Goldnboy

B80 pto adjustment

Goldnboy

I have a B80 that I acquired from a PO that had the PTO rod shortened and rewelded and the spring removed from the brake pad bracket. I replaced the rod with a non welded adjustable, and reworked the muffler with a 45 so then new rod would fit in. After researching manuals and forum i can only determine that i need to have a 1/8 or less gap between the clutch plate and the bell housing. I can adjust the trunnion all the way in and it seems that some pressure is applied to disk and going all the way out a less is applied. However all pictures i have seen most everyone has the trunnion at least half way up the rod and state that you engage the pto rod with a lot of force, that is not my case at all. Is the stub with the bell housing the problem, it looks like there is plenty of disk plate left.20180327_070408.jpg.ec70a1d11ebbc781c67410c1d83f6342.jpg20180327_070339.jpg.b0570848436d615d4bbfda1af4065be2.jpg20180327_070552.jpg.e7fb662ac116180014e86c25f15118a7.jpg

gwest_ca

The last picture shows the stub shaft with the snap ring on it. That snap ring should be up against the inner race of the bearing. It has likely spun a bearing at one time and caused the stub shaft to wear. If you pull the pulley assembly off there was originally a few parts in there to push the pulley out to disengage the pto. Later on they eliminated those internal parts and used a stub shaft with two snap rings - one each side of the bearing.

You can see the later parts here

http://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/31-12k801-312-8-toro-312-8-garden-tractor-1990/pto-clutch-and-control/

Don't know how this will affect your current complaint.

Garry

wallfish

Definitely has too much space. Like the clutch disc (43) is not out far enough away from the engine. Could the drive pulley be installed backwards? It should have a "bump out" facing out away from the engine which is about the distance of the space you need to make up so it will engage. But, Don't remember if the threaded holes for the bolts would be there on the wrong side or not.

Also curious how that belt guard gets way in there between the drive pulley and the clutch disc. I'm not totally familiar with B80s but usually you would be able to see the drive belt between the front end of the belt guard and the drive pulley.

clutch.jpg.bf586938972011e86cecd5a18881138b.jpg

Goldnboy

I would not surprise me with the shape i retrieved this in since the drainned about 2qt of water out of tranby and did diesel flush. But, I did trade a swisher big mow for it! I will look into the stub shaft on the end I do remember reading other postings about this issue. 

KC9KAS

Goldnboy

Pulled the last night and found a spring and snap ring loose inside. So since one short stub is going outside and the replacement has two snap rings does the other pointed stub come out of the neddle bearing race?20180328_071150.jpg.b2fee9a9c21e01362efb381c0c154234.jpg20180328_071202.jpg.0ceb93ae5c65d1b50b541c9d4ff94583.jpg

gwest_ca

Don't understand your question.

Parts 14-103, 14-104, 14-106 and 14-107 are likely what you have and you can eliminate them.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/61-08k803-b-80-toro-b-80-8-speed-tractor-1976/14-050-manual-p-t-o-fig-14b/

Replace 14-75 in the above illustration with the newer 102872 shaft and two 32120-72 snap rings.

Garry

Goldnboy

Thanks Gary this does answer my question

TDF5G

It may be possible that the transaxle belt drive pulley on the crankshaft has moved back toward the engine also.  I had one of my tractors do that. 

Edited by TDF5G

Goldnboy

Today took the harmonic balancer and pulled the engine drive pulley back almost half inch. The pulley had been rubbing against the block for some time and a set screw was missing. It took a lot and effort from the big impact wrench but it always wins! Reassembled and now everything lines up and i can adjust the pto like you should. Took for a test and it mowed the overgrown grass with ease! Thanks TDF5G

• Like 1