WH Believer

Help! First time buyer C-121

Sarge

The white smoke and knock can go together, if the valve guides are getting worn or no one has ever set the valve clearance there's a good chance it's put a lot of carbon on top of the piston. Carbon buildup, over time will cause hot spots on the piston and in the cylinder head - leading to pre-ignition knock. The buildup can get spots in it hot enough to fire off the fuel before top dead center, it's trying to force the piston back down on the compression stroke.

Generally, removng the head, de-carbon the piston/head chamber and set the valves will do the trick. If it's left in that condition and ran for a lot of hours it can start to damage the rod/crank, leading to a rod failure. If the rod does fail, as long as it doesn't blow out the engine block it's still easily rebuilt. The K series Kohler is a highly sought engine for it's known longevity - no reason one can't run and work heavily for 30+yrs, be rebuilt and do it all over again.  No other small engine can really make that claim other than the cast iron K.

It's not that expensive to rebuld that engine compared to others. Yes, genuine Kohler parts are expensive, but you get what you pay for in lifespan and quality. I have an old school authorized rebuilder nearby, $500 if no damage to the crank and all genuine parts - his rebuilds will last as long as the original or more easily. Even for a first time diy project, you only need a machine shop to do the bore work/ring fitting and maybe grind the valves - the rest you could handle with some help from this forum. Honestly, that C probably just needs a bit of love and it may have a lot more life left in it yet.

That little Briggs powered thing is not a garden tractor, it's just a simple lawn mower - even with light use it's never going to last as long as that C series . I personally would not buy anything with a vertical shaft engine - they do not last very long compared to the standard horizontal shaft versions. The I/C line from Briggs was pretty good, but still , compared to the Kohler K - it's not much more than a papeweight.

Sarge

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

mikeeyre74

That “rod knock” could be balance gears ready to let go or happily rattle for years, as mine have done, or it could be the famous “Kohler timing knock” which can be cured with a good points adjustment. These days, I’m no longer scared by a noisy K series unless the pieces are already flying off of it. I’d go give it another look with your “smart engine friend” and get a second opinion. 

• Excellent 1

ClassicTractorProfessor
5 hours ago, mikeeyre74 said:

unless the pieces are already flying off of it.

That's a scary situation when pieces start flying off of it, ask me how I know :lol: I've gotten now to where I can laugh about it some, but it wasn't funny when it happened almost two years ago

1277 Blown Engine.jpg

1277 Blown Engine2.jpg

1277 Blown Engine3.jpg

• Excellent 1
  • Sad 1

mikeeyre74

Yeah, been there and done that. But it was a Briggs! 😝

• Like 1

Sarge

I can weld that back together, at least the block, anyway. Rod, not so much...lol.

The "Kohler knock" is generally just timing, but you have to know the difference in sound. My K-301 knocks like crazy from it's balance gears and timing, plus age. One of my K-341's, it's the rod coming loose....has a gutteral, hollow knock that is distinctive of a steel rod becoming egg shaped. That's when they come apart, and why that engine is out of service - the 301 will keep on running for years. Just takes an educated ear, find an older gear head that has blown up his share of engines over the years with you - they will know...

Sarge

Tuneup

Then there is the other source of knock - forgetting to torque the flywheel. Kinda' suggests that I didn't check any other bolts but I checked them twice - really! I second the others above. You can keep the Ks running forever - pull the head and clean the carbon, adjust valve clearance and verify the timing....but you do need something running from the start that you can trust. Tough decision -  Good Luck!

ericj

I bought a 73 12 AUTO one time that had a big unnatural vent hole right were the starter would have been, starter was gone when i bought it, I thought that the rod let loose and put the hole in the block. Then one day when I was looking at the mess I realized the the base of the rod was still on the crank. Had my friend who did my motor work at the time take a look at it. He found the balance gears broke and blew the hole in the block. I actually reused the crank in another motor. So be careful of those knocking balance gears and rods. every motor I ever had rebuilt I had those balance gears removed. good luck. I agree that stay away from the vertical crankshaft mowers unless you only want to use it as a mower.

eric j   

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• PWL216
      By PWL216
      About a year ago I bought a C-121 auto with the intention of using it as my go-to mower. Shortly thereafter I got a great deal on a low hour 314-8.  It ran perfect and had several attachments - it became my new go-to mower.  So, I decided to repurpose the 121 to be a front end loader. After purchasing the build plans from P.F Engineering (which are excellent), I realized I couldn’t build it for less than $2k in material. I decided to look for a used one and found a Thompson TC10 local to me, mounted on an “end of life” 1077, for $1,000.  The loader swap itself was pretty straight forward. The only modifications needed were drilling a couple of mounting holes in the tractor frame, grinding away a little of the loader top frame so the hood opened/closed and welding in a new hydraulic pump mount. I have a few things to button up still and the bucket itself needs attention but it’s fully functional. I also bought a pair of clamp-on pallet forks.

