Joshn569

Deck id and service

Joshn569

Im getting ready to go through my deck. Is there anything I need to look out for besides the obvious stuff?  And Replace the blades or can they just be sharpend?

I took a pic of tag, any info on how to decode it is much appreciated. 

20180330_182229.jpg

20180330_182236.jpg

varosd

obviously, re bend back the height adjuster and it looks like the main lift bar looks a bit bent too.  I love my 36 RD deck, I feel it was the best cutting deck.  typical rust /rot areas where they put baffles in on some of the RD decks.  clippings would collect in there and rot out the deck lift bolts.  How is the underside?

dcrage

Blades are DEFINITELY made to be sharpened. I have been cutting with my 37” SD deck on my 310-8 more than 25 years. I have approx 10 years on my 2nd set of blades. 

• Like 2

gwest_ca

Click on the picture

Garry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Joshn569
45 minutes ago, varosd said:

obviously, re bend back the height adjuster and it looks like the main lift bar looks a bit bent too.  I love my 36 RD deck, I feel it was the best cutting deck.  typical rust /rot areas where they put baffles in on some of the RD decks.  clippings would collect in there and rot out the deck lift bolts.  How is the underside?

To me it looks to be in good shape, no major rust or rot 

20180330_195530.jpg

20180330_195514.jpg

• Like 4

varosd

looks good. but dig into the slots for baffles. original paint? 

they had some baffles on some other different decks over the years.  i guess they tried to improved mulching?  the problem came with clippings collecting in the dead space of the baffles.

• Like 1

608KEB

I cut triangle shaped holes into the flat steel on the underside that's used to reinforce the deck. It makes it easy to clean out. Also prevents moisture from building up and rusting out the deck.

peter lena

have my original 36 rd from 1982, regular service is the key .  drilled  one  1, 1/8 " holes in the reinforcement triangle , both sides for clean out and oil soak down. regularly ( lubriplate cable and chain spray )

it down to feed the metal and stop rust. twice a year oil down / clean bottom side of deck, leave it upside down in sun , to heat up and dry out, (  just the opposet  of the life it lives ) . also do this at end of season  , so oil can  soak into metal upside down over winter, deck looks fresh and no rust.  (  what a concept ). I like royal purple grease in my spindles, smoother faster running, also for my pto needle bearing, that deck and drive just runs without effort. replace wheels ,  home depot has them for  7 $  each, solid poly with steel axel hole, grease able . sorry don't have the link on that, easy to track. replace blades as needed , Kevlar belts, d&d internet. the deck looks good and savable, don't let it die  , the metal looks starved for lubrication to me , save it while you can . pete

• Excellent 1