trevor

Tller D160 removal of pto shaft help

trevor

Hello, I have a tiller and the pto shaft does not move. I was told their should be movement in it to make putting tiller on hitch easier. Is this correct?

I have tried to remove shaft but can not Budge it is their a trick to removing it?

IMG_20180326_091711.jpg

Skipper

The PTO shaft is made from two pieces that slides together. Yes it is supposed to slide, making it longer or shorter. That is also essential when going up and down in the 3pt. if it does not move, you can/will break something. On your picture you can see markings to where it has been pushed together previously. You should be able to pull it apart easily and lube it up. Be careful not to bash on it, as it is connected to the tillers internals.    

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 4

"Manic-Mechanic"

PB Blaster! Prayer! Gentle "tapping around the outside".

• Like 1

trevor

Ok.  I will be careful not to tap too hard.  

"Manic-Mechanic"

Make sure to get the PB Blaster down inside there pretty good and the shaft inside there is only about 8 inches. Maybe soak from the spline end down and if not, then from the other end and raise it up so the penetrating oil gets inside between the shaft and housing. Do you have a brass hammer or plastic dead blow hammer? Does the drive shaft turn? If not soak the little shaft going into the gear box while your at it. I picked my tiller up it was stuck in the same two spots, now I cover those ares with plastic bags when not in use. A thin layer of grease on there  once you get it lose couldn't hurt.

Tiller 50in 1980-82 07-50TL01 TIPL.pdf

Pto Rear 1973 8-3221 #A-5331.pdf

Edited by Oldman
  • Like 1

trevor

So I got the shaft off the tiller.  The shaft turns and everything.  Still can't get shaft apart.  I took it to a shop and they tried for a bit but told me that i would have to buy a new one.  I have placed it back into a soaking bin of motor oil.  I also have tried different things like sprays and a homemade potion of paint thinner and automatic transmission fluid.  I tried hearing with a propane torch but I dont think the torch will get it got enough to do anything.  So any ideas on what i could/should try next?  Can i still get a pto shaft for This?  Thx

Edited by trevor
  • Like 1

gwest_ca

Item 51 must fit inside 56.

It might not be fully collapsed. Try slamming the end of it down on a block of wood to see if you can shorten it. Even a few thousandths would mean it moved.

Garry

Tiller 50in 1979 97-50TL01 Pto SS.jpg

• Excellent 2

"Manic-Mechanic"

The shaft is hard to find but A-Z might have one? He's a vendor on this site, :text-goodpost:I agree with the above post, if it moves even slightly it'll free-up. 

(I won't suggest any other extreme measures as it then becomes a bit dangerous, Lol!)

Edited by Oldman
  • Like 2

Sarge

Take the thing to any welding shop that works on ag equipment - they will have it apart in no time, these guys deal with splne coupling heads all the time and know what to heat and what not to heat to pull it apart. Might want to take a copy of the drawing with you - it will show them how the sleeve works since they are opposite of other types of equipment. Most times it's either hardened grease or some of the splines are notched from wear. He might have to run a bead around the outside to expand it , but it won't hurt anything.

Sarge

• Like 3

trevor

Good point.  I did take it to a tractor shop but they deal mostly with residential type of equipment.  I will continue the journey.  Hopefully the end is fruitful. 

• Like 1

RDHale

Trevor..........  Did you ever find a way to get the  PTO shaft apart ?  I have a tiller exactly like this and the the main clog behind the pto shaft is busted. Cant find one any where.  Ive looked here and on amanzon with no luck .

Rick          P.S.  If anyone knows where I might find a gear box for a model 50TL01 I would like to know . Thanks

Edited by RDHale

pgiro

It almost looks like someone crimped the two pieces together but I could be wrong.

trevor

I was able to remove the shaft off the tiller.  I am still soaking, tapping and pounding my shaft.  It has not moved yet but I am hopeful.... somewhat...

