classicdmax

What happened to my horse

classicdmax

Points brand new, been in a sealed bag since purchased prob 2yrs ago

i did clean with emery cloth.....nothing 

Ed Kennell

DId you try the 12V jumper to the +coil  post like suggested in post #8 ?  This would eliminate wiring and ignition switch questions.

• Like 1

classicdmax

No sorry I forgot

i spent 3hrs today seeing red....wasn’t thinking clearly

classicdmax
On 3/28/2018 at 8:35 AM, Ed Kennell said:

Connect a wire from the + battery post to the +coil post.     The + coil post is marked, but it may be difficult to see.    The - coil post should be connected to the points and condenser and the + coil post should be connected to the ignition switches (I) lug.

Ok, ran jumper wire as suggested and have strong spark....

points new today

coil replaced last week, I still have one removed although it wasn’t more than a year old

condensor replaced this past fall

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

So, If you have a strong spark with the jumper on and no  the jumper off,    There is a problem with the ignition switch or the wire between the coil and the "I" tab on the switch.

Now if you have a good spark and it is not starting, it is not getting fuel.    If you have a good spark and spray fuel in the carb, IT WILL RUN.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

classicdmax

Even though turning the key to start? The ignition switch is sending the signal to at least turn over, but you’re saying a bad ignition switch can potentially lead to no spark?

classicdmax

Well, oddly enough I just checked for spark again by turning over with key and found strong spark....put plug back in and she fired off right away. I’m confused!

• Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

That's right.  The starter and ignition are two different circuits.     The Ignition switch can be connecting power to the starting circuit and not to the coil.

• Like 1

dells68
7 minutes ago, classicdmax said:

Well, oddly enough I just checked for spark again by turning over with key and found strong spark....put plug back in and she fired off right away. I’m confused!

Not that I know much, i don't, it almost sounds like a poor connection with one of your wires between the battery, switch, and coil.  Might want to clean them and reinstall with a little dielectric grease.  Considered ground, but if that was the case the starter would be effected as well.

• Like 1

classicdmax

Everything new, or wires I’ve touched as gotten the dielectric grease treatment

does anyone have a pn for new switch, I might as well just replace that

Sarge

If your meter has a range to set it to check open/closed circuits, it helps in setting that timing. It does almost take 3 hands, really small hands to set the gap and get everything to land correctly. One, you really don't need a feeler gauge in there, just your two screwdrivers. Set the initial gap, then use the static method to adjust it further to time the breaker point to the flywheel mark. When setting those points, you must consider the direction the set screw will drag the adjustment and compensate for it slightly. Also, that screw doesn't need much torque to hold the point gap, just lightly tighten it - then check the timing a few revolutions and re-adjust as necessary. Properly set, with a new set of points and that thing should last a very long time depending on moisture intrusion. Newer electronic ignitions aren't all that great - too much heat and they can fail or just break down to the point of being weak - the old tried and true coil/points setup will last for 50yrs + with a little work now and then, it's a bulletproof system.

I hope you didn't score the surface of the contacts with emery cloth too much - it will cause arcing over time and destroy them. That surface should be polished, a new set should be cleaned with just a sheet of clean paper and if you like some acetone will help. This is why dedicated points files are so smooth, it's about removing the oxide layer and polishing the surface - that's what makes them last.

Sarge

• Like 2

classicdmax

I believe I used 400g, but point taken....I was just getting a bit frustrated. I’ll hit them with acetone later when I get a chance

thanks for all the pointers 

posifour11

When I get frustrated, I go out and do something really physical. It's usually splitting firewood. When you wear out your body, your mind operates better. There's many times that I've had my "eureka" moment while letting my mind relax and making my body work. 

Does that make sense?

• Like 1

classicdmax

Oh it does, and I’ve been doing my fair share of wood splitting lately, unfortunately I process all my firewood off site from my home. I just have so little time lately with my son and sports I was just aggravated as it felt like time spent with no positive results

thanks