Sign in to follow this  
leachy

No Spark

leachy

Hi Gents I did pose a question a couple of weeks back and I am still working on the issue. Basically I have had to rip out all the wiring on the 518H and rewire the ignition and the starter system direct from the key switch. Can you help with the following.

1,I left the key switch on and noticed burning on the coil basically the coil has burnt out. (This was before I ripped the wring out). Would a coil burn out by just leaving ignition on or was it probably damaged previously> I have just got the unit and it hasn't run for a couple of years. I just don't want to put a new coil on to find it burning out. The Toro shop wants $300 for a new coil.!!!

2, I have a ohm meter on the 2 wires for the triggering device. there is no resistance on the device. When I rotate the engine should this device open and close to ground the voltage. What should the reading on the ohm meter be as I rotate the engine up to and then past TDC?

3, Do we have 4 x wires on the + side of the coil. 1Coil + >, 2 condenser >, 3Trigger wire and>, rectifier??

4, If I have to get to the triggering device, How do I do it. I cannot see how I get the cover panel off surrounding the flywheel. Do I have to remove the flywheel to get to it?

leachy

Can anybody draw me up a ignition, starter and charging circuit similar to the one somebody posted relating to a different engine? I am struggling here. Wheel Horse 518H Onan engine Oh anybody got a coil for sale??

Basic-cover-letter-template.docx

onanparts.com

Here is the coil and module testing info. New coil if needed is under $100.00 

CoilTest.jpg

Ignitiontest.jpg

Ignitiontest.pdf

CoilTest.pdf

• Like 2