mikeeyre74

PTO bell size?

mikeeyre74

I just picked up a 1968 or 1969 charger 12. This has the old-fashioned PTO engagement “torsion bar“ set up on it, which is different than everything else I have made in the 70s and newer.  In looking at the PTO clutch bell, it looks like it’s a smaller diameter unit then the ones on all of my other tractors… This wouldn’t concert me much if the Charger had come with an engine and everything all complete, but it didn’t. I have an engine already mounted in the frame that I pulled from another machine, but, the torsion bar rod  has to slot into the end of the PTO bell and get held in by a nut and bolt or something… Which is different then the set ups on the newer tractors. 

With all of that said, my concern is that I just don’t have the smaller diameter clutch disk. Can the end piece where the torsion bar attaches to the PTO bell (where it spins in the needle bearings) be swapped onto a newer PTO bell that has the larger diameter disc, of which I have plenty? 

oldredrider

Quick answer; yes. 

• Like 2

mikeeyre74

Quick reply: thank goodness!

• Like 1

Sarge

As long as you have or can find the clutch rod for the engine block - the answer is yes and I believe there is one with a higher offset bend in it to accomdate the larger clutch disk off the K-341-16hp engine used in the 16Auto models. Due to the higher torque, these required a larger clutch to handle the power transfer to a deck or the snow blowers.

Sarge

mikeeyre74

I think I have everything except the correct size clutch disc. But if they’re swappable on the needlebearing end I should be OK with the rest of the stuff I have. Still gotta sort that out when I get a moment...