chemist

416-8 running out of ideas

chemist

This is the tractor~1989 416-8 I grew up with so I want to get her back up and running.  I am not getting any juice, nothing lights on the dash and the voltage meter on dash.  

The battery is fully charged, I changed the fuses and relay, the ground cable is clean.

I know last time someone tried to start they cranked for a long time and likely burned something out.... any ideas?

Joshn569

If you have a test light or volt meter try and trace power from battery up to ignition switch and so on. Im sure there is a wiring diagram out there that can help you.  Good luck

ohiofarmer

Does the 416 have a kohler engine or an Onan?  there would be different things to look for on each one

pfrederi

1989 should be Onan  Wiring diagram is in this link... Good luck  I like C series and earlier too much electrical on these new things....

wire.JPG

• Like 3

chemist
7 minutes ago, ohiofarmer said:

Does the 416 have a kohler engine or an Onan?  there would be different things to look for on each one

Onan

chemist

What are the chances the ignition switch got toasted?

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

Look for the little fuse holder that holds the ATC style fuses. I have had dust and moisture get in there and cause corrosion.  I am also remembering [but not sure} that the rectifier located under the engine sheet metal cause a no-start on mine. Not exactly as durable as they should be.

The ignition switch is easy to test if you want to try that first.  There are smarter Onan guys here than me, but either of the problems I described will stop it from running

gwest_ca

A good detailed set of wiring diagrams

Garry

• Like 1

Forest Road

Jump a wire from battery to starter to confirm starter works. Then troubleshoot the old girl 

• Like 1

chemist
2 minutes ago, Forest Road said:

Jump a wire from battery to starter to confirm starter works. Then troubleshoot the old girl 

how exactly do I do that? yes, its a stupid question but it isnt something ive ever needed to do.

WVHillbilly520H

Get you a piece of 14 gauge or heavier wire about 3-4' long strip the insulation about 1/2" on both ends hold one end to the + terminal of the battery and then touch the other end to the battery terminal of the starter solenoid (may spark but don't be alarmed as long as you keep hold of the insulation not the bare wires), Jeff.IMAG2075.jpg.800dadd117708ad0de20bff163c41786.jpg 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

953 nut

:WRS:            Take a pair of automotive jumper cables and put the black one on the starter mount and the battery "-" and the red on the battery "+" and starter cable and the starter should turn over. If it will not turn over the starter has a problem. The fact that your lights don't work also leaded me to think you may have a bad cable or ground.

• Like 1

WHX??

In back of the motor is what we call a molex connector. Separate the two halves and look for any loose burned or corroded wiring.

Capture.JPG

59cadcb5179c0_plugairlines004_JPG_bc64a671ea7b8edfa301860bd333a03f.jpg

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Best of luck finding the problem. A great machine. 

Glenn

Forest Road

I usually just jump right across both sides of the start solenoid. That’s the doohickey w large diameter red wires on both sides one goes to back of starter and other to the battery. More room to do so on a Kohler think the Onan makes that area a bit tight.

Remeber your not cranking to start the engine you just want to verify the starter is good. So a quick tap is all you need. 

ohiofarmer

On more than one occasion, i had to use some penetrating oil on the starter solenoid which is part of the starter. There is a helix gear that engages the starter and it gets lots of dust that mixes with the grease and impedes the action. Again more of a problem with the Onans.   That is another reason to short to the starter to test it out [as has already been stated].  The reason I posted this is there is no reason to just go out and buy a new starter until you service your old one.

953 nut
3 minutes ago, ohiofarmer said:

i had to use some penetrating oil on the starter solenoid which is part of the starter.

Did you mean tie Bendix?            Clean the shaft well and use a dry graphite lube.

ohiofarmer
23 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Did you mean tie Bendix?            Clean the shaft well and use a dry graphite lube.

Yes, the Bendix absolutely

• Like 1

chemist

Thank you everyone, I finally found the issue.  The molex connector below the oil filter was toasted, and as is always the case it was turned just right so the melted bits where perfectly hidden until I started poking around with a test light.  Luckily I had a molex that I never ended up using for the car that was perfect....now on to figuring out if I have a fuel issue or if it just needs to prime.

wire.JPG

Edited by chemist
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 4
  • Sad 1

WHX??

Glad to hear you found it guy:handgestures-thumbupright:. Just about every other 416/520 Onan powered tractor we look at here on RS has had that connector removed/replaced/bypassed in one form or another!

• Like 1

boovuc

ONANS! Got to love em'!

• Haha 1

Lost Pup

I replaced the Molex connector  on my 416H. More than enough slack wire to do the job.

Not sure how long your 416-8 sat unused, I would consider cleaning the carb and flushing the fuel tank and lines as well.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1