Macgyver

522xi carb problem

Macgyver

Hi I have had a lot of experience with the Onan carbs & engines. This Kohler is new to me. It's been sitting in a barn for a couple years and was parked because of electrical problems well got that fixed. It does run idle to mid range seams ok but going to full throttle it stumbles and dies. How should I proceed? It has fresh gas and a good slug of Seafoam in it.

Kurt-NEPA

I'm thinking its time for a carb cleaning.  I had a Crapsman 22hp GT with a Kohler V-Twin that did what you are describing.  I tried the quick clean route and it didn't help.  I searched around and found a replacement carb for short money.  That did the trick.  I think a better cleaning would have worked too.  BTW, the 522xi uses the same carb as my old Crapsman.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

I didn't have my xi very long but don't those Kohlers use a electronic shut solenoid ?I only bring this up is if that solenoid can be removed before soaking it does it matter? Jeff.

DennisThornton

My 520Lxi has a Kohler with an electric valve.  I did remove, test and clean it and EVERYTHING from the tank to the carb innards!  And EVERYTHING needed it!

• Like 2