just torquing ( to remove ) on the oil drain short pipe end was really bending the pipe length after the 90 going to the engine side crankcase. I did not want to damage the crankcase  (crack it) itself so the i hooked up the hoist and had to lift the engine out to fix the problem.

End of the story is it's was the easiest oil and filter change I ever did. Installed new oil drain fittings rather snuggly for the oil drain line.  Truthfully if was a full day at it to repair it. The PO had no clue. I found after pulling the tins that he had sprayed White Lithium grease over the oily crud to lubricate everything. Amazing how oil and grease really keep the rust down on an unkept machine. Enjoy the pics.

1-DSC03871.JPG

1-DSC04289.JPG

1-DSC03908.JPG

1-DSC03889.JPG

• Like 5

WHX??

Had the same problem on a 520. Nipple was wicked loose in the block. Yes can't swing the elbow without hitting the frame. You went the whole hog route Pup. I just removed the mounting bolts and used a pry bar to lift the engine just enough to remove, re-pipe tape and snug back in. I used a new nipple just in case the old threads were boogered but probably didn't have to. Threads in block looked good.

• Like 2

Lost Pup
22 hours ago, WHX16 said:

Had the same problem on a 520. Nipple was wicked loose in the block. Yes can't swing the elbow without hitting the frame. You went the whole hog route Pup. I just removed the mounting bolts and used a pry bar to lift the engine just enough to remove, re-pipe tape and snug back in. I used a new nipple just in case the old threads were boogered but probably didn't have to. Threads in block looked good.

Tilting the engine would not give enough height to spin the 90 with the short pipe length attached. This was the seized length. I just needed to lift the engine higher so the darn thing would be able to rotate out.  For kicks I used two 18" wrenches on the ground to get that 90 (remove) loose after I removed it from the block pipe ( loose side ) length. I already had new fittings but I needed to have the final victory here. Score one for the "real" coffee that morning.

I still wonder how long the PO had just kept adding oil to cover the leaks.....but then again it's a  common story here....find a good deal (cheap) on a tractor, a few simple fixes and a bulletproof machine back in service.

Edited by Lost Pup
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Just be careful not to over tighten and crack that aluminum block... that would suck! :no:

Lost Pup
1 hour ago, WHX16 said:

Just be careful not to over tighten and crack that aluminum block... that would suck! :no:

I had a chance when just tilting the engine to remove the seized side but when the block pipe side started to flex when applying wrench pressure I was afraid of just that.

After snugging up the new fitting to the block a thread or two was still left and so far no leaks.

Edited by Lost Pup