WH Believer

Help! First time buyer C-121

WH Believer

I have wanted a good garden tractor for what seems like forever. Having moved into 1.24 acre yard I finally have a decent excuse. I have found a C-121 nearby on CL and they are asking $350. They claim it runs and cuts well while the pics seem to show a machine in decent shape. Having an abundance of zeal but minimum knowledge I come to the pros. I was wondering if a tractor this old was would likely leave me in the lurch but seeing the many machines you post on here still working after 50+ years speaks for itself! What should I look for if i get a chance to check it out? What in your minds would prevent the purchase? Bear in mind that while I would love to do a full restoration I don't have the time or resources for it now. I need to be able to get working with minimal wrench time. Does the support structure exist to find parts if something breaks?

I have always been drawn to older machines (cars, motorcycles, anything that was built to last) and have fallen in love with the look and legacy of the Wheel Horse. Help me avoid an ignorant purchase that would spoil the fun.  Thanks

Here's the CL link if it helps (don't scoop me now): 

• Like 4

953 nut

:WRS:         That looks like a great buy for $ 350. The engine may have been replaced with a new one which is a good thing. The 8 speed transmission and Kohler engine are both wonderful and very dependable. If it runs and drives well you can't go wrong on that one.

I copied the photo and information on the listing for you because we are not supposed to post links to CL.

wheel horse c-121 garden tractor, 12hp kohler k-301 big block engine, 8 speed transmission with hi-lo gears, 36 inch rear discharge deck, runs and cuts good, $350 please CALL

00S0S_7UYt4DRacaH_1200x900.jpg

• Like 5

RandyLittrell

:text-yeahthat:   I agree with 953 and you should get your cash and go. Good deals don't hang around long. Go fire it up, listen to the motor, listen to the deck, take it home!! 

Randy

WH Believer

Thanks for the quick responses and sorry the CL link. First lesson for the forum and of course I learn it the hard way!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

jellyghost

I have seen that one on CL too.  I think you are looking at the correct era of WH tractor to maximize value.  That tractor has the most available attachments, and I think the C series w/ Kohler motors are probably the most all round dependable.  

Racinbob

:WRS:

No biggie on the link. If he accurate with the description you can't go wrong. Get it, use it and you've come to the right place for help with any little bugs you may find. Most of us here would jump on that in a heartbeat. :)

• Like 1

varosd

like Richard stated: looks like Kohler replacement motor? as they were painted gray.  gearshift looks like Cue ball?  36" Rear discharge deck.  seat was replaced at some time.  choke cable looks wankkee?!!

Go buy it!  it looks like a keeper for the amount they are asking!

check the fluids.  make sure the 8 speed tranny is not full of water. etc  etc

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

If it starts and runs with no strange noises, and the deck is functional then by all means jump on it for $350. You won't find a better garden tractor out there than the Wheel Horse, and the C-Series are some of the best, parts are easy to find, and you have found a great group of guys here who can answer any questions you may have. That 12 HP K301 is one of the most dependable long lasting engines you will find, and will handle most anything you throw at it with ease. Oh and by the way :WRS:

KC9KAS

@WH Believer Looks like a fine machine. And, :WRS:

Achto

:text-welcomeconfetti:to:rs:

jay bee

@WH Believer It is now 7 hours since you first posted.  I hope that horse is in your barn.  And :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

WH Believer

Thanks for the opinions. I plan on contacting the seller first thing tomorrow and seeing it pronto. I’m somewhat mechanically inclined so a basic inspection (rust, smoking weird noises etc.) shouldn’t be outside my capabilities. Any particular gremlins I should look out for? Meanwhile I’m digging around the references section to study up a bit. Thanks again all.

oliver2-44

Check if the rubber boot is in good shape at the base of the gear shift. If not ask if it was stored inside or outside  Rub it a check transmission oil If it's black or brown OK just needs a change. If it's creamy white/grey there's some water in transmission  If the transmission isn't mating odd noises may still be OK but a little risky so that would be a price negotiating point

Notice if the engine starts good. Or if it gives a puff of white or grey smoke at startup. That could indicate rings or valves down the line. If it starts with a puff of black smoke and clears up it probable needs a carb adjustment or cleaning running rich 

Sarge

One thing I've learned with the older splash lube Kohler engines on any machine that is being sold is to determine what property it was used on - if the seller used it on their land and it has hills or a deep ditch line it brings up a red flag - especially when the engine has been replaced. Kohler splash lube K series engines are rated for no more than 25* of operating angle, if it's been ran much on a side hill it may have starved the connecting rod - perhaps the reason for the Kohler replacement. Keep an open mind (and eye) and listen carefully when it's first started as well as at full temperature at both idle and mid-throttle for any knocking sounds.

