boovuc

42" Side Discharge Spindle bearings

boovuc

I tried for half an hour searching the site but couldn't come up with a definitive bearing number/cross reference for my older 42" C-Series/300 Series mower decks. The one deck is a model "0542MS02". The other one is older so I'll assume it's a "0542MS01" model.

Both need LH/RH spindle bearings top and bottom.

I think the original WH numbers for both were 106084 and 106085 but I can't find a cross reference for a NAPA or Timken bearing(s) for them.

Can I get a little help on the replacement numbers for these so I can cross reference them at NAPA?

Thank in Advance, Guys!

gwest_ca

Toro bearing 106084 I believe is a 6203-RS 3/4" with no seals for the bottom. OD is 40mm, ID is 3/4"

Toro bearing 106085 I believe is a 6203-3/4" with one seal for the top. OD is 40mm, ID is 3/4"

Often the bearings are less expensive with 2 seals and you can remove the seals as necessary.

Garry

• Like 2

boovuc

Thanks, Garry.

Steady as always here I see. I sure do appreciate it!

:)

• Like 1

peter lena

wheel horse spindle bearings are replaced with bearing # 6203-2 RS. when ever you are trying to solve a bearing or belt issue, the best thing you can do is go to a  " local bearing distributor  ", probably in an industrial service area for maintenance.  bearing cost is about $ 7 each , not $ 30 . pick up a 6 pack for , 36 $  . besides being a hands on  place ,you can see and touch what you are buying, they will also be able to fit you with the exact belts you need. doing this will help your frustration with trying to find vital parts. been there done that, pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi

Before you buy any bearings measure the shaft they will be on.  WH  changed things up years ago some deck spindles used 3/4" shaft some went  with 17 mm.  The 3/4 inch used 62032RS-12 bearings (3/4" shaft 40mm OD).  the 17mm shaft spindles use 6203RS  17mm bore 40mm OD.   After all tehese years you can never be sure what has been swapped out...

• Like 2

TDF5G
On 4/1/2018 at 2:53 PM, pfrederi said:

Before you buy any bearings measure the shaft they will be on.  WH  changed things up years ago some deck spindles used 3/4" shaft some went  with 17 mm.  The 3/4 inch used 62032RS-12 bearings (3/4" shaft 40mm OD).  the 17mm shaft spindles use 6203RS  17mm bore 40mm OD.   After all tehese years you can never be sure what has been swapped out...

That is correct.  I just rebuilt 3 different spindles all on the same deck. 

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 1

Goldnboy

Thanks for the info i am waiting on pto stub and bearings, before I look into the engine pulley suggestion. The pto stub spring was in pieces on my machine. As for the deck bearings i have the old 3/4 d style. I am going to keep it old style at least try ( i put jb weld on the castings where it had oxidized out some to add strength) for now with all new bearings, otherwise i am thinking about converting a cheap 3 blade jd deck to work.

123GO

Good to know that Toro used different size shaft/bearings on these decks. Big thank you for pointing this out, it's much appreciated because I never saw anything about these changes noted in any of the parts breakdowns yet. I do see alternate parts diagrams showing its shaft changed with larger hexagon nut but nothing is noted on the shaft/bearing diameter changing any?   We can just see on the drawings that the Hexagon nut on the shaft is quite larger?  Both shafts use the same nuts/washer/blades etc.. and both shafts state 7"x 3/4" according to the breakdowns?

Like removing some of these rusted on pulleys just wasn't enough for some people but' then having the wrong bearings on hand after the fight would sure add to the overall frustration so I'm sure several wrong size bearings have went sailing over the mountains, out into the sea over this design change..lol   Appreciated!

TDF5G
2 hours ago, 123GO said:

Good to know that Toro used different size shaft/bearings on these decks. Big thank you for pointing this out, it's much appreciated because I never saw anything about these changes noted in any of the parts breakdowns yet. I do see alternate parts diagrams showing its shaft changed with larger hexagon nut but nothing is noted on the shaft/bearing diameter changing any?   We can just see on the drawings that the Hexagon nut on the shaft is quite larger?  Both shafts use the same nuts/washer/blades etc.. and both shafts state 7"x 3/4" according to the breakdowns?