• Like 1

gwest_ca

-Another thought if you have what's needed

Chain it between two 6" diameter maples about 4 feet off the ground. You would need to protect the bark. Add a cable come-a-long to one side and take a good pull on it. The trees would bend and keep tension on the shaft. Hit one end or the other with a good sized hardwood round for a club to jar it once in a while. Given time it may yield to your persuasion.

Garry

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

"Manic-Mechanic"

Hello,    

I have this issue with mine as well, and I have not tried to deal with it off of the tractor, so it's a trial and error thing. I found just installing the tiller and adjusting the center link to align the tiller & shaft then running the tiller the shaft usually loosens up at that juncture. This year while putting the tiller on the shaft did not want to slide and I had to "make it fit" accordingly. This is because I failed to grease the two parts (51) & (56) after I was done. The tiller is kept out of the weather so it's always a puzzle to figure out why, perhaps old grease build up?

Edited by Oldman

"Manic-Mechanic"
46 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

-Another thought if you have what's needed

Chain it between two 6" diameter maples about 4 feet off the ground. You would need to protect the bark. Add a cable come-a-long to one side and take a good pull on it. The trees would bend and keep tension on the shaft. Hit one end or the other with a good sized hardwood round to jar it once in a while. Given time it may yield to your persuasion.

Garry

Gary,

where would he place the hooks of the come-a-long on the shaft, on the universals? I checked the shaft and the space on the universals is a wee bit narrow.

Edited by Oldman

trevor

Good points. I did try hooking one end to our truck and one end to a quad and winched. I then hooked it to a 1 ton transmission jack but I started to bend the jack. I don't know why the jack bent perhaps it had issues before hand. I think I will pick up a come along and try it between 2 trees.

• Like 1

"Manic-Mechanic"

:wwp:Amazing how tight that puppy got! Be sure to stand clear of the cable, a lot of pressure there for sure!

Edited by Oldman
  • Like 2

Skipper

You can get a new pto shaft made. If you want to go that route, I think I have link to a supplier somewhere.

• Like 1

"Manic-Mechanic"
On 4/6/2018 at 11:30 AM, RDHale said:

Trevor..........  Did you ever find a way to get the  PTO shaft apart ?  I have a tiller exactly like this and the the main clog behind the pto shaft is busted. Cant find one any where.  Ive looked here and on amanzon with no luck .

Rick          P.S.  If anyone knows where I might find a gear box for a model 50TL01 I would like to know . Thanks

You could check with A-Z, he has a good inventory of NOS or slightly used parts?

• Like 1

gwest_ca

The trick may be to get a chain hooked on the ends of the shaft. Don't know if it is irregular enough to grab a loop with a slip hook. Maybe a half hitch around the yoke using chain only. I would use a long chain or two shorter on the come-a-long side. I have grab hooks with rings that I can place anywhere along a chain and pull on them. Handy when it takes all the cable just to get everything tensioned. Hook one of the chains to the other to hold the tension and take another draw with the come-a-long. 

Be careful. Some chains can easily break and launch a come-a-long at you. Stay off to the side of it.

I can think up these wild ideas because I have Gr.70 and Gr.80 chain and hooks.

Garry

• Like 2

trevor

I used air craft cable to hook through the ends of the shaft and connected the cable together with a chain link. I used a 500lb load link.    

• Like 1

trevor

Skipper, I may need to that route. Can you send me the supplier info for a shaft to be made?   

Skipper

http://www.paulbparts.com/product-category/pto-shaft-drivelines/weasler-north-american-series-pto-shaft-parts/weasler-6-series-pto-shaft-parts/

not sure if it is OK to post here.  If not I'm sure a MOD will remove it.

Then contact me and I can PM it, og go to google. Type: weasler 6 series pto

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 1

"Manic-Mechanic"

Say,

did you ever bother to contact A-Z Tractor? I will be hearing back from him today and I will check with him on a shaft, might be in luck.......No luck, sorry. Wheel Horse Show in June?

Oldman

Edited by Oldman