Knocking can be from a worn/starved rod, incorrect timing and even some valve settinig issues. There are parts available to repair it , but they get expensive quickly. As the others said, the C-series was super reliable and one of the most versatile of all the various models - parts are plentiful as well. That K-301 12hp can handle up to a 48" deck if the grass isn't too thick, a standard 42" is about ideal for that C-120.

Sarge

WH Believer

I'm heading over to take a look in an hour and I'll keep an eye for those issues. The seller says the motor mounts are a bit worn, are these expensive to replace? I'll dig around the vendor links before heading over.

• Like 1

c-series don

You are going to love it. You can also find a 48" side discharge mower deck relatively easy for that tractor if you have that much grass to mow. Here are two of the eight C-Series that I have.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Racinbob
6 hours ago, WH Believer said:

I'm heading over to take a look in an hour and I'll keep an eye for those issues. The seller says the motor mounts are a bit worn, are these expensive to replace? I'll dig around the vendor links before heading over.

I can't find the link but there's somebody that makes solid mounts to replace the rubber mounts on that wobble mount. I would definitely do that. There's a reason Wheel Horse didn't use that mounting system very long. They aren't difficult to make either.

Don't hesitate to slap a 48" deck on it. Plenty of power. My Dad mowed more acreage than most and at times tall thick stuff with a 48 on a Raider 12, I did the same with a 48 on a GT1100 (11hp Briggs). I also had a 48 on a 16 hp. The difference in the way they handled it was minimal. :)

Racinbob

Now that's a sweet pair of C-s Don :handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

dells68

:icecream:Any news yet?  I'm sitting here waiting!!!

• Haha 1

RandyLittrell
1 hour ago, dells68 said:

:icecream:Any news yet?  I'm sitting here waiting!!!

Me too, I am off work with my back and have no funds right now, so I have to live vicariously through others!!

Randy

WH Believer

The search ends in disappointment with a little hope mixed in. As soon as I saw it I wanted it something fierce. Just enough of a patina to let you know it wasn't afraid of work. The first sign that things might not go well is that he had it running when I arrived so I couldn't cold start it though he "promised" it starts fine cold. The second sign was that as we talked he pushed the throttle up from idle to full open the first time before the engine was fully warm and a puff of white-ish smoke emitted from the exhaust. Seemed to run decent and the deck didn't make any sounds then I pulled the tranny dipstick and found that it was bent back on itself in a continuous tight radius and the end was chewed up a bit. I straightened it out and shoved it back in where it seemed to fit and the oil that came out was mostly sludge as expected but it seemed to have the beginnings of the milky water color turn. I noted that it was stored outside and had just been snowed on. Also I wasn't sure if the stick  was damaged while on the outside of the machine or in and the guy swore I was the first to pull it in years. Made me question if someone had monkeyed with the tranny a bit especially since he mentioned he and his neighbor had toyed around with the idea of turning it into a puller, but that is all speculation. I drove it up and down the street everything seemed tight until i noticed the knock from the motor.   

Couldn't hear it at idle but from mid to high RPM the tick/knock was audible. I am not knowledgeable enough in these motors to distinguish between a valve clank and a rod knock but the noise was there. Oil was present in the motor though ancient and not enough, just below the hash mark. Considering that I want the machine I buy to be my weekly (daily? :lol:) use machine and don't have the resources to get bogged down in any major repair at the moment I couldn't pull the trigger with unanswered engine questions. I'm sure one of you fellas could have nailed the problem down complete with cost estimate but I just don't have the noggin' for prognostication to that degree especially with Sarge's warning about potential knock repair costs. It took me a solid half hour to talk myself out of buying it. 

Did I overact and walk away from a good Horse?

The hope arose when I realized that seeing one in person gave my a bite from the same bug! :greetings-clappingyellow: She spotted a 1980 WH on Facebook in the area. It's a different model so I'm back to square one. Here's the info (without and external link this time Mr. Moderator :rolleyes:

1980 Wheelhorse, 11hp Briggs & Stratton Engine, 30" cut, runs good, $350 OBO

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Sorry about the spoilers i can't figure how to get them off and my brain has disengaged for the evening.

Spoiler
Spoiler

WH side.jpg

WH rear.jpg

WH hood up.jpg

WH engine.jpg

WH id.jpg

dells68

Personally, ID much rather wager on the C121, but then again, I know that @oldredrider Would help me get her tip top with the Kohler.  I'm just not much on the vertical shaft mowers, especially those later model machines.  The C121 has lots of attachments available and will hold its value much better.  Just my :twocents-02cents:!

• Like 1

c-series don

I would not buy that toy 211 lawn mower. That is not a garden tractor capable of handling many different attachments like a C-series tractor. I would wait for a decent c or 3-400 series tractor to come along. 

• Like 1

oliver2-44

You did good walking away, the right one will come along

• Like 1