ohiofarmer

Saving money painting tractor wheels if you use rattle can

ohiofarmer

Hey brothers. I thought that I would help you out if you prefer the use of rattle can paint from Rustoleum. I wanted to try a big project of 4 tractors --all the wheels at once. The only way I can do it in less than ideal weather is to heat both the wheel in front of an electric heater and the paint in some hot water Here is a run-down of the products i used and why I used them.

Rustoeum Professional primer just rocks! They make a red oxide and also a gray [#7582] which might be a Menard's number for $5.00. It is 15 ounces and the thing about it is it goes on thick enough that one spray coat will cover. The spray tip is larger, so you have to work fast. Leave the thin spots alone until it sets to avoid runs. I can spray a wheel dish in 30 seconds with this stuff after spraying the tire bead first.. I did  4 tractors front and rear --16 wheels with only two cans [ dishes and tire beads on the back side]

Next, the wheel paint itself. I used Rustoleum painters touch 2X Ultra Cover Satin. It is so much better than the regular paint that Rustoleum sells. It sprays thicker without so much solvent mist and does not run very easily..  Probably your best bet is to spray a full cover coat, wait 25 minutes and hit it again to bring it to a gloss.It will dry to touch in only three hours or so even in 50 degree weather The only drawback is that the full contents of the can might not spray the greatest, So use the last bits on the back side of the wheels. That may be due to my heating the full can in hot water and then not heating it again as it cooled  The satin is the stuff to use because it is run resistant to a greater degree than gloss.  I used 249076 Satin Heirloom White. I think it has that perfect off white/yellow tint like OEM, but not quite as yellow as the Almond. This paint costs less than standard Rustoleum......and the product goes twice as far. 4 to 5 cans should do 3 sets of tractor wheels.

I like a more sealed finish, so I added Rustoleum clear coat in semi-gloss. The wheel came out beautifully.  Using this method works well because i think it is worth it for small stuff or jobs like this that are stop and start. Spraying out of a gun would be out of the question in these conditions

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

AMC RULES

:wwp:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
On 3/31/2018 at 1:33 PM, ohiofarmer said:

Rustoleum painters touch 2X Ultra Cover Satin

Agreed !!

I'm using this on both my tractors.

It's my standard go-to paint for most anything.

rmaynard

My experience with rattle cans was a disaster. 15 to 20 cans to put two medium coats on a B-100. Then after 30 days it was still not fully cured. Even the slightest bump with a tool would scratch or chip the paint. Had to remove all the rattle can paint. Finally did the right thing and repainted it with acrylic urethane automotive paint. Had I started with that I would have saved a lot of money and labor. Just my :twocents-02cents:

• Excellent 1

ohiofarmer
On 3/31/2018 at 1:45 PM, AMC RULES said:

:wwp:

Pictures are coming.  !6 wheels are now primed and color coated, and i have to make the decision on whether to add one more coat to the wheel dishes on the show side. I found two more front wheels on the shelf and they are in rough shape. Gonna E-tank them and show more of that process. we lost 35 degrees off the thermometer in one day , and I think i will delay the clear coat with only one dish coated so far...

I am not trying to change the world with rattle can paint, but just trying to find the better grades [with ease of application] of paint than is stocked on most hardware store shelves. In the first sentence of the first post, i tried to make it clear that the whole idea was help for people who would be inclined to use rattle can paint as a first choice. Wheels are a contrasting color to the tractor and serve as a test bed of sorts.   This is about the only way I can figure how to paint wheels in the off season, so it will have to do. I do own three grades of paint guns and would not consider painting tractor sheet metal with rattle can, except as clear coat.

I think that I used best practices on preparation, however. 100% of rust got removed by electrolysis and then the metal was pickled with metal prep before priming

Edited by ohiofarmer

richmondred01

Not a fan of rattle cans for complete tractor but for small parts I think they are satisfactory. 

Rustoleum however does indeed takes a long time to dry especially if it’s been sitting for awhile. Also Rustoleum requires to be repainted within a hour or you have to wait 48 hours if you don’t it will peal. 

i prefer krylon rattle can paint. Also the toro paint also is very good. 

Howie

I bought some Krylon to use on my Lawn Ranger wheels and found it harder to spray than say Rustoleum used in the past.

Took a bit to get the feel for how it sprayed, results were fine once getting used to it. With the other brands just seemed to 

be a whole lot easier. Just my 2 cents!

ohiofarmer

I used some standard Rustoleum gloss implement paint to match the Ford Gray that was on the Huskee wheels. It did take forever [3 days in this cold weather] to dry and sprayed on very thin with not much yield to the paint film. I switched to the 2x in satin finish in a matching color of 'Stone Gray" and what took two days to even set up past a tacky finish on the gloss only took a couple of hours with the Rustoleum 2X Satin.

One of the wheels dropped three feet to the concrete today and did not chip, so I guess it cured out pretty good after two days. anyway, I will know a lot more after I spray on some clear and then see how it looks after the tires are mounted--that will be the real test on chipping..

WHNJ701

the key to any paint finish is in the prep work, I have restored items with either spray gun or spray paint, I have had good success with rustoleum spray paint but you can't cover large areas and yes it has to cure, I let it sit a month before reassembly, the panzer shown here is 100 rustoleum products gloss seaside and has held up to 2 kids and not scratch.  the david bradley was also done in rustoleum regal red.  I do recommend too that if use spray paint use the same manufacturer primer don't mix brands.  each part was painted individually 

20151121_142504.jpg

20160711_195126.jpg