tims tractors

One tuff pulley

tims tractors

I have tried everything heat alot of spray some of the mixes I've read about. And after all of that the 7 inch pulley on my 55 RJ will not move. Is there some kind of pullers I'm  missing?  I was changing clutchs rearends and transmissions when I was 13 so I am not new to this kind of work. Help. Thanks. Tim

squonk

What kind of puller are you using? How about a pic of the pulley so we can see home much room you have to work with.

wallfish
2 hours ago, tims tractors said:

Is there some kind of pullers I'm  missing?

A hydraulic press ? I'm not sure what the pulley is connected to.

Maybe take it to a local shop and they can press it off?

Make sure there isn't a second set screw below the first one too. Have found those doubled before so completely removing them is a good idea. Plus you can shoot oil into that hole directly onto the shaft which is better than letting it creep in from the edges. :twocents-02cents:

Hydraulic-press.jpg.a2bec6e63276241269d85792ab25e31a.jpg

• Like 2

953 nut

Did you try clamping a heavy piece of scrap steel to the pulley, ground an arc welder to the shaft and crank the welder up to 250 (or as high as you can) and burn a few rods onto the scrap steel. The heavy current flow through the rust will heat it because of rust's resistance to flow. once this has been done the resultant heat will allow you to melt some wax into the shaft/pulley gap as a lubricant.

• Like 4

tims tractors

Pull up any picture of a 55-56-57   and just below the seat is the pulley on a 55 it's a 7 inch the other 2 are 6 inch. Small shaft big pulley need to get clear around and in close.  Thanks Tim.  Early RJ  jack pulley

rmaynard

Other people's pictures are okay, but a picture of your pulley will be more helpful.

AMC RULES

This the one you're referring to? 

InkedIMG_5448_LI.jpg.3decff6fbd09b375e29f53d6711781e3.jpg

buckrancher

if you are going to do a complete rebuild  heat the pulley hub and shaft red hot with a torch let it cool to the touch and you should be able to use a brass drift  and drive the shaft thru the pulley

Brian

• Like 2

tims tractors
1 hour ago, rmaynard said:

Other people's pictures are okay, but a picture of your pulley will be more helpful.

How would it be more helpful. I would have to take picture get it on there. In 30 seconds you could be looking at one?

tims tractors
53 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

This the one you're referring to? 

InkedIMG_5448_LI.jpg.3decff6fbd09b375e29f53d6711781e3.jpg

Yes

rmaynard
5 minutes ago, tims tractors said:

How would it be more helpful. I would have to take picture get it on there. In 30 seconds you could be looking at one?

:scratchead: