Neil2322

Starter motor

Neil2322

Hi All,

i own a Wheel Horse C126 in great original condition but it's starter motor is coming to the end of its life. I have stripped it, cleaned it and rewired it to get it through the last couple of seasons but now it needs sorting properly.

I live in England and parts genuine parts are not easy to come by or are expensive. The starter looks kind of generic so my question is:

Is there a compatible starter motor available?

or Shall i get the old one rewound and overhauled?

All the best

Neil2322

Edited by Neil2322
typing error

KC9KAS

@Neil2322 :WRS: Sorry, I can't help your with your starter problem, but someone will be along to help.

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

If you can identify the starter a kit like this would likely repair it. The bushings wear and create excessive drag in the armature. This company in Canada told me they would ship to Europe.

https://www.bantasaw.com/catalog/viewproduct.asp?i=&p=5140

With permanent magnetic fields there is not much to fail electrically.

Garry

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Keith of kent

Hi Neil

Not heard of a C126, does it have a Kohler K series engine?

I had problems with the starter on my 73 C120 Raider 12. Could not get parts in UK.

Then I found this   https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/simon-auto selling this  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anlasser-12V-fur-Kohler-Motoren-K211-K301-K321-K341-/400889709395?hash=item5d56e38353

Ordered one (it come from Germany) arrived very quickly. Had it a couple of years now and my WH does a lot of work. Absolutely perfect. Not quiute identical to the old one but unless you're into shows does it matter, the beast starts!

BTW for belts I use http://www.beltingonline.com/  excellent service, the belts I've had for my WH and the Westwood have all been Continental (a la tyres), the WH ones lasted longer than the Toro belts. Easy to order but they are very helpful if you ring them. Best to have the WH part number though

Hope this helps

Keith

Kent

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Anglo Traction

Hello Neil, I've been inside a few of these Starters also, so you're probably familiar with what I covered in this LINK.

I still have it as a spare, but was promised to someone, but not sure if they still want it?. I'll check with them.

I also imported a new aftermarket one several years ago for my c-120 when it was still reasonable shipping rates, but still cost me about UK£80 !.

If you buy new, just check what version you have and the number of Teeth on the Bendix.  

• Like 3

Neil2322

Massive thank's to everyone who took the time to reply to my post and all of the useful links. It has given me quite a few options so when it eventually stops raining i'll get it stripped out and let you know how it goes.

All the best

Neil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Skipper

Hi Neil

I may have a few extra starters laying around. I'm in Denmark, so no biggie to send it over. Just let me know if the need arises. :-)

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Neil2322

Hi Skipper, thanks for the offer, this really is a great forum site!

I'm going to be striping it down this weekend so I'll let you know if I need to take up your kind offer.

All the best

Neil 

• Like 1