Like removing some of these rusted on pulleys just wasn't enough for some people but' then having the wrong bearings on hand after the fight would sure add to the overall frustration so I'm sure several wrong size bearings have went sailing over the mountains, out into the sea over this design change..lol   Appreciated!

There is a Spindle Identification Manual available here in the manual section.  It will help you identify exactly what spindle you have and how it's assembled.

123GO

Thanks, 

I actually found my parts breakdown online but not tore mine apart yet to see what it actually has. What one is supposed to have and really actually has may differ like mentioned. I saw a youtube video showing exactly like described here too with mix-matched spindles, wrong washers, no lock nuts/washers of any kind, just assembled all wrong etc.. Like Christmas one never can tell what present you actually got until you unwrap one in all its glory..lol  

You really have to wonder how people survived or have all limbs/digits for as long as they have looking at some of these because they can be very dangerous for everyone around them. I've seen some mower decks with blades upside down even, he ran it like that for yrs too... Its remaaaarkable...lol

Thanks

123GO

Hey folks, praying everyone here and all their loved ones make it through our pandemic. What a nightmare! 

I just rebuilt my 05-42MS02 42" SD deck I recently got off a 1981 C-105 and thankfully my spindles and housings were in good shape. I'll give a run down on what I learned to maybe help someone, very easy job btw? 

First thing I done was type deck model in this website's search box to get factory deck manuals from gwest_ca. Thank you Gary, your hard work is greatly appreciated again! You're a Godsend!

Next I got a Power Steering Pulley Puller from my local auto parts store. Most are free of charge (youtube has vids on these pullers). Don't try to remove the pulleys by pounding/prying or a basic 3 jaw pulley puller you'll easily bend these pulleys or damage your spindles, both are very costly. Just get the tool folks!  

I had 3 spindle deck bolts stripped really bad from last guy that worked on this deck so I just left spindles on deck and rebuilt them, no biggie...

All three of my spindle shafts were 3/4 diameter fwiw. After verifying all my parts I had a couple washers that were wrong on my blades, all the rest was correct but' I did have to order a couple extra parts. Center pulley bad due to a rust hole after looking down inside the lower groove (very common) and one new spacer seal part #106070 that was split in half. Somebody either over tightened the pulley or failed to get the woodruff key in correctly on the last bearing replacement, idk but' it was sure split into?  

I bought 3 new OEM Toro seals local and to avoid China bearings I took some time to do better on them. I located (2) NOS oem Toro USA made bearings still in packages on fleabay, all I found of those anywhere so I ordered (4) NSK 6203/12 ZZCM with "3/4" center diameter bearings aka: 6203/12ZZ 2Z "3/4"?  See numbers in images.. Be aware with 3/4 spindles a standard 6203 bearing is not correct because 3/4"= 19mm and a standard 6203 bearing has a 17mm center hole. These are special size bearings and is what made these bearings a little harder to locate without just buying China bearings (harder without knowing numbers at least). These NSK bearings roll super smooth and are very high quality like most Japan manufacturing usually is, the other bearings I found this size were China made including today's OEM Toro my dealer offered me. No thanks!!

Choice is yours here to run sealed bearings (last 5 yrs?) or greasable (last decades) when greased properly.  Simply keep all the shields "on" for sealed bearing and never grease them.

See images where I easily removed the metal shields with my awl where necessary to retain my decks greasable design. Just remove both shields on top bearing, just top shield on bottom bearing leaving only one bottom shield just above snap ring on it. The old original Toro bearings I got had a soft seal on one side of their lower bearing so no need to remove or change anything on either of them (softs shields come off easier btw). 

On the bearing grease seal part #106075 just under pulleys be sure not to tap that seal too far down into spindle housing. Its rim should be flush, one of mine was down inside the housing I noticed and was wore much more than other two seals. Pulley nuts torque is 80-100 ft lb. Blade nuts torque is 80-120 ft lb.

I bought new OEM Toro blades 106636 off Amazon and a Stens True Blue 248-086 belt and painted the deck, so its running quiet & smooth once again!  Thanks to all, hope it helps and please stay safe my friends!

20200517_140204_resized.jpg

20200517_142400_resized_1.jpg

Edited by 123GO
resized images, So big?
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1