Jake0030

Mowing deck discharge preference?

Jake0030

Thought I would start a new thread. I have always used side discharge mowers including the behemoth woods L306 without any problems. Having said that, it appears I now have the option of rear discharge. Having no experience, I imagine more clippings and dirt ending up on the body/underside of the Wheel horse if rear discharge  were used. Please, some one school me on this? Which do you prefer, side or rear discharge and why?

peter lena

been using r/d deck 36 years, terrific cutting and great for tight spots, picked up a s/d deck at a swap meet, rebuilt spindles, new blades, works very well, but I still like the cleaner look the r/d deck leaves on the lawn. from what I am seeing people are not using the proper pto drive belt from one deck to another , on my c85 the difference is 4.2 "  from side discharge to rear discharge. I always get the pto belt about 1" shorter allowing me to stay on the low end of the mule drive adjustment. that belt drive must be taught to bring mower deck spindles up to speed , or you will have  a poor cut either way. I have 3 mule drives set up and marked  to use between my c85 and a 312- 8 .  I prefer the r/d deck , I think it gives a better, cleaner finished look to my lawn with no sweeping. no matter what you get make a habit of regularly dropping the deck  for cleaning underside / I like to oil spray it at this time to feed the metal and kill of the grunge. leave it upside down in the sun to get hot and suck in that oil, grease spindles , your deck will live on . Pete

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

clueless

RD-:handgestures-thumbupright:

doc724

I use both.  SD will disperse the clippings, RD will lay them down and then you will have to pick them up or the Mrs. will be on your case.  With RD, you do get a lot of grass on top of the transaxle tunnel (but under the shift plate).  No so an a SD deck. 

RD do not cut well if the grass is tall.  You could try using high lift blades, it may improve.  SD always use high lift, RD low lift (but I am sure high lift will work just fine)

Due to the nature of mowing, I prefer to NOT use a SD with an Onan powered tractor.  The left front wheel will kick up the clippings and then they get plastered all over the engine air intake.  The same problem will occur with a Kohler engine, but the intakes are smaller, the old Kohlers are cast iron, and if you need to rebuild it because the fins got plugged, parts are available.

Advantages and disadvantages to both and everyone has their favorite

• Thanks 1

Jake0030

Thanks for the info!

Ed Kennell

I like the SD in the spring when the grass is heavy.   I windrow it with the SD and then sweep it up.

Later in the summer when the grass grows slower, I use the RD and let it lay.  If I only had one deck, I would want the SD.

Like Doc says, The Onans suck too much grass into the air intake.  And IMO, they throw too much heat to use for mowing .  I dedicate my twins to winter use.....snow blowing and plowing.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 2

953 nut

When I went from a side discharge to rear discharge I noticed the RD is not plugging the flywheel screen up like the SD did. Also, with the RD you aren't throwing clippings into mulched areas and stone walks.

Side discharge for me!

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Side discharge - came with the tractor so that's what I use. Works like a charm...

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

Jake0030

Well, got a great deal on a side discharge 42" Deck. Only one question. It is missing the chute attachment, but every video and many pictures I see online have the chute attachment bungied to keep it as high as possible as if the owner wished the chute attachment wasn't there at all. Can I get some feed back from side discharge deck owners who can explain why I am seeing this? Thanks.

Ed Kennell

The 42" SD is the perfect deck for your tractor.     Most deflectors are removed or bungeed up for better clipping dispersal.   Down if you windrow and sweep the clippings.

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

The 42" SD is the perfect deck for your tractor.     Most deflectors are removed or bungeed up for better clipping dispersal.   Down if you windrow and sweep the clippings.

:text-yeahthat:

Have never used my deflector. Gets in the way and seems to "find" tree trunks and flowers... 

• Like 1

Jake0030

Thanks Guys :text-thankyouyellow:

dcrage

I destroyed a set of French Doors in our family room 3 years ago by NOT having the chute on when cutting grass and leaves in the fall after the acorns had fallen. My 37” SD shot an acorn across 20 ft of deck and up 3 steps shattering the windowed door. Spent $700 replacing it. The chute forced stuff down to the ground and is now used every fall. 42” SDs do NOT throw stuff as far as the 37” SD. 

• Sad 1

Dakota8338

I previously had a 42 inch rear discharge, and in reasonably well manicured lawn, pulling a sweeper behind the rear discharge, makes an extremely nice looking lawn, but for cutting taller & heaver (thicker) grass a side discharge really shines.  I have two 42 inch side discharge mowers at present.  I purchased them at any rate, but the boy keeps and uses one as his own.

Tankman

Nowadays I only have SD decks. OK. Work fine.

Did use RD decks, excellent. Towed a Jackson sweeper, nice clean lawns.

Either deck is fine but, I think groomed? The RD deck towing a sweeper fits the bill. :handgestures-thumbupright:

PS. Remove the two outer blades, "Honest Hon I'll clean my kitchen mess soon as I'm done mowing your lawn."

carrot-and-stick.jpg.118f912f6ab84496eda69113c0e07b93.jpg

• Haha 1

WVHillbilly520H

I throw in my :twocents-02cents:, have only used a 48" SD with my 520H since new and used the deflector at the place when I bought it and it did rather well after the ex and moved then parted ways the next couple places I mowed the properties were stump/root/rock stricken so the deflector came off as it seemed to catch everything, but on the flip side I wore more grass clippings, then my new residence I tried it without but soon put it back on and used the sweeper but the used 520 I bought a couple years ago doesn't have a deflector so back to wearing grass, then last spring I bought a SCUT(Mahindra eMax 22) with 60" MMM it has a thick (1/2") rubber deflector and I leave it down it does sweet job of dispersing clippings and haven't had to sweep much any since also the deflector either flips up or just bends a conforms to whatever it may come into contact with, also my Kioti came with 60" RD MMM that has never been back on the tractor since I bought but was told it did a fantastic job with getting clippings all over the operator, Jeff.

IMAG2685.jpg

IMAG3387.jpg