car

268 Hydro clutch won't disengage

car

I'm back with the same problem. At first I thought it was the PTO switch, so I replaced it and it worked. Only tried it a few times after installing it this passed winter. So after getting it out this year its back to the deck running all the time. Its not the switch. I unplugged the clutch and started the mower and the belt is running with the clutch unplugged. Is there a way to free up the clutch or I'm I looking at opening a can of worms by freeing up the clutch and it not working at all?

953 nut

I'm not sure what clutch you have. I had one years back that had a manually operated cone shaped clutch and had to sand the rust off it to fre it up.

gwest_ca

I would remove the belt and see how the clutch pulley spins by hand. There is a bearing in it that allows it to spin when not engaged and if the bearing starts to fail it can add drag to the clutch or make it solid if the bearing is locked up.

Garry

• Like 2

car
19 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

I would remove the belt and see how the clutch pulley spins by hand. There is a bearing in it that allows it to spin when not engaged and if the bearing starts to fail it can add drag to the clutch or make it solid if the bearing is locked up.

Garry

Ok I'll try that. If it is locked up what are my options other than replacing the whole thing to fix it?

gwest_ca

This service manual details only the electrical aspects of the pto. That leads me to believe it is not serviceable but the bearing was installed so there may be a way of replacing it if that is what the problem is.

Section 6 covers the pto clutch. Click on the picture.

Garry

• Like 1

gwest_ca

I may be off on my thinking here.

If the pto is off the pulley should contact a brake so with the belt removed the brake may prevent you from spinning the pulley to check the bearing.

But - it the brake is holding it why is it turning under engine power and pto off?

Maybe you can back off the brake to check the bearing.

Never had one with an electric clutch so no experience.

Garry

car

I removed the belt, it does spin , but not freely. It turns a little hard and sometimes it catches and the whole shaft turns. There is a reference in the manual to adjusting the air gap. If the adjustment was not right would this cause it to turn all the time? I've never adjusted it and the pto has worked correctly in the past. Running it like this, could it cause any other damage?

oldredrider

What you're describing is the symptom of a bad bearing. If the air gap was the problem, it would be a constant pressure on the pulley.

• Excellent 1

car

Ok, makes sense. Looks like I'll be shopping for a new PTO. Do you see any reason why I couldn't run it like that until I replace the PTO?

oldredrider

You could probably replace the bearing. I've done that on a few. Much cheaper than a new PTO. 

Running it with a bad bearing will pretty much guarantee you'll be replacing the PTO.

car

Ok, where did you find the bearings for it?

Sarge

You can pull the clutch off and take it to a machine shop,  they can generally figure out how to press the bearings out so you can get numbers for replacements.

Sarge

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

I went through quite a few bearings in mine and they can be a bear to replace the first time. They are staked in but a common bearing. . Eventually the coil fried and had to bite the bullet and get the whole clutch here. https://xtremeope.com/

Much better and quite cheaper than one from Toro

• Like 1

car
49 minutes ago, WHX14 said:

I went through quite a few bearings in mine and they can be a bear to replace the first time. They are staked in but a common bearing. . Eventually the coil fried and had to bite the bullet and get the whole clutch here. https://xtremeope.com/

Much better and quite cheaper than one from Toro

I looked them up, not a cheap price, but they do look good. I guess you get what you pay for. Thank to all of you that helped me with this problem. Also I didn't hear from anyone about if I continue to run it the way it is will it do any damage to anything else?

oldredrider

Yes, you can damage the crankshaft then you will really be in the big money.

• Like 1

WHX??

Yes you can run it with no damage --- just leave the mower belt off.

• Like 1

car

Next question, is the PTO and pulley only held on by the bolt/washer on the bottom of the shaft? I took the bolt off and pried just a little and it didn't move. Do you need to use a GEAR PULLER TO REMOVE IT?

WHX??

Hate to laugh but was wondering when you were gonna get to that point buddy. They can be a pain to get off. Not to be debbie downer here but the first time mine had to come off I wrecked it....to the tune of 284 clams to a Toro dealer for a whole new one. Now heres the deal tho my ignorance could be your gain There is a bolt that goes up through the bottom . Stop me here at any point if I am wrong as mine is a 246H but should be similiar. If you got that bolt out thats a real good start. that bolt holds the clutch and the belt pulley to the rear on. They are separate pullies. Everything is keyed to the  crank but in a simple way. Start soaking the crankshaft from both below and above the clutch with your favorite penetrant Then wait and give it somemore. Be patient. I wash that area alot after mowing because  I am a dummy so might not be rusted as mine. I used a puller on it then and bent the drive sheave to the deck all to he#% but then again I am stupid and didn't use lubricant. 

Try and tap down down on the pto nd if you are lucky it will start to move off. You might have to use a puller but do so with caution or you will be doing businesswith the site that I posted. The sheaves are stamped steel and will bend. 

• Like 1

WHX??

Here's where pics would come in handy but unforunately I have few....have to see what I do have and post them ifany help.

WHX??

For all those following this is a vert shaft tractor right Car?

car

Ok, I've got it soaking. I'll work on it tomorrow. Thanks!

car

Yes it is a vertical shaft.

Edited by car

car

The Wheel Horse god stopped by my house last night! I went out this morning to spray the PTO again and pry and tap (hit it). after doing that a few times I discovered that the pulley was turning real easy, you could actually spin it. I thought what are the odds that the clutch is working now. So I put the belt back on, put the bolt back in, plugged it in, started it, drum roll........ the clutch/pto seems to work fine. I cycled it several times and it turned on and shut off every time. Now when I sprayed PB on it, I only sprayed the very top of the shaft allowing it to puddle on top of the clutch next to the shaft. I don't think me spraying had anything to do with the clutch working now. It would have to be tapping on it. What do you guys think? Anyway I'm glad it's working!!! Thanks again for all the help with this!

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Good news buddy :handgestures-thumbupright:

3 hours ago, car said:

What do you guys think?

I think when you can afford to lay the tractor up for a little you should still disassemble, clean & inspect.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
11 hours ago, car said:

I sprayed PB on it, I only sprayed the very top of the shaft allowing it to puddle on top of the clutch next to the shaft. I don't think me spraying had anything to do with the clutch working now. It would have to be tapping on it. What do you guys think?

PB Blaster is a great penetrant but not too much of a lubricant. The bearing may have freed up from it or hammer blows but either way it will need to be repaired or Murphy's Law will get you.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1