I also did a “refresh” of the 121. The total project cost is shown below. Roughly $2,300, with just the FEL itself being around $1,300. 

Tractor
      C-121 Auto $500
      Solid engine mounts $50

Front End Loader
      Johnson 10TC $1,000
      Hydraulic fluid $35
      Spare hydraulic hose $40

Ignition
      Battery $35
      Battery cables $20
      Points & Condenser $20

Fuel
      Carb & Gasket $65
      Electric fuel pump $60 (later removed)
      Air filter $10
      Fuel filter $15
      Fuel line $10
      Spark plug $5

Decals and Paint
      Decals $115
      Paint $30

Lights
      Headlight Lens $45
      LED Headlights $25
      Rear lights $25

Misc $200

• Baxtercr
      By Baxtercr
      Great condition C-121 for sale.   if any ones interested lets dm.    I'm based in North Yorkshire near Harrogate

• Christof421
      By Christof421
      Hello, I recently purchased a single stage snowblower attachment for my C-121.  Currently going through my first storm with it.   Made some passes down the driveway and blower was blowing a bit of snow backwards under the tractor.   Snow is very fine and light snow.   Wondering if anyone else has experienced this or has suggestions on remidies.  
    • ohiofarmer
      By ohiofarmer
      I found a standout looking C-121 . i found it on FBmarketplace, but those guys had it blocked for replying to the owner.  Ask price was only 220 and after i took the chance with screwing up my life on the computer, Facebook would not let me talk to the owner because it was too new. what FB wants is for you to hang out for a while and post.  My buddy jay was corrupted by me to get into old Honda motorcycles, so I had him do the contact and used me as an additional phone number.

The owner texted me last night with permission to call him. he got an offer to buy while i was enroute to look, and since i texted him i was on the road, he waited for me. It is a one owner,bought for a project with the second owner deciding that the project might take longer than hoped. it's an eight speed that is putting a fine mist of oil inside the hood, so at least a head gasket or possibly a ring job, but it runs and is all there with a 38"' RD deck in great shape. No piccs yet as we are picking it up later this week. Gave him the money and he gave me a bill of sale. Farmer to farmer is why we came to that agreement

It came up in conversation that we are both farmers, and it does make a difference that we would rather sell to each other than having random ppl from town casing our places for gas tanks to steal from and stuff like that.. Anyway, Jay needs to get away from green/yellow.   
    • meadowfield
      By meadowfield
      ***warning long thread alert with lots of pictures and videos***

I don't post as much as I should, despite 3 horses regularly earning their keep round here - all have had build threads. So this seems no different

At the 2015 UK Wheel Horse round up, I bought a C-121 from a friends son. He had half stripped it... lost bits, sandblasted some - lost faith.

£50 was a steal... $75 to you guys in the US.

We've moved house and pushed this thing around for 5 years and decided we need a regular Horse that the snow blower, plows and tiller will fit - this seemed the most apt one out of the GT14, Commando 8, Lawn Ranger and C-160 auto parked next to it to resurrect

Looking under the hood... theres no wiring or cables for throttle and choke. But engine looks intact.... turning the pulley however it sounds pretty grim, something scraping!

So first thing pop the drive pulley in case it is scraping

nope not that... so pull the flywheel...

ahhh that'll make a noise!

out with the epoxy...

that should do it

Next to strip carb and fuel pump...  no pics of cleaning them - pump was full of white corrosion - carb was remarkably clean

I can tell it was spent a long time outdoor by looking at the blower housing

repairable, but I've got better things to do...

Before torquing the flywheel I checked if there was any oil - I think there was a drop on the dipstick, so very low.

Poured a quart in...  doh!

someone had snapped the remote drain off...  

So weld a 3/8 bolt into the remaining piece and use a fibre washer!   fixed!

So let's balance a coil and condenser on the top with a 12V battery and see if we can get a spark.

Nothing - pull points cover and points look like fuel pump, all rusted up and contacts not good!  quick clean and emery cloth, setting the gap to 0.05mm (we are metric here in the UK - plus I don't have any imperial feelers  )

Turn the flywheel and a spark

Whats the chances now if we dangle a fuel pipe in a jerry can and jump the starter?

IMG_1230.MOV

Started and ticks over nicely, used the basic 2-1/2 turns on both needles and it runs pretty well - I never fail to jump on the backfires, will run better with a muffler!  Daren't run too long without the blower housing too!!!

Join us tomorrow for the next exciting instalment