bmsgaffer

Big Tires on 854

bmsgaffer

Hey everyone! Been just lurking for a few months as life got busy (and cold!). I am looking to make a "spring machine" out of one of my 854's. My yard (as most everyones) turns to a swamp this time of year, and I am looking to make a tractor that will just float on top. My 522xi, which has big tires, definately does NOT float coming in around 1100lbs without weights. I think the 854 is closer to 450lbs dry, and so if I can give it a super wide footprint it will do a lot less damage to the turf. 

I know i can throw some 23x10.5-12's on the back of it with the set of rims I have, but I am wondering about the fronts. Has anyone put larger tires on the front spindles? Probably looking like 16x7.5-8 or so (the standard ones for the bigger machines). 

Will I need bigger spindles? Is that too much tire for the steering components?

I will be pulling a sweeper, roller, spreader, trailer, etc...

Thanks for the help!

stevebo

I passed this machine onto another member here but here was my 854 with big tires out back. I loved the look!

IMG_5491.JPG

IMG_5497.JPG

IMG_5499.JPG

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

bmsgaffer

@stevebo I agree. I love the look! With tires that wide it will be softer than walkin on the grass. Now if I can just figure out the fronts!

I can decide if I am going with Turfs or another set of my TerraTrac K502s that I am running on my 522xi. 

stevebo

Brandon-

The rears are off a 520 with 10.50's. The fronts I love the look of the tri ribs. I have 4.80 and 3.50's on other machines. I like the look of the 3.50's 

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

You should be able to use any of the wider 8" wheels off of later models for the front end. They use the same 3/4" spindle and should just swap over. 

Randy

• Like 1

bmsgaffer
Just now, RandyLittrell said:

You should be able to use any of the wider 8" wheels off of later models for the front end. They use the same 3/4" spindle and should just swap over. 

Randy

I had not yet measured, so I wasn't sure if the spindles were longer or not on the later models. That is helpful, thank you!

RandyLittrell

Here is a pic of my C-120 for example. 

KIMG0324.JPG

• Like 1

RandyLittrell
4 minutes ago, bmsgaffer said:

I had not yet measured, so I wasn't sure if the spindles were longer or not on the later models. That is helpful, thank you!

I believe they may attach in a different manner, but the hub of the wheel itself, should be the same. 

The wheels from my cub cadet will even work. 

Randy

AMC RULES

:dunno: Ever see this...

start about the 9:50 mark here. 

• Like 1

bmsgaffer
37 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

:dunno: Ever see this...

start about the 9:50 mark here. 

I had not seen that before! (i usually avoid the mud mower videos as they are sometimes painful to watch!)

For a mud mower, he did an alright job though.... Still hurts...

Thanks!

slim67
15 hours ago, bmsgaffer said:

Hey everyone! Been just lurking for a few months as life got busy (and cold!). I am looking to make a "spring machine" out of one of my 854's. My yard (as most everyones) turns to a swamp this time of year, and I am looking to make a tractor that will just float on top. My 522xi, which has big tires, definately does NOT float coming in around 1100lbs without weights. I think the 854 is closer to 450lbs dry, and so if I can give it a super wide footprint it will do a lot less damage to the turf. 

I know i can throw some 23x10.5-12's on the back of it with the set of rims I have, but I am wondering about the fronts. Has anyone put larger tires on the front spindles? Probably looking like 16x7.5-8 or so (the standard ones for the bigger machines). 

Will I need bigger spindles? Is that too much tire for the steering components?

I will be pulling a sweeper, roller, spreader, trailer, etc...

Thanks for the help!

18 x 8.50-8s are what your looking for. Thats the size golf carts run. The spindles should be fine.

Herder
On Monday, April 02, 2018 at 2:54 PM, stevebo said:

I passed this machine onto another member here but here was my 854 with big tires out back. I loved the look!

IMG_5491.JPG

IMG_5497.JPG

IMG_5499.JPG

Looks awesome!!!!!