tims tractors

55 RJ. Rebuild

tims tractors

I need to know what type of paint was used. What was painted what was not. I took my gas tank off it shows no signs of paint at all. I want this to look like it did in 55 if does not look so good so be it. No 2 part paint no primer it's going to be the way it was.  Any help or info would be great. Tim.  I'm sure alot of you guys have tore down an old one. Did you notice anything you thought was odd but original is the steering shaft painted?  Tim. There is just too many shiny over restored tractor. We are getting away from what they were work machines not show machines.  To each his own. Tim

Edited by tims tractors
It. Needed it
  • Confused 1

stevebo

This is my restored 55'. I think you will find it is pretty close to original. I had to restore it as it was brush painted with red oxide primer when I bought it. I have since replaced the front tires with correct 55' front tires. 

IMG_3827.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

AMC RULES

WE WANT ...

Related image

PICTURES!

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Haha 4

tims tractors
10 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

WE WANT ...

Related image

PICTURES!

Every time I do nobody says a word

• Sad 1

953 nut
19 hours ago, tims tractors said:

I need to know what type of paint was used. What was painted what was not. I took my gas tank off it shows no signs of paint at all. I want this to look like it did in 55 if does not look so good so be it. No 2 part paint no primer it's going to be the way it was.  Any help or info would be great. Tim

In 1955 the paint that was used was Lead Based paint. You will have to do what the rest of us do, use the Acrylic Enamels which are used widely today.           :confusion-confused:        As for color, pick out the RED that you like, lots of shades and lots of opinions.

As to what was and wasn't painted when it left the factory in 1955, who knows for certain? I doubt that anyone on this site worked at the South Dixie Way :wh: factory in 1955 and most vintage photos don't show that kind of detail.

One thing for sure, if you want to stir up a hornets nest around here just make a definitive statement about anything claiming "this is the way it was". The folks with the contrary point of view will be along any minute.         :ychain:

I would suggest that you attend the "Big Show" and talk to everyone who has a '55 RJ and take lots of    :text-coolphotos:.     Once you have developed a consistence of what is and isn't right for your :wh: you can feel good about the research you did. The important thing is that you enjoy the people you will meet while there. Aftreall, that is what it is all about.

• Like 6

AMC RULES

Most original example I've ever seen. 

• Like 5

953 nut
21 hours ago, tims tractors said:

took my gas tank off it shows no signs of paint at all.

5 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Most original example I've ever seen. 

I saw some red paint on that fuel tank!

WHX??

There is another member here @joebob here that has an original too but you won't learn much from pictures of his  as it looks like the one in Vin's vid.

I think what @953 nut is trying to say is just get it close as ther is no true way of knowing what it looked like when the 1st PO took onwership. You have to understand that in  the day tanks or what not may have went thru unpainted because they needed to ship tractors and were not willing to wait for holdups such as non painted parts. Good luck Tim and we WILL like pics!

• Like 1

tims tractors

Any red paint on mine was slopped  on with a brush durnig some repainting. Tim.    

• Sad 1