Bach-Ed

Be a community help

Bach-Ed

I am active with a couple of food banks and many of those are connected to community gardens.  Red Square members like their seat time.  So if you have a plow, tiller and later on a cultivator find one of these gardens and offer to help.  There are people who need food and fresh produce is a real gift.  And you meet some nice people in the process of doing some good.

• Like 9

ebinmaine

A great suggestion and thank you for doing that!

ClassicTractorProfessor

That is a great idea, we do not have any community gardens around here, but I have been thinking the past few months about planting a large garden at my shop and giving the produce to the less fortunate, just need to find maybe one more person who can help out with it, as my work schedule doesn't always leave me with a lot of spare time in the daylight hours. Would love to see more people do this, the satisfaction of knowing you're helping people in need, plus the added seat time, is a win-win situation

Bach-Ed

Bryce I suggest contacting a local church.  Perhaps a high school age youth group would be willing to pitch in.  These things start small and sometimes grow.  My church started a food pantry with just three people.  The last I checked we give away about 100 tons of food a year and involve hundreds of people.   Most of our food comes through a food bank but part of the church's lawn is now a garden instead of grass.  The local community college gave us some land to use and that is used to produce food.  Our pantry has a web site wesleypantry.org if you would like to see what can happen.  You can see our small garden at https://www.faithinplace.org/news/groundbreaking-garden

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

Great topic and great idea!

Just another thought...My :wh: spends some of its time helping out at a local Shrine / Chapel with the outdoor chores...I go along for the ride and help out too...:)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• robertsonchris06@gmail.co
      By robertsonchris06@gmail.co
      After using my 8-25 mower successfully for several years I noticed the belts were very worn. I replaced the belts and used the mower several mowings this past summer with no problems until as I was mowing the last time the mower would not move in any gear. After stopping and inspecting the traction belt it was almost completely destroyed. Prior to this I had noticed that the engage/disengage lever was getting hard to activate (very stiff). Has anyone had a similar thing happen?
      Thanks in advance for any help on this problem.
      Just want to keep my mower running.
      Chris
    • MachXXII
      By MachXXII
      I’m trying to restore my grandfathers old 252-H to use around my property. The tires are shot and the rims aren’t too far behind. Anyone have any recommendations for rims and tires that would fit well on it? 

right now it has 22 x 7.50 - 12 on the back and 15 x 6 - 6 on the front.
    • 87buickt
      By 87buickt
      Newb here, recently purchased a b310 that now runs with snow thrower, plow, and mower deck for what I believe to be a good deal for $200. My question to all y’all gurus is what am I missing for my snow thrower attachment? I’d like to get it squared away before winter I know I’m going to need a belt and chain any help would be greatly appreciated. 

• Redcube
      By Redcube
      I need help Identifying my wheelhorse tractor model number 105109 I don't know how to read it
    • Samone
      By Samone
      I recently acquired a 520xi. She's a pretty sweet machine and I took a liking to her before she landed in my garage. I've used her a few times this spring to haul some brush around in her trailer. 
         As the grass grew taller, however, I knew it was time to put the deck on her and start mowing. Note: this is my first wheelhorse, and also this was the first time I'd mown with her. Anyway, I did about half an hour of mowing (about half of my lawn), having turned her pto on and off a few times for various reasons, when at some point I turned the pto off to back out from between the dead-end swath between 2 trees I had just mown. I backed out, turned around, lined myself up to get back on track with the mowing, pulled the pto knob, and....nothing. Or so I thought at first.
         There is a quiet, though definitely present sound whenever I pull the pto knob on. At first I thought the blades might be stuck or something and the drive belt was sliding on the pto pulley. After some inspection, I found it wasnt. I prooved it wasn't by taking the drive belt off the pto and trying to turn the pto on. I still hear that same sound and the engine acts slightly stressed when I turn the pto on.
         One last thing. I turned the engine off, took the front grill off the tractor and tried to turn the pto pulley. It moves but is stopped by some kind of what looks like a safety stop (a bar on the pulley hitting a bar in the way). 
         Anyway, this is where I'm at. If anyone knows or has any idea why what's happening is happening and/or how to fix it Id appreciate it very much.